cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fantastic fan or maxxair ?

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m contemplating replacing the original roof vent . The goals are less noise , less amps and reversibility. Whatโ€™s the consensus ? Thanks
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed
30 REPLIES 30

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
I have no problem with my Fantastic Fan. No rain sensor as I have a hood cover on the roof which lets me have the vent open even when its snowing or raining.
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
MaxxFan for me too. I have replaced the original 1 or 2 speed fan in my last two campers with 10 speed MaxxFan with remote control. The slower speeds pull very little current for when you are on battery but can still pull a little air across you on a hot night. I keep the remote by the bed for middle of the night comfort changes. The fold down rain hood keeps a low profile when down and can be used open in the rain in anything less than a monsoon.

pasusan
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced the functioning Fantastic Vent fan in our class B with a Maxxair Fan. It can stay open in the rain without a huge cover. Totally happy with the change.

Susan & Ben [2004 Roadtrek 170]
href="https://sites.google.com/view/pasusan-trips/home" target="_blank">Trip Pics

Rscconrad
Explorer
Explorer
maxx air for me. I had something go wrong with a the hinge after many years. I called to order a replacement part. They sent it to me no charge, not even for shipping.

Thatโ€™s not very common nowadays. I would definitely buy again.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
Monkey , your experience mirrors my thinking to a tee . I also regret taking out a well built aluminum vent and replacing it with plastic . Though I do feel the benefits outweigh the loss
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
I do wish my two fans had 10 speeds like the Maxxair.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

morley
Explorer
Explorer
We installed a Maaxair 0-6200K fan in our 5er last year. We did not get the remote control model as there was talk that the remote had to be right in line with the fan to operate it. Also the automatic rain cover closing option is supposedly not good if you were to leave your pet in the unit on a hot day and rain would automatically shut the vent and allow no air or cooling for the pet.
We like our fan and it works very efficiently with its 10:speeds, you can set it at a certain temperature to automatically come on and shut off, it can be used as ceiling type fan even if the rain cover is closed. While a bit of versatility is lost by having to manual operate the push button controls on the fan for fan speed and opening and closing the rain cover as opposed to a remote, to date this has not bothered us at all. One of the disappointing items for us was the roof vent frame on our unit was metal and the Maxxair replacement one is plastic that was a bit of a bummer. But overall the fan and cover quality, ease of installation, good performance make it a good choice.
We are very happy with it so far.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
ticki2 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
What kind of 'less amps' are we talking about?

A lot less than the 3.6 a of the original

3.6 amp is at max speed from what I recall.
Air drag comes with square of the speed.
Meaning if you lower the pumped volume by 1/2, your air drag/amps will drop to 1/4.
I see some kind of obsession with remotes in last years.
I bought inflatable bed, who had control buttons 10" from my head, yet it come with remote.
I am trying to avoid remotes whenever I can.
Not only Murphy says each time you will try to use it - the batteries will be dead, but sometimes finding it becomes task.
Than when fan stops working, your troubleshooting list goes long way down.

wopachop
Explorer
Explorer
Been eyeing the maxxair deluxe for a couple years. At some point they changed the remote. So if you find a good deal might check to make sure it's the new remote model.

I wrote an RV parts dealer once and asked what version. Lady said they would have to cut a box open to look and I told her its ok no thanks. Wasnt a serious buyer yet. Put a computer fan up there instead to get by.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:

A lot less than the 3.6 a of the original
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Theoretically speaking Maxx is forcing the air to make U-turn.
That lowers the efficiency and increase the noise.
Evidently not to noticeable level, but that's what law of physics indicate.

otrfun
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've used/owned both. IMO, they're both very similar in terms of noise and overall operation. However, given a choice, I prefer MaxxAir fans because they use two support brackets on the hinged cover assembly (vs. Fantastic Fan's one). MaxxAir's two support brackets offer much better support to the cover when it's open during windy conditions.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
I like my Maxxfan, 10 speeds, reversible, Remote control + Thermostatically controlled and built in 'protection hood' that lays down flat when not using it.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Fantastic fans come with 3-speed, so you can have it set to your liking and I they are reversible.
Where I camp - rain cover is not needed, when I hate the looks of them.
The better Fantastic comes with rain sensor for best of this World.
Get clear, smoked cover and double as skylight.
They were really fantastic as in the past the manufacturer would send replacement parts for free, but after change of ownership that changed.
Can't directly compare to Maxx, but then it might be simply economical decision.
From several options, I liked the wall controlled the best. You can put wall switch, or wall thermostat to activate the fan. The overhead controls are a bit annoying.
Bear in mind that air blades are design for certain operation. Putting them in reverse comes with big loss of efficiency, so don't plan on doing that on daily basis.

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman