cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Finding the truck, where to search?

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we hopefully have decided on the model and year range of the truck we want to tow our fifth wheel. We are looking at Ford F-250 super duty diesel 2008 or newer. We would love to find one already set up to tow a fifth wheel but having a hard time. We have called RV dealers, looked on auto trader, Craigslist and rvt.com, and RV trader.com. No real luck. Wondered it there was a website out there that I am missing? We are currently in CA but don’t mind traveling for the right truck.
Thanks zigpep
17 REPLIES 17

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Zigpep wrote:
We looked at the Chevy and dodge but to tow that much weight we need a dually which we really don’t want, unless we get a much newer one which we cannot afford. One poster mentioned the dodges are cheaper and that is not so on the sites we have looked at the dodges are very high in price and the Duramax diesels even more so,

Well if your budget is $25,000 then you best not buy a 2008 Ford 6.4 for $25,000. You will need to be prepared to put about $3,000 to $5,000 into bulletproofing or repairs.
I was a 40+ year Ford only owner, and went to a Cummins/Ram for a great TV.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

jkwilson
Explorer II
Explorer II
Look at all the sources and be willing to drive a bit to get what you want. Also be willing to turn around and go home empty handed.

I've bought may last two used vehicles and a tractor more than 3 hours from home, and made a dealer lower his price on another when I showed him the one I was going to drive 6 hours to buy if he couldn't make me a deal on what he had. Much better selection when you broaden the area.

Patience is a virtue if you have the time. I've had good luck on Cars.com and autotrader.com. Not so much CL.
John & Kathy
2014 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS
2014 F250 SBCC 6.2L 3.73

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford makes great trucks, but the 6.4L diesel they used from 2008 to 2010 was way more troublesome and expensive to fix than it's worth. Look at newer Fords, or try a GM or Ram.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Zigpep wrote:
We looked at the Chevy and dodge but to tow that much weight we need a dually which we really don’t want, unless we get a much newer one which we cannot afford. One poster mentioned the dodges are cheaper and that is not so on the sites we have looked at the dodges are very high in price and the Duramax diesels even more so,

The one ton rams and Chevys singles will tow as much as the Ford's singles. Ford over rated their numbers until they were forced to sign up to the new towing standards of towing couple of years ago.

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
"Buy once, cry once". If you want a Ford get the 6.7, if you want to cry get the Ford 6.4.

Otherwise look at GM and RAM. Your trying to buy a tow rig based off price, which I get, but the reason that the 6.0-6.4 powered Ford trucks are affordable is because their reputation for being a problem is well known and established. The Ram and GM trucks bring more money for a reason. It will likely cost less to buy the more expensive truck upfront than to buy the cheaper 6.4 in the long run. Remember when the day comes that you want out of the 6.4 it will be worth less and harder to get rid of. Their reputation is not going to improve. It is a known problem and will always be so.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Zigpep
Explorer
Explorer

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I sent you a PM
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Ron3rd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why rule out the GM Duramax and Ram Cummins diesels? Both good trucks
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
www.racingjunk.com look for the tow vehicle section

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lantley wrote:
donn0128 wrote:
Ford 6.0s and 6.4s were not very good. Had lots of problems and poor fuel economy especially the 6.4s. That is the biggest reason their prices are so cheap. Not sure why your insistant on Fords, when any of them will tow great. Dodges are probably the lowest cost, the I6 Cummins is a tried and proven work horse capable of 500K miles before overhaul.

I agree stating with the 2008 model year is a Fundamental mistake if buying a used diesel truck

2008 diesel Ford Truck is a mistake.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
donn0128 wrote:
Ford 6.0s and 6.4s were not very good. Had lots of problems and poor fuel economy especially the 6.4s. That is the biggest reason their prices are so cheap. Not sure why your insistant on Fords, when any of them will tow great. Dodges are probably the lowest cost, the I6 Cummins is a tried and proven work horse capable of 500K miles before overhaul.

I agree stating with the 2008 model year is a Fundamental mistake if buying a used diesel truck
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
After I bought my truck I was on Craigslist looking for 5ers. There were many ads with people selling both truck and trailer or willing to sell individually. Some of the individual truck prices looked like really good deals and are obviously set up for towing. Food for thought.

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've been looking and reading up on diesels, and I have ruled out the 6.4 and 6.0. If the newer 6.7's are out of the price range, I'd look at the GM, and Rams.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up