cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Florida I-75 TT Accident

WTP-GC
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday when traveling north on I-75, we hit a snag...traffic backed up for a few miles. There was an accident up around MM370, which is just south of Gainesville. As we approached, we saw a 30 plus foot TT laying on its "curb" side in the left lane. And as we passed it, there was the TV, cocked sideways with side damaged, rear end up in the air (but upright). The TV looked like an Escalade/Tahoe/Yukon, in that mid-2000's year range.

Now I don't intend to start a nasty argument about the TV perhaps being an incapable vehicle for that size trailer, but that was the first thing that came to mind. I have a LEO relative that was working the accident (saw him when we passed by), so I asked for some info. It appears the driver "lost control". There were some other comments from him as well, but in the name civility, we'll keep those private 😉
Duramax + Grand Design 5er + B & W Companion
SBGTF
43 REPLIES 43

mcsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a similar accident last summer. A 22-25' enclosed trailer being pulled by a F350 dually ended up jackknifed in the median of the freeway. It can happen even when it shouldn't.
2012 Express 3500 6.0, 3.42, 6-speed, E2 hitch, Prodigy P2
2014 Grey Wolf 26DBH

Bedlam
I would argue that most accidents can be prevented or reduced by reducing speed. Too many people are pushing the safety envelope and do not have a sufficient buffer to adjust to changing conditions.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
This we know; something went terribly wrong. RV'ing is supposed to be fun not put your life or your loved ones in peril.

Anything you can do to reduce the hazards and lessen the risks is worthwhile and that includes adequate tow vehicles.

Too many people think safety is just some buzzword or some kind of crutch for risk averse pansies. Once you've seen the destruction it can do to human beings you look at it differently. No pastime is worth your life, do it right! It doesn't have to be ultra expensive either. Sometimes it just takes a moment to think things through. I will disagree with some and say accidents don't just happen,

they are caused and can be prevented.

X2

If your worried about getting in an accident you have the wrong hobby. The fact of the matter is, RV'ing is a pretty dangerous hobby. Traffic accidents kill about 100 people a DAY in the US. Most of these are not in RV's so it's silly to dwell on RV set-up too much. IOW's most of these 100 people a day weren't towing a thing but they are still dead because they were in the wrong place and on the road at the wrong time.

I race cars at very high speed and 95% of the people I talk to say that's very dangerous sport. The fact of the matter is I have a very, very, very low chance of getting killed at the track I race at during a race. It's also a fact that I have a pretty high chance of getting killed during my 6 hour drive to and from the track while on a public road driving 55 MPH.

As far as all accidents are preventable? That's just silly. Case in point. 17 years ago my best friend and race car partner died in a car accident. The cause? Driving a race car at high speed on the track? Nope. Texting while? Nope. To small of a truck for his trailer? Nope. No WD or sway control? Nope; none of those.
He was hit head on by some kid who crossed over the line. My buddy had the reflexes of a cat so if anybody could have avoided the accident it would have been him. He was just going to work at 55 MPH and happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Case in point #2. My brother was killed in an auto accident 14 years ago. He was a cop and basically drove for a living. 6 months before retirement he was on the road doing his job and a big rig came across the double yellow hitting him head on. Boom, dead; along with 3 other people. I talked to his partner at the funeral and he stated there was nothing my brother could have done. (except not be on that road at that time)

Bottom line is this. Stat's show us that any time we are on a road in the US we are in danger. The more we drive, (whether on vacation or going to work) the more danger we are in. (A 100 people a day prove that) Sure, you can limit "your" end of the deal by buying a fancy hitch or buying a F350 or Peterbuilt to tow your pop-up. But that's only half of the equation. My racing partner and brother weren't towing anything and couldn't solve the other half of the equation and most likely neither can we.

Myself? I do the best I can and don't worry about this stuff. Whether I die in back of the wheel of a race car doing 140 or die driving my RV on vacation, at least I was doing what I want. 🙂
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
45Ricochet wrote:
He needed a dually :W

Now that is cool!

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
45Ricochet wrote:
He needed a dually :W

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
wing_zealot wrote:
"Now I don't want to start a nasty argument about the TV perhapsbeing an incapable vehicle..." but that's exactly why I started this thread.
There, fixed it for you OP.

:B
That was my reaction also.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
fla-gypsy wrote:
This we know; something went terribly wrong. RV'ing is supposed to be fun not put your life or your loved ones in peril.

Anything you can do to reduce the hazards and lessen the risks is worthwhile and that includes adequate tow vehicles.

Too many people think safety is just some buzzword or some kind of crutch for risk averse pansies. Once you've seen the destruction it can do to human beings you look at it differently. No pastime is worth your life, do it right! It doesn't have to be ultra expensive either. Sometimes it just takes a moment to think things through. I will disagree with some and say accidents don't just happen,

X2

The problem with "accidents" is there is usually more than one thing that caused it. Some people say that it was an inadequate tv not knowing any weights. Whether the tt was over the numbers on the door sticker or not doesn't make it an inadequate tv. We don't know the set up they had or how the trailer was loaded. We don't know how the brakes were on the trailer or how they were set on the brake controller. Experience and training will keep accidents from happening far more than a big truck hauling a little bitty trailer. Chances are one little squeeze of the brake controller will straighten a sway right out.;)
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
fla-gypsy wrote:

X2

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Paul_Clancy
Explorer
Explorer
martinto wrote:
Let's not confuse each other with the facts. The facts are this...we have no facts! We can only speculate what happened. I can speculate, and under the pretense of speculating, none of us have a clue what really happened.

True this. It's easy to pass an accident and make many assumptions that are wrong. I've done it. Went by a half ton on a grade hanging by hitch over a cliff connected to a long tt on its side - family with leo. Thought what the overloaded hell?? Then realized as I started to slide sideways with 5ver on that summer morning in the shade that the road was wet and slick as ice from concrete grinding. Bizarre and had I not felt the lack of traction I'd have never believed it. True what they say - you had to be there.

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
We were coming home yesterday along the same route except we got off in Ocala. It was windy yesterday and there were some interesting drivers. I know there were two or three TT's and 5'ers that blew by me. I lock in CC at 62 and enjoy the trip. Getting there 10-20 minutes earlier isn't worth it. I stay in the right lane and usually slow down when traffic is merging in.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

W4RLR
Explorer
Explorer
ktosv wrote:
Having driven this section of road many times for spring break, and not being there to see it, this is exactly what happened...;)

The far left lane was going 85mph while the right lane was going 75 mph. This person towing the trailer was going a resonable 65 mph in the center lane to avoid merging and exiting traffic. Someone going 90 mph decided they needed to pass on the right but there was unbelievably an even slower moving vehicle in the right lane. So to get back left before hitting said slow vehicle they cut off the SUV towing the trailer causing them to take evasive action but in the process lost control and flipped the trailer.
Something like the Jim Croce song says about "Speedball Tucker". When the cop points out that "75" is the route number and not the speed limit.
Richard L. Ray
SSgt USAF (Retired) Life Member DAV
W4RLR 146.52 mhz

2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Crew Cab
1995 Jayco Eagle 277RBSS fifth-wheel

"Never ask a man what kind of computer he drives. If it's a Mac, he'll tell you. If not, why embarrass him?"
Tom Clancy

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
My first thought would have been WOW.. hope the occupants are all okay.

But, that's just me.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
wing_zealot wrote:
"Now I don't want to start a nasty argument about the TV perhapsbeing an incapable vehicle..." but that's exactly why I started this thread.
There, fixed it for you OP.

LOL...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Let's not confuse each other with the facts. The facts are this...we have no facts! We can only speculate what happened. I can speculate, and under the pretense of speculating, none of us have a clue what really happened.

Hannibal
Explorer
Explorer
ktosv wrote:
Having driven this section of road many times for spring break, and not being there to see it, this is exactly what happened...;)

The far left lane was going 85mph while the right lane was going 75 mph. This person towing the trailer was going a resonable 65 mph in the center lane to avoid merging and exiting traffic. Someone going 90 mph decided they needed to pass on the right but there was unbelievably an even slower moving vehicle in the right lane. So to get back left before hitting said slow vehicle they cut off the SUV towing the trailer causing them to take evasive action but in the process lost control and flipped the trailer.

I live not far from I-75 in Tampa. We travel I-75 a lot! Your summary is spot on. I've seen many accidents over the years on I-75 involving everything from econo-boxes to RV's to horse trailers to 18-wheelers. We've been hit in the rear quarter panel twice over the years by people not paying attention drifting out of their lane. Watched an 18-wheeler cross the median and crash into the guardrail across oncoming traffic. A Suburban towing a 30~~ft travel trailer almost stopped before hitting the truck. buckled up the front of the Burb and made a V out of the hitch receiver. No injuries thankfully.
The Burb, Yukon, Tahoe isn't necessarily a bad TV.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jz-rgndtVbw
2020 F250 STX CC SB 7.3L 10spd 3.55 4x4
2010 F250 XLT CC SB 5.4L 5spdTS 3.73
ex '95 Cummins,'98 12v Cummins,'01.5 Cummins,'03 Cummins; '05 Hemi
2017 Jayco 28RLS TT 32.5'