cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ford 6.2 gas vs 7.3 gas highway gas milage

flyte63
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have real world HIGHWAY gas milage figures for a Ford Super Duty with about 3000lbs of truck camper in the bed? I’m specifically wondering about 2017-2021 F250 and F350 trucks with the 6.2 gas and new 7.3 gas engines. Reading online I see claims of similar or maybe only 1mpg less with the new 7.3 gas engine, but what about in the real world? (I know they have their place, but not interested Diesel numbers)
http://flyte63.blogspot.com
56 REPLIES 56

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will be picking up a new 2021 Ford F-350 dually 4x4 in less than two weeks.
It will have the 7.3 gas with 4.30 rear end. I will be putting an 2013 Eagle Cap 950 on it.

I is too bad, and always the case, that aftermarket shocks/sway-bars are not available this early in the model year.

I will update the forum as to how this truck performs.

This truck will be replacing a 2013 RAM 3500 4x4 dually.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess 10 speed can help in city and mountain driving.
My dually spend about 95% of its life on the highest gear and highest gear usually is the same regardless how many other gears you have.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
flyte63 wrote:
Anyone have real world HIGHWAY gas milage figures for a Ford Super Duty with about 3000lbs of truck camper in the bed? I’m specifically wondering about 2017-2021 F250 and F350 trucks with the 6.2 gas and new 7.3 gas engines. Reading online I see claims of similar or maybe only 1mpg less with the new 7.3 gas engine, but what about in the real world? (I know they have their place, but not interested Diesel numbers)

Keep in mind all the F350 are ten speed as of 2020. So comparing 2017-2019 to 2020+ will be slightly different with ten speed having the advantage.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
These MPG threads are totally dependant on the driver and his habits..There are some here that could make a VW Beetle get bad mileage.LOL

My last two 7.5 Fords(460) have both gotten 10mpg+ loaded ready to camp because I know I have a zippy/gas guzzlin' engine if I do not keep my foot out of it..I easily get 13+(never 14 yet) empty and 10+ with the TC on and the other was a Class C..LOL

I would not hesitate to get either of Fords engines or the Chevy 6.0 like my son has that's been bullet proof..
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
flyte63 wrote:

My 2012 6.2 gas flatbed 4x4 Fordor Ford at 100000 miles does 8-10 mpUSgal campering and 14-15 mpUSgal bob tail. Towing a 16 x 8-1/2ft tandem enclosed doesn't change it much except when the crosswind blows. Then 7 is totally achievable.

jsc253
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 F250 with the 6.2 gasser with 3:73 and hall a Northstar TC650 pop up truck camper. On the highway at reasonable speeds, I get between 11-12mpg. In town, it is less. The performance is fine but mileage with truck campers is never good!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Highway Runner wrote:
I am running the 6.2 Dually with a 4.30 axle. I am able to stay right around 10 mpg. The axle gear has something to do with mpg. The bigger the number, the lesser the mpg. Like one guy said, I didn’t buy mine for mpg, I wanted better pull going up hill.

Having run a lot of miles in 6.2 Fords. F250s, I can say your mileage is NOT the norm and either your reporting is, umm, optimistic, or you are basically hyper miling the truck.
Presume you’re saying 10 mpg with a big truck camper on. 10-12mpg sounds right driving empty.
Again, unless you have a bumper sticker that says “55 saves lives” and actually believe it!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
99 is the mpg for all Fords I’ve been in. You only have to hit reset and go down a steep hill. It’s the norm. 😉

You have a picture to prove it?
I have 1 for my sedan.
Bad news, 99.9 is end of the scale as for some time I was doing much better.

Click For Full-Size Image.

specta
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
Any way, larger engines generally get better mpg than small ones once the smaller ones are working hard. So, not a surprise that the 7.3 with more efficient transmission would get better MPG especially when the TC is loaded.

Years ago I worked with a guy who drove a Mustang with a 2.3L 4 banger.

He could never figure out why I got better mileage around town and on the HWY with my 5.0L HO.

His worked to move the car and mine didn't.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
99 is the mpg for all Fords I’ve been in. You only have to hit reset and go down a steep hill. It’s the norm. 😉

Any way, larger engines generally get better mpg than small ones once the smaller ones are working hard. So, not a surprise that the 7.3 with more efficient transmission would get better MPG especially when the TC is loaded.

The other issue that always comes up on the MPG threads is we all have different types of terrain to travel in, some draft trucks (you know who you are), and some drive really slow either because that’s the speed on the roads they like to travel or because they like to be a roadblock other traffic. 😄

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not trying to turn it into another diesel v/s gasser topic, but I bought my diesel mainly for mpg.
When couple of second gained at green light don't matter to me, the new diesel happen to have 440HP and close to 1000 torque, so coming from negative elevation and 124F in Death Valley I could just fly over surrounding mountains with 6000 lb camper just fine.
It is the old story "Pay less now and more later, or the other way around"
You see my long term mpg with camper in my footnote on 1st reply on the page.

Highway_Runner
Explorer
Explorer
I am running the 6.2 Dually with a 4.30 axle. I am able to stay right around 10 mpg. The axle gear has something to do with mpg. The bigger the number, the lesser the mpg. Like one guy said, I didn’t buy mine for mpg, I wanted better pull going up hill.
2015 Eagle Cap 1165
2016 F-350 Lariat 4x4, 6.2 Boss Dually, 4.30 Axle
Air Lifter 7500 XL w Rancho 9000s & Torklift Stable Loads

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sad truth is that 60 mpg for European sedans is a norm, when 7.9 for US build trucks towing with gasoline engine is not.

gsutton
Explorer
Explorer
little more realistic than 60 mpg.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For me 7.9 mpg with TC and cargo trailer @80mph goes to the box with 3 foot fish everyone is catching