cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

fresh water tank capacity

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
40 gallons of fresh water used up in two short days. We are training 2 granddaughters how to conserve from this point on. Do you guys have any suggestions or pictures of what you do to add water to your tank when its dry. We borrowed a 5 gallon bucket and funnel. Didn't work so good. Thanks
30 REPLIES 30

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
SoundGuy wrote:
shasta24 wrote:
Do you guys have any suggestions or pictures of what you do to add water to your tank when its dry.

Fresh Water Transfer (7 pics) ... been using one variation or another of this system for 15 years and wouldn't ever consider being without it. Inexpensive 7 gal Aquatainers, made of food grade plastic, are perfect for this application. :B

SoundGuy, your water system is amazing! This is a good example, of a handy man, with a little time, perfecting a transfer system, and quieting an otherwise noisy water pump.

Great job, with pics and vid!!

Jerry

Geno92308
Explorer
Explorer
I use a small 12v marine rated pump with a home made dip tube to pump from barrels. My Rv water hose goes from the pump to the trailer. I have added a cigaret adapter to power the pump. No switches necessary. It pumps 50 gallons in 15 min.

Conservation is king. All this extra water can end up in the gray, so we keep our sink use down. For example, we brush our teeth with bottled water spitting in the outside garbage. Washing dishes is another killer of water,

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
shasta24 wrote:
40 gallons of fresh water used up in two short days. We are training 2 granddaughters how to conserve from this point on. Do you guys have any suggestions or pictures of what you do to add water to your tank when its dry. We borrowed a 5 gallon bucket and funnel. Didn't work so good. Thanks

wire in a water pump in the pass through next to the inlet. dip tube on the water pump inlet, stick outlet tube into the fresh inlet opening. turn on switch, pump away.

And teach the grandkids etc. conservation. DW and I, daughter, SIL and an 8 and 5 year old grandkids 40 gallons seldom lasts LESS than 2 days, usually 3 full days, and refill sometime day 4
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
I made a funnel from a 2 litre pop bottle. We we refill the water tank using it with 9 litre bottle. It worked well last winter when we camped in the desert
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

69_Avion
Explorer
Explorer
We have gone 2 weeks with the 80 gallons in our 19.5' trailer. And that is with 3 people including one 12 year old.
Conservation methods need to be implemented.
Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
shasta24 wrote:
Do you guys have any suggestions or pictures of what you do to add water to your tank when its dry.

Fresh Water Transfer (7 pics) ... been using one variation or another of this system for 15 years and wouldn't ever consider being without it. Inexpensive 7 gal Aquatainers, made of food grade plastic, are perfect for this application. :B

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
With atleast four kids, often we have additional, we can camp three days on our less than 30 gallon fresh water tank.I have water conservation heads, or restrictors, on all sinks and the kids have learned. It I hear water running while brushing teeth I shut off the pump and they remember. I have sent them after a pot of water just to drive the point home. Word travels fast when you get them involved. It is a simple cause and effect lesson. Best of luck
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
Can't imagine using that much water that quick. Did one of the kids leave the water on? I have a gadget called a Water Thief that has a universal hookup on one end and a standard hose fitting on the other. You just use your fresh water hose to go from the campground's tap to your intake. Course you have to go close to the tap for it to do any good. I have a fairly small truck camper so water management is important. I think our gray water tank is 15 gallons...

lgarcia
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have an outside hose at the house, but sometimes I want to have water in the fresh water tank if someone is spending the night in the TT.

I went to Dollar General and bought a couple of plastic watering cans that had detachable sprinkler heads. Take off the sprinkler heads, and the diameter of the spout fits into the fill opening of the tank.

I can use the spray nozzle at the kitchen sink to fill them. They hold about 3 gallons each, so I tote two over to the TT and back a few times.
-Laura
2016 Shasta Oasis 18BH (specs and floor plan in profile)
2015 Ram 1500 Hemi

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
shasta24 wrote:
On another point, If a manufacture sells a camper that sleeps 10 people, why would it only have a small water tank? I looked at other campers that only sleep 4 to 6 and they have huge tanks. Just makes little sense. It would be cool to add a second tank.

Tank capacity involves tradeoffs. More water = more weight. Tank placement affects the weight and balance, changes axle loading, changes hitch weight, etc. Adding a second tank or a larger tank could create a domino effect of other needed changes.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
If you can get your bucket higher than the fill hole then just use an oklahoma credit card (siphon hose). I suspect since you are already camping your options may be limited. If there is something on your trailer or a limb overhead you can throw a rope over a limb to help hoist up the bucket of water. Here is a video of a homemade funnel made from an office water bottle. old guy's option is best. I recently purchased a second 12 volt water pump. I took a 50 foot garden hose and cut it in the middle. one end has a screen in it like your washing machine. I throw this end in the stream of water and hook the pump to my truck battery and run the other 25 foot hose on other end of pump back to a barrel in my truck bed. When I get back to the RV I just reverse the process to fill my fresh water holding tank. homemade funnel

shasta24
Explorer
Explorer
On another point, If a manufacture sells a camper that sleeps 10 people, why would it only have a small water tank? I looked at other campers that only sleep 4 to 6 and they have huge tanks. Just makes little sense. It would be cool to add a second tank.

You_can_t_take_
Explorer
Explorer
I use a red plastic gasoline Jerry can with the yellow spout. It is labelled with a large black marker for "WATER ONLY" and the spout works very well. I have never used it for anything but water. Mine is a 3 gallon since I don't like to carry anything heavier. Two would work well if you have the space to store them when not in use and carrying one in each hand cuts down on the trips to the tap.
1960's: Tents.. 1970's: Soft top & Hard top P/U.. 1980's: 17' RV.. 1990's: 24' RV.. 2000's: 2002 Cougar 276EFS; 2005 Laredo 29GS; 2002 GMC 2500HD Ext Cab 4x4; 2015: 2006 Class 'B' Chateau Citation; "(Nfld/Labrador-Yukon/NWT/Alaska-Gaspe', Que./Florida!!)

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have a water hose? Camco has an adapter that you can put on the end with a shutoff and a clear tube that you can insert into the fresh water tank filler. Look at Camco...then see if your local Wally World or Camping World has one.

http://www.camco.net/Products/Item?prodID=10092#.Vfd2sRFViko
Mark

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used the hose that I use to put in the antifreeze to winterize. I put it into the 5 gallon containers. I carry 3-4 containers
Traveling with my best friend my wife!