cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front bumpers with receivers?

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
By chance, (and this is mainly opinions I'm looking for), what is a good brand of bumper that sports a front receiver hitch? I'm looking at getting a front cargo rack for additional space, so might as well look into a decent front hitch setup.

Just wondering what people use for this, brand-wise.
16 REPLIES 16

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We had two collisions, neither our fault, but decided after that and the need to be able to access our spare without unloading the camper and or our custom bumper/steps in God knows where, to change out the bumper and get a Ranch Hand brand with welded in receiver. It's strong, fits the truck like a custom one, and one doesn't have to watch bolts working loose. We cleared out the under truck tire space and installed a grey water holding tank there as our old Shadow Cruiser didn't have one. That space could also hold additional an fresh water tank or whatever. We like it because the receiver tube is higher off the ground than some setups and the tire, or generator, doesn't stick up way above the hood If I remember it was around $1,100 installed and then sell the NEW old bumper that wasn't damaged for a few hundred and the thing was cost effective. That's us, this is you, ya just have so find what works for YOU.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Super_Dave wrote:
No bumper replacement. I went with a Drawtite Hidden Hitch.

Dave, was it easier to install with the truck flipped over?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a front hitch that I got from etrailer but stock bumper. One thing to keep in mind is how low front hitches can be. Sure, there are adapters to raise the hitches, but keep that in mind when planning out your front hitch carrier.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

ol__grouch
Explorer
Explorer
mlts22 wrote:
Thanks for the links. The front is likely where my generator is going to wind up. The bumper is important too. Because the local deer population is protected and have no fear of people, I've already had a glancing deer strike on my old truck, and a bumper is far cheaper than a new radiator if it gets cracked due to a direct hit.

As for the generator, I either might just use my old Yamaha 3000iSE which has performed superbly, or I might just bite the bullet and go for a Honda solution, because parts are a lot easier to find for them when in rural areas.

Several years ago, I put a Warn Trans4mer system on a Jeep I had. I clobbered a Deer on the highway and the next day I just rinsed the blood and fur off it. It's a modular system and I ordered the front hitch receiver for it. Really handy for moving trailers around without having to twist around.
Honk if you love Jesus.
Text if you want to meet him.

deserteagle56
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Aluminess (www.aluminess.com). Quite spendy but excellent protection and very light compared to a steel bumper. It has a storage compartment that can be used for ? or a winch, and a receiver hitch is an option.
1996 Bigfoot 2500 9.5 on a 2004 Dodge/Cummins dually

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the links. The front is likely where my generator is going to wind up. The bumper is important too. Because the local deer population is protected and have no fear of people, I've already had a glancing deer strike on my old truck, and a bumper is far cheaper than a new radiator if it gets cracked due to a direct hit.

As for the generator, I either might just use my old Yamaha 3000iSE which has performed superbly, or I might just bite the bullet and go for a Honda solution, because parts are a lot easier to find for them when in rural areas.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer

2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
No bumper replacement. I went with a Drawtite Hidden Hitch.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

usmcshepherd
Explorer
Explorer
To answer your question I put a Ranch Hand bumper on my 2011 Ram and it has an integrated 2" receiver hitch. Solid as a rock too and offers you true front end protection!

2011 Ram 3500 / 2013 Lance 1172
Semper Fi
MGySgt/USMC

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Buckstop bumpers, these will save your truck in a Deer or Elk strike
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
I had one welded on cost around $350 installed. Have to think a replacement bumper will be double or triple that if you find one.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW

rjf7g
Explorer
Explorer
I looked and looked for a front receiver for my 1999 Dodge Ram Maxi Van chassis (class B camper) and could not find one. So, I got a friend of mine to make one - he bought a receiver tube and did a little bit of welding. Total cost to me for the receiver was $60 and it has been tested at 500 lbs!

1999 American Cruiser Class B
2006 Palomino Puma 27FQ Bunkhouse
2007 Gulfstream Innsbruck 36FRS Park Trailer

MrPhelps
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Bodiak

Bodiak Hitches

- 2018 RAM 3500 Laramie DRW
- 2018 Host Cascade Dual Slide

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I use a Curt front mount hitch. Bolts directly to frame with OEM holes, install in less than one hour. Sits just below the front bumper an still have tow hooks.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian