cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front Cargo Rack Creating Overheating

Christl
Explorer
Explorer
HI Folks: Just back from 12000kms trip to Maritimes. Found out loading of front cargo rack created to much air flow reduction to rad compartment and caused overheating problems. I posted write-up and pictures dated 08/18/13 attached to original topic posted 06/18/13. I suspect most folks will miss the information since they are not likely scanning/viewing a 3 month old list of postings. cheers
28 REPLIES 28

rfuerst911sc
Explorer
Explorer
How about using two boxes with a space in the center between them for air flow ?

Wheelholder
Explorer
Explorer
I put my honda 2000 on a hitch haul on the front of my 08 chevy. It did cause the trans temp to climb, especially in slow traffic. It got up to 203 degrees and I stopped and removed the gen from the carrier. The temp dropped back closer to the normal operating temp.

I called an Allison trans dealer and he told me as long as the trans temp did not go above the coolant temp, should be ok. Do not feel comfortable with that, so have been trying to figure out a way to channel air to the tranny cooler. I like the pvc pipes. I had thought of using a/c ducting to do the same. Just have not gotten around to it yet.
2008 Silverado crew cab Duramax/Allison
2008 Lance 830

niftypkg
Explorer
Explorer
One of greatest cause (If not the greatest) of transmission failures is heat. An expensive replacement. Rebuilts are not warranted for very long.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
bobndot wrote:
Yes, i crawled under the truck and saw that . Wondered that myself :h.

It's not like air that goes to the front can't go down to the trans cooler, too. I haven't looked at the particular design, but generally air can travel to both if it goes through the grill. Also, due to the aerodynamics of the box, the air could have been missing the slot before and the new air from the tubes went down into the area that was being missed.

In any case, I like the concept of moving air from the front of the box to the grill area. I think I'd create a wider duct and attach it to the rack instead of the box only because I feel like you'd have more flexibility to carry other things.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
DWeikert wrote:
bobndot wrote:

Overall , the tubes seemed to lower the trans. temp more than the water temp. That was important.

Curious since I believe the trans cooler is actually fed by that slot in the bumper and it doesn't appear your tubes do anything for that airflow. Not questioning your observation. Just have doubts that the tubes are the reason for the lower trans temp. But, this wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...:)

Yes, i crawled under the truck and saw that . Wondered that myself :h.
When i add another tube, i'll direct it to that trans. area.
Good point . Thank you, Bob

DWeikert
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:

Overall , the tubes seemed to lower the trans. temp more than the water temp. That was important.

Curious since I believe the trans cooler is actually fed by that slot in the bumper and it doesn't appear your tubes do anything for that airflow. Not questioning your observation. Just have doubts that the tubes are the reason for the lower trans temp. But, this wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong...:)
Dan
2008 Chevy D/A 2500HD ECSB
2010 Northstar 8.5 Adventurer

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
bobndot wrote:
I redirected the airflow with pvc . On long hills during the summer, my truck climbed up 15-20 degrees prior to the mod. Ill know better by Thursday how it worked , i'll report back.
You have to keep making mods of some sort and they need to be field tested . My DW is becoming suspicious :h as to why i have to bring fishing equipment to try out and test all these mods. I told her they are sensitivity rods to measure air flow .

Im back . As i said , im reporting back with my pvc tube findings.

On shorter hills it helped (1 mile or so ) the trans. and water temps didn't climb as they prior to installing the tubes. ( thats good)
On longer 5 mile hills, it was a lesser effect and didn't make much of an impact. The water temps went from 190 to 225. The trans. didn't climb as much, from 190 to 200 . Overall , the tubes seemed to lower the trans. temp more than the water temp. That was important.
Therefore they helped most of the time because the mountain grades are not so bad in N.Y. and the runs are of the one mile version. But, in the higher western mountains, i don't think they have much effect on those longer runs.
All flat level driving , the temps were normal as they always were.

I have a 6.0 gasser with 4.10 gears and maintained aprox. 60-62 mph climbing the long 5 mile hills. The tranny held 3 rd gear the whole way up at 3000 rpm . The outside temp was 85 F .

I was happy with the results, but i think i need to redirect more air . Adding more air flow directed at the radiator, seems to help to reduce heat.
More tubes on each side and somekind of angled deflector on the lid.
All in all, i dont think my truck is in any kind of danger running those temps. At this point its just a game and another excuse for a fishing trip with my tc .

BTW, i received a lot of compliments from plumbers . 🙂

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
mooring product wrote:

Heat isn't something to play with, especially in newer diesels with EGR coolers.

I don't have that problem. I woke up one day to find my EGR cooler deleted. :h;)

Regarding cooling issues caused by grill obstacles--whatever that may be, there's a lot of discussion on the diesel forums. Lots of solutions out there.

Thats odd. Mine also went away on my old truck but I still have warranty on my new truck.

Is no one thinking about the hot air the motors is inhaling due to the blockage of the intercooler?

You could always pickup a couple of these kits. One for the intercooler and one for the radiator.

http://www.jegs.com/i/NOS/741/16034-NB/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710631100&catargetid=1784156585&cadevice=c...
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
We took a chance and moved the spare to the front a few weeks ago knowing that it would probably have some effect on the cooling. We headed up to a mountain lake for the weekend. Uphill grades, rough roads and little speed for airflow. I could tell no difference on the highway portion, maybe a little on the rougher slower steep uphill section. Need to get my scan gauge back on to really see. Seems ok though and the coach definetly handles differently moving the tire to the front. We used the tow bracket receivers for the spare tire mount. Looks good with the hub cap.

2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
We drove from Fl to Ak and back with a 3500 gen mounted to the winch mount ( grill guard )and experienced no over heating problems . This was during June through September of 2001.
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )

77charger
Explorer
Explorer
Have a 2004 2500hd 6.0 gasser.I also have a front hitch mount that i use to carry a honda 3000 on it.From what i have noticed is that my trans temp runs about 185-190 with camper towing a boat behind me wheter its 105 degrees or 80 same goes if not towing boat.It aint much of a concern on the temp but did notice it runs 12 -15 degrees warmer with gen up front.

Water temp doesnt change much though.

big_whitey
Explorer
Explorer
i have the same truck as the OP (different grill) with a front hitch.it is used to haul a large cargo box which completely blocks the grill. after five years with this set up i have experienced no overheating issues whatsoever.

Tarkin75
Explorer
Explorer
This combination (adapter and Android application) works great on my F150 for reading all manner of temps, or just basically making up for the lack of all the gauges my STX didn't come with. Transmission fluid temp seems to be really accurate, and the distance to empty numbers, and on and on and on.

I just use my old Android smart phone, but can also use my Tablet.

Later
C

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1EF0FF3686

http://torque-bhp.com/

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Food for thought:

There's a variety of add on gauges (electronic style) that plug in to the OBDII port and will read actual temperature that the PCM is getting from the cooling system temp sensors. With one of these you can see "actual temp".

The stock gauge isn't extremely accurate. I can see variances of up to 20 degrees in actual temp, and the stock gauge barely moves.

Check out the Edge Insight.... that's the one I run.
Bob