Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Front receiver

Manfred
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

I'm looking for ideas on a front receiver that attaches to the tow hooks on my 2016 F250. I want to carry two bicycles on the receiver. I have a bike carrier on the ladder of the camper but it's hard to open the camper door with the bikes installed. There was a company, Bodiak, that made the type of receiver I'm looking for but I believe they are out of business. Anybody know of another manufacturer that makes the tow-hook-attach receiver? Has anybody made their own? Thanks
2005 Northstar 850SC
2016 F250 6.2L
23 REPLIES 23

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Easy peasy I installed mine in halfhour. Curt brand
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

wvabeer
Explorer
Explorer
Kayteg1 wrote:
Without China I would not have lights in my house, I would have no faucet and no bed to sleep on.
I still drive so-called German cars, but for some reason each time I pull a part on them, it is labeled "made in Czech Republic" "Made in Ukraine" or several more.

I try my hardest to purchase made in USA stufF
1999 Dutch Star DP3884
2015 Camplite 6.8C
2012 Cherokee 39L destination
2022 F350 XL 4x4
07 FLHRS

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Without China I would not have lights in my house, I would have no faucet and no bed to sleep on.
I still drive so-called German cars, but for some reason each time I pull a part on them, it is labeled "made in Czech Republic" "Made in Ukraine" or several more.

67avion
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoCalDesertrider wrote:
I don't like china.

X2

Manfred
Explorer
Explorer
mellow wrote:
Our local High School has a welding program, the shop teacher loves to have custom requests to teach the students how to weld things up. It might mean you have to leave your truck there for a week so they can get it measured right but the cost is usually for materials only. Gather as many photos of the Bodiak product as you can and see if you can find someone to replicate it, as they were the only ones I am aware of that makes front hitches that way.

I have a couple of welder buddies so I'm going to try to make my own Bodiak-type receiver. Would one of you with the Bodiak receiver mind sending me a couple of pictures of the receiver, specifically where it attaches to the tow hooks, so I can get an idea of how to fabricate. You can PM me and I will send you my email address. Would very much appreciate it.
2005 Northstar 850SC
2016 F250 6.2L

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
RWDIII wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
I purchased my front mount hitch from Curt. It bolts to the frame under the front and sits just below the air dam. Took about thirty minutes to install and I can still use of hooks. Also I like this because our bikes sit lower on the front of the truck and don't impede our view.

X2 on Curt messed up on the cutout bought on amazon

Mine sits flush with the air dam, didn't have to cut the dam. The only place I've grounded ours is at the local Burger King. I've learned to depart that parking lot at an angle.

I flipped it so I wouldn't lose ground clearance,I still do some lite 4x4

Never thought about that, good idea.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

idaho_camper
Explorer
Explorer
I just installed a front hitch on my 2003 F350 for the very same reason -- to provide easier access to the rear camper door by carrying bicycles up front.

Hitch cost me $136 delivered and installation was easy. Instructions provided with the hitch were very clear.

No cutting was required but I did have to remove my OEM fog lights. This was not a big deal for me as I had planned to re-install some after-market fog lights elsewhere anyway.

Good luck.

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
RWDIII wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
I purchased my front mount hitch from Curt. It bolts to the frame under the front and sits just below the air dam. Took about thirty minutes to install and I can still use of hooks. Also I like this because our bikes sit lower on the front of the truck and don't impede our view.

Mine sits flush with the air dam, didn't have to cut the dam. The only place I've grounded ours is at the local Burger King. I've learned to depart that parking lot at an angle.

I flipped it so I wouldn't lose ground clearance,I still do some lite 4x4
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
The Bodiak was a neat hitch. I heard they went out of business a long time ago. Maybe they started up again.

I like B&W and Curt hitch products. They're both made in America. I like America. ๐Ÿ™‚

I used to buy Reese/DrawTite but they're made in china now, as are Hidden Hitch, Fulton, Tow Power and a few other brands by the same parent company. I don't like china.
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
RWDIII wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:

2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:

OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Manfred
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies and ideas. The air dam on my 2016 F250 appears to hang pretty low (stock truck)so a receiver below would be uncomfortably low. I don't anticipate doing any serious off-roading but it could happen. I'll check out Curt. I like the idea of a High School weld shop or other independent fabricator, could be a good way to go.:)
2005 Northstar 850SC
2016 F250 6.2L

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Manfred wrote:
I like the idea of the receiver on the tow hooks because it gives me the on/off flexibility and the bike rack would ride higher. The pictures off the Bodiak installed look good. Besides, don't like cutting into the lower skirt of the new truck, at least for awhile. ๐Ÿ™‚

I don't know why taking the hitch on/off is important to you? Must have a reason.

In any case, we found having the bikes LOWER (I use a 4" drop adapter) provides better vision.
I did not have to cut any plastic for our Hidden-Hitch.
This is the 3rd truck I have mounted a front Hidden-Hitch on. 1 hr install. No ground clearance issue, no cutting...
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
We have bodiak front hitch and works great. We sometimes put bikes up front or wood depending on the trip. As you said it leaves the back door with easy access. However, the powder coat is chipping. My suggestion to DH was to sand blast it and then put line-x on it. DH thinks I am crazy so haven't done anything about it yet.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.