Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fuel Purchase

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
was in Owensboro, KY this weekend.

Planned to buy fuel at a major trucking depot, but did not find one,

we started looking for fuel and did not find any station that sold diesel.

finally I found a Kroger store with a fueling station that sold diesel, so I filled up.

I had installed a new Baldwin fuel filter a few weeks earlier and had a spare in the toolbox, so I thought I would be good to go, buying from a location that does not turn a lot of diesel fuel.

The old dodge diesel ran fine on the way home, no problems, getting 13.9 mpg, pulled the camper like a champ.

so I guess, I am good to go, maybe the problem is me, just overly concerned about buying fuel at stations I am not sure how they maintain their fuel tank filters or how long the fuel sits in their tanks.

Normally the larger interstate fueling station take good care of their tank filters and turn a lot of fuel so it's fresh.

was only 1/2 empty, but not being able to find a station that sells diesel makes you a little less concerned about station fuel tank maintenance.

is there an alp for finding a station that sell diesel in a location????
23 REPLIES 23

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
I never had bad fuel but did have a bad case of gas last night, not sure what was in that meatloaf.:B. Sorry couldn't resist some levity.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Water-Bug
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
lawnspecialties wrote:
In all sincerity, I think we are getting a little overly-hyped on this forum about getting bad fuel. Do you honestly believe the Kroger diesel had gone bad?

How often do we all really hear about bad fuel?
I have never had a bad tank of fuel, I had bad girl friend once.

Define "bad girl friend". Are you saying that she wasn't a good girl? How about a phone number. ๐Ÿ™‚

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
WeBeFulltimers wrote:
13.9 MPG? Must be a small camper.

camper is a jayco swift 27ft tow behind trailer
not a big heavy camper, but I also do not drive too fast,

drive most time around 62 mph with slow even starts.
am sure that helps with mpg some, bet the guys behind me do not like me so much.

but, my old dodge is an 2005 model with 72K miles, so it was made before they started adding so much epa junk onto the trucks.

I understand that most all the newer truck brands do not get as good mpg as they used too.

WeBeFulltimers
Explorer
Explorer
13.9 MPG? Must be a small camper.
2012 Ford F-350 PSD SRW ** CURT Q24 ** 2018.5 MONTANA 3791RD

Gary_C
Explorer
Explorer
The only tank of bad fuel I've ever gotten came from a Flying J truck stop.

Worrying about bad fuel from a Kroger wouldn't even be on my radar.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Z-Peller wrote:
Might send Ricatic a PM. Bad fuel is indeed rare but a tank full can certainly ruin your day, checking account balance and loyalty.

X2....Never say never....it CAN and does happen!......4 years ago my new Duramax did not at all like the drink of tank wash detergent it got from a well known truck stop in Oregon.....cost $10,000 to make it feel better again....luckily I was not the only one, so fuel company's insurance paid my repair bill ....to say I was very traumatized by the whole ordeal would be an understatement!!!

In all fairness, I believe that Ricatic has always maintained his fuel was fine...............it was the dealer that was bad. :E He said they found no water in the fuel and no contamination was ever found either IIRC. He even stated I believe there was no rust found in the system.

It was the dealer that was bad and FMC backed the first dealer up and that is why it turned into a shameful event for him. ๐Ÿ˜ž
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

RAS43
Explorer III
Explorer III
The one time I got "bad fuel" was from the truck stop near my home. It was winter and they were selling off-speck fuel (summer fuel) purchased out of state. Fuel jelled and truck was down for 3 days 'till weather warmed up. Last time I used a truck stop. I have run diesels for 30 years.

Z-Peller
Explorer
Explorer
Might send Ricatic a PM. Bad fuel is indeed rare but a tank full can certainly ruin your day, checking account balance and loyalty.

X2....Never say never....it CAN and does happen!......4 years ago my new Duramax did not at all like the drink of tank wash detergent it got from a well known truck stop in Oregon.....cost $10,000 to make it feel better again....luckily I was not the only one, so fuel company's insurance paid my repair bill ....to say I was very traumatized by the whole ordeal would be an understatement!!!
Bill..
2017 Bigfoot 10.4 camper...2016 GMC 3500 4x4 Xcab Duramax Dually...

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
Kentucky_Rambler wrote:
I live in Owensboro and have never had a problem with diesel at either Kroger or Wal Mart fuel. I usually fuel up at Wal Mart since they have been giving a 10 cent a gallon discount when you use a Wal Mart gift card to purchase fuel.

Hope you had a fun time in Owensboro.

had a good time in Owensboro, KY,

we stayed at a camp ground a few miles out of town,

your town host the first of the baseball games for the 10 year old group.
my grandson plays on a team from Paducah, KY. so we were there to watch him play.

the campground we stayed at had host championship go cart racing this weekend, so I got to I got to talk with boys, fathers and others that raced the carts.

Nice place: do not remember the name of the campground, but it was nice and had a gun shop located just outside the campground.
was ok with me.

Kentucky_Rambl1
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Owensboro and have never had a problem with diesel at either Kroger or Wal Mart fuel. I usually fuel up at Wal Mart since they have been giving a 10 cent a gallon discount when you use a Wal Mart gift card to purchase fuel.

Hope you had a fun time in Owensboro.

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
We use Murphy USA stations at Walmarts when we can. We find them using the Walmart Rand McNally Atlas. All the Walmarts are listed in the front and back and it shows which locations have Murphy stations and whether they have diesel. Some are easier to get into than others. The prices are usually cheaper or the same as other stations. We use a Walmart Discover card and get 5 cents off. Never had a problem with their fuel. Can't say the same for Flying J.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the inputs:

but as I said, "not being able to find a station that sells diesel makes you a little less concerned about station fuel tank maintenance."

but, I guess I am a bit "fuelish" as last year we were getting low on fuel, so I pulled into a small town station to buy fuel, as I parked at the fuel pump, the fuel light came on and then we determined on a sunday afternoon, that this little out of the way station was not open.

"so the cheese became more binding"

when I fired up the old dodge to travel on and look for another station, the truck started acting funny, (ac would not work, electric windows would not work, etc: but truck ran fine.

we got fuel in a few miles, after fueling up, all systems cleared and no more problems:

so, I am just a little more uptight about letting the fuel level get too low, I also will be carrying a 5 gal container of fuel in a proper yellow colored diesel container in the bed.

again, just me: a bit over the top and up tight over fueling issues.

trucker495
Explorer
Explorer
As a former owner operator of an 18 wheeler I did a little over 900,000 miles in 6 years and never experienced a load of bad fuel. Ditto on the 2 diesel pick up we have owned. Guess I was lucky. Yes there is always a chance of getting bad fuel, I try not to worry about it too much. I do shy away from small out of the way stations. After posting this I will probably get a tank of crappy fuel LOL
Happy trails
Kyle
04 HR ALUMASCAPE 31' TRAVEL TRAILER
05 RAM 3500 4X4 CTD SRW CREW CAB LONGBED

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Might send Ricatic a PM. Bad fuel is indeed rare but a tank full can certainly ruin your day, checking account balance and loyalty. :W

Rick you might want to check the brand of truck and engine the OP has. He doesn't have the "late model, pull the pin and run pump." :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln