Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fully loaded 1/2T Ram?

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Spotted this half ton Ram carrying a sizable truck camper in Zion

Didn't manage to see it without the supports deployed, or meet the occupants. I wanted to ask if any mods were made on the rear end to bolster load support. I know the coil spring suspension on my Ram squats quite a bit with only 500-600 lbs on it.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
46 REPLIES 46

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
On 'springs'...agree the axles won't know the difference from a weight carry point

The difference is how their weight carry (weight vs travel) curve looks like

Coil springs as the longest stroke or travel. Then leaf springs and the torsion
bars on our vehicles the shortest...though a coil spring is a torsion bar spring...

Air bladders normally has the shortest of them all. Some has steel rings to
form an accordion or bellows side to increase their stroke. Some even fold
over on themselves (involuted). There is a lever with folded/involuted air springs
that both helps it lift...but then limits their stroke

In designing...their stroke (travel/etc) vs poundage is the key component
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
On the 4 corner coil suspension technically there is no load bearing axle, just the spring in the coil is the load bearing part, and the frame of the vehicle with the control arms.

So, if you put an airbag to support the coil and the weight, your only limit is the tires and the strength of the suspension arm/bushings.

I'm sure he will have wearing and maintenance problems with that setup at some point. Hopefully no catastrophic failures at speed.

Coils or leafs the axle itself wouldn't be able to tell - as far as it's concerned the same forces are acting on its spring pad. Even bearings aside, the axle tube would feel additional bending moment regardless of spring type.

Think about it this way - semis use air springs not much different than coils. If the coil sprung axles are not load bearing then we should be able to put 1/2 ton axles on a heavy spec Kenworth!

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
Robert,

ALL of the major industrial area's have ways of moving freight at one will call the most efficient means. Oz probably does not have too many track trains. As here in the NA, they criss cross all over and are the choice for moving 100's if not 1000's of tons at a time. In OZ, it seems the best way to cross the continent is by truck train of 3-5 trailers. I doubt you will ever see such a creature here. Nor do I believe you see those types in Europe. Maybe Asia in Russia or China. Not too many other places.

Actually, while typing, A few states around Nevada, Oregon etc, allow triples, IIRC the max length is 120'. So you will not see three typical 60' trailers hooked to the same tractor. But you could see three 30-40' trailers, or 2 60' trailers attached to ea other in those area's. I see two smaller trailers frequently around my area. With the railroads, no need for larger double ro triple trailer setups for the most part.

ALL of these area's have to build roads to meet the lbs per inch width/sq etc put on the roads. I'd have to do some figuring to see if those trucks posted would truly meet our regs. With that in mind, I have seen pics of upwards of 500 ton setups being moved on our roads. Again as I said above, one needs lots of permits etc.

Best to realize, EVERY corner of the world has different specs and needs to traveling etc.

Altho, some of the smaller RV setups in OZ would be nice to see in this part of the world.

marty

Marty, we have Track Trains, that move 1000 of tons of Iron ore. As well as Heavy Moves, that require several Trucks and let us say a power generator weighing several hundred tons.
Where we do differ from the US is having a vast desert, so very heavy trucks can use graded dirt roads, to move very heavy loads, to regional parts of Australia.
Shipping also moves vast amount of freight as well
Many of the unique RV's used in Australia stem from the need to go Off Road. Motorhomes, Caravans, and Camper Trailers have evolved along those lines.
Our RV industry which produces 80% of RV's has influences, from the US, Europe, Asia
and of course Australia.
Europe is heavy " Truck Land" and as result their Truck manufacturers dominate Globally. European Truck makers are in Africa, Middle East, South America,, Russia and Asia. They own Truck manufacturers in Japan.(UD, Mitsubishi ) and in the US, (Freightliner, Western Star, Mack and Volvo)
Agree, every country presents unique challenges, so what works in one, may or may not work in others

blt2ski
Robert,

ALL of the major industrial area's have ways of moving freight at one will call the most efficient means. Oz probably does not have too many track trains. As here in the NA, they criss cross all over and are the choice for moving 100's if not 1000's of tons at a time. In OZ, it seems the best way to cross the continent is by truck train of 3-5 trailers. I doubt you will ever see such a creature here. Nor do I believe you see those types in Europe. Maybe Asia in Russia or China. Not too many other places.

Actually, while typing, A few states around Nevada, Oregon etc, allow triples, IIRC the max length is 120'. So you will not see three typical 60' trailers hooked to the same tractor. But you could see three 30-40' trailers, or 2 60' trailers attached to ea other in those area's. I see two smaller trailers frequently around my area. With the railroads, no need for larger double ro triple trailer setups for the most part.

ALL of these area's have to build roads to meet the lbs per inch width/sq etc put on the roads. I'd have to do some figuring to see if those trucks posted would truly meet our regs. With that in mind, I have seen pics of upwards of 500 ton setups being moved on our roads. Again as I said above, one needs lots of permits etc.

Best to realize, EVERY corner of the world has different specs and needs to traveling etc.

Altho, some of the smaller RV setups in OZ would be nice to see in this part of the world.

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:
The rv.net weight police calculators would display a great big E :h trying to figger some Aussie trucks:

A Roadtrains, comes to roughly 200 Tonnes(440,000lb). Tractor Truck about 650-730hp
A , B Triple can weigh roughly 120 tonnes(260,000lb) and can come to the outskirts of major cities

Many places have heavier Trucks than what you have in the US. To reduce the staggering number of heavy trucks on their roads( Ever wonder why all of the biggest Truck Makers come from Europe? Need to visit) Europeans have introduced HGV's which are general highway trucks of 62tonnes(136,000lb)

blt2ski
06Fargo wrote:
The rv.net weight police calculators would display a great big E :h trying to figger some Aussie trucks:

Seems to me these are around .5 million lbs or there abouts........

Legal here to , with LOTS of permits.....

marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
I did not say all but many and picked your picture of the landcruser as eksample.Very ekspensiv modification, and lazy axle makes 4 wheel drive useless, rather have my F350 with about11500GVM and 3500lb payload.
Frank.

I would suspect that 4x4 on those Landcruisers would be a 2 Tonne payload (4,400lb)and the GVM would be higher than the converted SUV version. Using an IVECO or similar would give you a 4000-5000lb payload and very capable to extremely capable Off Road performance and be cheaper.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:

Not saying it's a wise idea to overload that much, but if one accelerates inspection and maintenance schedules, it could be done.

The problem is doing it and sticking to it. Which of course, we know is unlikely to happen with most people. Kind of like new years resolutions about losing weight. It can happen, it likely won't.

Another problem is just ignorance. And perhaps salesmen taking advantage of that. As in my case when much younger ...

Still can't believe how lucky I was that the axle with the busted bearing didn't pull out at highway speeds.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer
Heh. Forgot about the bearings. Yes, everything in there will be subject to additional stresses.

Not saying it's a wise idea to overload that much, but if one accelerates inspection and maintenance schedules, it could be done.

The problem is doing it and sticking to it. Which of course, we know is unlikely to happen with most people. Kind of like new years resolutions about losing weight. It can happen, it likely won't.
2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Powerdude wrote:
On the 4 corner coil suspension technically there is no load bearing axle, just the spring in the coil is the load bearing part, and the frame of the vehicle with the control arms.

So, if you put an airbag to support the coil and the weight, your only limit is the tires and the strength of the suspension arm/bushings.

I'm sure he will have wearing and maintenance problems with that setup at some point. Hopefully no catastrophic failures at speed.

You are saying the axle bearings do not bear the weight when using coil springs? And so are not a limiting factor?

I'm no Mech. Engineer but that just doesn't make sense.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
I did not say all but many and picked your picture of the landcruser as eksample.Very ekspensiv modification, and lazy axle makes 4 wheel drive useless, rather have my F350 with about11500GVM and 3500lb payload.
Frank.
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Slownsy wrote:
Landcruser GVW 3300kg less Kerbe veight 2065kg= max payload 1235kg or2723lb
Camper wet 2155lb stelltray 500lb tool boxes 100lb tools 100lb bulbar 100lb tow hitch 50lbs ball load 200lb 2 peaple 300lb food clothes 100lb. Total = 3650lb. I think I have bean conservative butt about 1000lb overloaded as is most 4WDS in Australia.
Frank.

No, not all are. For a heavy TC, you need a Cab Chassis Euro Van, like the IVECO, or add a lazy axle and have an engineer certified increase in GVM. Easier to get a Euro Cab Chassis For an Asian sourced Ute, payload increased to 1.5 tonnes, 3,300lb as in the Lance DualCab example below. 6x6 conversion popular with Utlity vehicles, GVM goes to 9,000lb for the Landcruiser

Powerdude
Explorer
Explorer

2016 F250 CCSB 4x4 6.2L
2001 Lance 820