cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GM 6.2L Gas Engine for pulling?

Bowti
Explorer
Explorer
Starting to look at a new truck for 2019. I have been pulling with a Duramax, but now looking to maybe go with a gas engine next time around. The reason is based low pulling mileage and trailer weight.

It looks like the 6.2 is going to be GM's only gas offering, so I am wondering who has pulled with this engine and what is your opinions of it.
2013 Keystone Cougar 28SGS Xlite
Shipping weight 7561 lbs
Carrying capacity 2439 lbs
Hitch Pin 1410 lbs
2008 Silverado 2500 Duramax 4X4 Crew Cab
Reese 16K Round Tube Slider
Custom 3 Receiver Hitch Scooter Carrier
2013 Honda PCX Scooter on the Carrier
55 REPLIES 55

jrhanbar98
Explorer
Explorer
I have a ‘17 LTZ w/ a 6.2l 8 speed. I specifically sought this combo pull our 7200lbs 25ft TT, and also 6000lb 10x12 enclosed Scout trailer. Very happy with the setup. Plenty of power at all speeds but especially off the line at the hard stop. The only time you feel the 8 speed is in the first 3 gears. 1&2 are low, especially 1st and if you are not pulling it shifts to #2 pretty quick. After 3rd I never know what gear I’m in as the shifting is smooth and no hunting. When towing I turn on tow haul set it to M6 to lock out the 2 overdrives and it does great.

Best part is non-towing highway gas is 22 city around 13 even in the dead of MN winter with occasional Auto 4wd. Worst part is we so much power it’s literally worthless in RWD with even the tiniest amount of snow or moisture. Traction control kick and the fun ends ??

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,
Yes sure, I have an 09 with the 6.0 in a 3/4 ton. If u would purchase a 1 ton dually with the same engine but using NG you get 301HP instead of 360HP in the 3/4 ton truck. Manufacturers can change an engines output ratings simply with computer tuning. There is a few companies out there that change the parameters of the engine and reducing TQ management. I use Blackbear EFI live tune and with that I bump both HP and TQ numbers up. Granted I don't run the truck hard, it gets babied more then anything. But there is a difference in towing especially when I run the full 91 tune. You can also use them for the 2015 truck that you have. Look up Blackbear performance, they specialize in GM trucks. Worth the money to me, and I can tell u that there is a difference when you run the tune. Hope this helps.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II
kw/00 wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
Even though some want the 6.0 dumped, it's a great engine. Just got off the phone with my friend who hauls trailers and sheds all over Florida. He's got the first gen 6.0 with 300 hp... he now has 360k on it. That's 360k hard pulling miles, not a grocery getting by any means, he really works trucks. He likes it so much he's looking at another 6.0 truck to replace it with. Not because of any engine issues mind you... just needs a transmission cause he's got no reverse now. I'm sure he will keep the old one around for a secondary truck... So if GM does replace that engine, it has to live up to the 6.0... my thought only but they will probably keep the 6.0 and add direct injection and other mods to bump the power around 400 horse. It's actually pretty easy with this engine...

But would it be as reliable with gdi?

Good question, I've have read some vehicles have excess carbon buildup due to GDI, so I watched a few videos on YouTube explaining the mechanics behind it. It's hard to say what GM will do, given there history in keeping the tried and true 350 around with occasional changes makes me think the 6.0 will stay longer. It's been a solid engine, power on paper is not as high as the others, but with a tune it really changes. I have always said that these engines are detuned from the factory. I'm sure it's keeping the engine to meet the long duty cycles that it will endure. Time will tell I guess, I'm happy with mine.

Can you explain what you mean when you say "Detuned" from the factory, and "Tuned" ... and does this relate to a 2015 GM 6.0L HD...
Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Samsonsworld wrote:
kw/00 wrote:
Even though some want the 6.0 dumped, it's a great engine. Just got off the phone with my friend who hauls trailers and sheds all over Florida. He's got the first gen 6.0 with 300 hp... he now has 360k on it. That's 360k hard pulling miles, not a grocery getting by any means, he really works trucks. He likes it so much he's looking at another 6.0 truck to replace it with. Not because of any engine issues mind you... just needs a transmission cause he's got no reverse now. I'm sure he will keep the old one around for a secondary truck... So if GM does replace that engine, it has to live up to the 6.0... my thought only but they will probably keep the 6.0 and add direct injection and other mods to bump the power around 400 horse. It's actually pretty easy with this engine...

Good question, I've have read some vehicles have excess carbon buildup due to GDI, so I watched a few videos on YouTube explaining the mechanics behind it. It's hard to say what GM will do, given there history in keeping the tried and true 350 around with occasional changes makes me think the 6.0 will stay longer. It's been a solid engine, power on paper is not as high as the others, but with a tune it really changes. I have always said that these engines are detuned from the factory. I'm sure it's keeping the engine to meet the long duty cycles that it will endure. Time will tell I guess, I'm happy with mine.

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
kw/00 wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
All the 1/2 ton mfg’ers have stepped up their game to provide suitable towing rigs for those that don’t want to deal with 3/4 ton or diesel. They are hitting the sweet spot for the growing number of TT customers that want the capabilities And the creature comforts without the big size that comes with 3/4 and 1 ton.

Good point and one that 1/2 ton truck makers know and most folks understand.
My wifes 2016 1500 chevy 4wd crew cab sits much lower/easier ride than my sons 2015 2500 chevy 4wd crew cab. To some folks (like my wife) sitting up high is intimidating. She won't drive my 2500 Dodge Cummins because it sits so high and have too climb up into it.
Before she bought the 2016 she was looking at the new 2500 Ram 4wd crew cab 6.4 hemi. After driving a couple at the dealer she back out. Rough ride and a much taller bigger truck feeling wasn't for her. In fact one color Ram she liked so well had no tube steps and at 75 year old and 5'2" tall she couldn't get in the damezd thing. So yeah.... "too" big is important to some folks.

JMO but the 6.0 gm engine is like other good GM LDT engines in the past (5.7/7.4/8.1). Its reached a point where more hp/torque could be had but not as efficent as a new gen engine. Plus there is the marketing thing about the age of the engine and it not up to specs with the other brands.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
IdaD wrote:
... Taller is the only dimension that could come into play in a low parking garage situation...
Bingo, when used as a daily driver, parking garages and my garage at home are a big issue for me. And besides that, you can't get the 3.5 ecoboost w/10 speed transmission in a F250.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Toni...have you measured a Sub vs your Sierra's length? Looks like you have the short bed and that is about the same as a Sub of that year. Look at where the rear passenger door edge is to the bumper vs my Sub pictured below...about the same

Remember, a half ton and 3/4 ton Sub are the exact same length. Just taller for the 3/4 ton because of the higher rated stuff below the body sheetmetal...

Fleet service has a 3500 Suburban and they are hitting the used market now

My K3500 Suburban (tongue n cheek...cuz the 6K RGAWR is the exact same axle as the dually of that year {upgraded the MC & cylinders to the 1 ton dually}...and AAM rates it at 10,000 GAWR...ordered the F60 option, which begets the snow plow prep and 1 ton front springs)

Click For Full-Size Image
mysub mysuburban

BenK, thanks for the info. Not sure what the new Burbs will be if they go 3/4 or 1 ton. While I like the aspect of a SUV, especially my experience with my Yukon Denali, I now find myself hooked on the utility of a pick-up. Don’t need the 3rd seat as I usually had them removed on my Denali. The 6.2 is a real beast. Wondering what GM might offer as a gasser option in a new 3/4 ton? The 6.0 has a good rep, but they probably have another option developing. BTW, nice ride you have there.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Toni...have you measured a Sub vs your Sierra's length? Looks like you have the short bed and that is about the same as a Sub of that year. Look at where the rear passenger door edge is to the bumper vs my Sub pictured below...about the same

Remember, a half ton and 3/4 ton Sub are the exact same length. Just taller for the 3/4 ton because of the higher rated stuff below the body sheetmetal...

Fleet service has a 3500 Suburban and they are hitting the used market now

My K3500 Suburban (tongue n cheek...cuz the 6K RGAWR is the exact same axle as the dually of that year {upgraded the MC & cylinders to the 1 ton dually}...and AAM rates it at 10,000 GAWR...ordered the F60 option, which begets the snow plow prep and 1 ton front springs)

Click For Full-Size Image
mysub mysuburban
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

martinto
Explorer
Explorer
Good valid counter points on the "big size" ref I made. I agree, dimensions are about the same between 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton except for overall height. You have to agree that there is a heavy duty element that affects ride and overall general gas economy, except for towing in most cases. However, there is a market for those that don't require that level of enhanced structure for what they also want their truck to provide.

I tow my TT from time to time, but for the most part, its for casual hauling such as mulch, and small loads. I had a Yukon Denali which was a great vehicle but pushed the limits of my towing needs. I found my Sierra Texas Edition configured with MAX tow pkg, which includes a beefier rear end, heavy duty springs and engine management upgrades. My ride comfort is not unlike my Yukon. Even when not towing and are taking a longer road trip, we take the truck vs. the car.

The GM marketing folks saw a demand for a segment that the 1/2 ton can fill. I would love a 3/4 ton Burb, but alas, they don't make them. I've heard it may come back. Unfortunately, it may not fit in my garage which is my need. I looked for a year across the US to find my truck with my required configuration...and found it 90 miles away at a dealer. Yes, expensive but I got a good deal given the premium the Yukon Denali brought and the incentives by GM.

Not to diminish 3/4 or 1 ton trucks at all...its just a market segment that GM, Ford, and Toyota is now targeting with some very capable products.

sgfrye
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
Samsonsworld wrote:
Power Torque
Ford 6.2L V8 385 hp @ 5,750 rpm 430 lb-ft @ 3,800 rpm
GM 6.0L V8 360 hp @ 5,400 rpm 380 lb-ft @ 4,200 rpm
Ram 6.4L V8 410 hp @ 5,600 rpm 429 lb-ft @ 4,000 rpm

Maybe Bowti should take a newly designed SuperDuty 6.2 for a test drive. The numbers... 385 hp/430 lb-ft @ 3,800 look good, and the engine/transmission a proven winner.

Jerry

x2
for what its worth this past september i bought a new 2017 f250 6.2 gasser.. upgrade from my 2000 f150 5.4 that i kept for my daily driver. its just now broken in with 115k miles.

our 33 ft tt is approx 7500lbs loaded to camp on cat scales. the f250 pulls it great. comfortable towing experience. on longer trips my wife doesn't mind taking a turn driving. almost like there is only a utility trailer behind me. just clicked 5k miles and am very happy.

gm makes a great product too. hard to go wrong with either.

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
X3...

Most all full sized pickups and SUV's ranging from half ton to higher class most all use the exact same body basis with a few add on accent stuff to make it look bigger

Therefore the general confusion on that. Plus half ton's these days are more fake 3/4 ton than the older 6K GVWR half tons

Taller, yes and a few local kids & one guy that must be in his 50's (still 20 years younger...as am going to be 70 this year) think and always tell me that their 'half ton' cars (not trucks...as they really are) are more capable than my lower 8.6K GVWR & 6K RGAWR Suburban...

They can't go into the local parking structures, where as I can...they can't keep up on long, sweeping highway overhead curves either. Because their CG is way higher & my track is +10.5 inches wider than stock.

But...this is the fat part of the bell curve that OEMs base their sales on...the fashion statement crowd...and rightly so, as it is a business to make money

IdaD wrote:
Ralph Cramden wrote:
martinto wrote:
And the creature comforts without the big size that comes with 3/4 and 1 ton.

I always scratch my head at the above? Big size where. 1500 or 2500 or 3500 in the same cab/bed, is the exact same wheelbase, width, and overall length. The 2500/3500 usually has a slightly larger turning radius due to the suspension. Overall height is a few inches higher as is ground clearance, but it's basically the same size as the body panels are exactly the same....at least with GM.

Bigger springs, brakes, axles, driveshafts, u joints, and a whole host of other things too, but thats not exactly a bad thing?

I have never been able to grasp the bigger thing on boards. Hell I've seldom been able to digest a truck thread lol.

Ditto. My Ram actually turns quite a bit tighter than a same year/configuration F150. Taller is the only dimension that could come into play in a low parking garage situation. Beyond that HD trucks are heavier but they aren't any "bigger" in dimensions. I personally think HD trucks are a better value proposition than half tons because they don't cost materially more so the additional capability is basically free. But they also don't incur the downsides of living with a dually, so to me they're the sweet spot. YMMV.
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Ralph Cramden wrote:
martinto wrote:
And the creature comforts without the big size that comes with 3/4 and 1 ton.

I always scratch my head at the above? Big size where. 1500 or 2500 or 3500 in the same cab/bed, is the exact same wheelbase, width, and overall length. The 2500/3500 usually has a slightly larger turning radius due to the suspension. Overall height is a few inches higher as is ground clearance, but it's basically the same size as the body panels are exactly the same....at least with GM.

Bigger springs, brakes, axles, driveshafts, u joints, and a whole host of other things too, but thats not exactly a bad thing?

I have never been able to grasp the bigger thing on boards. Hell I've seldom been able to digest a truck thread lol.

Ditto. My Ram actually turns quite a bit tighter than a same year/configuration F150. Taller is the only dimension that could come into play in a low parking garage situation. Beyond that HD trucks are heavier but they aren't any "bigger" in dimensions. I personally think HD trucks are a better value proposition than half tons because they don't cost materially more so the additional capability is basically free. But they also don't incur the downsides of living with a dually, so to me they're the sweet spot. YMMV.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB