Explorer II
Explorer II
115 REPLIES 115

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
mich800 wrote:
They go by GVWR. So yes your analogy works providing the 1500 is a comparable GVWR as the 3500 dually.

To me, components like 12.25" Dana 110, 10 lug Alcoa 19.5s, 15"+ brake rotors, and 87 mph commercial tires, all scream Class 4 truck.

If Ford sand bags the GVW just to squeeze into the Class 3, well that's like athletes dehydrating just to squeeze into a weight class - it works, but you'll lose some people's respect.

I guess if that makes you feel better. So the Ram with an advertised 30k tow rating that is higher than Rams 5500 is not?

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
mich800 wrote:
They go by GVWR. So yes your analogy works providing the 1500 is a comparable GVWR as the 3500 dually.

To me, components like 12.25" Dana 110, 10 lug Alcoa 19.5s, 15"+ brake rotors, and 87 mph commercial tires, all scream Class 4 truck.

If Ford sand bags the GVW just to squeeze into the Class 3, well that's like athletes dehydrating just to squeeze into a weight class - it works, but you'll lose some people's respect.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Fast Mopar wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Hate to bust your chops but Ford trucks is the most American truck.

Ford Most American Truck

In addition both Toyota and RAM are not an American Company. :R

Not the time nor the place to have this argument. If you would like to debate it, start a new thread.

Well, Fish is correct (did I just say that???).

I am a redneck, and buying American is very important to me. When Chrysler was bought by Daimler in 1997, I stop buying Chrysler products. I went to GM and Ford instead. Then, the bailouts soured me on Chrysler and GM. Then, I decided to get over it. GM, Ford, and Chrysler all have a lot of American operations, and I try to support them all.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack.

Great answer Fast Mopar... :C

My story is very similar. I was about to pull the trigger on a '98 Dodge RAM Green 360ci 4x4. The Daimler take over meant that Chrysler was no longer an American company so I backed away. I didn't want another Chevy truck like I currently had so I gave Ford a try.

I'm proud to say buying a truck or car from an American company is my top priority. :B

Nice "story"

What are you smoking?????????

1998 Chrysler owned Chrysler.

Both of my 98 RAM's are made in USA.

In '98 Chrysler was taken over by Daimler after Chrysler's strong rebound hit the radar with the help of Lutz.

Never said anything about your trucks being made in the USA. It's the fact that Chrysler was and is now again not a US owned company.

That's a big problem....

But perhaps your smoking the white owl supports your dignity to purchase a truck from a foreign company. Nice job... :M
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
1wayhighway wrote:
I purchased a TT this year and the catalog had a TT dry weight of 5400 lbs the actual dry weight on the yellow sticker was 6000 lbs. . I guess the tactic is everywhere.

On top of that in our competitive culture bragging rights are everything.

Anyone out there like sports.

#1 reason to not use DRY weight when deciding what you can tow/carry.

The catalog dry weight is for the base unit, so options add to it, and also reduce the TT Carrying capacity.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

1wayhighway
Explorer
Explorer
I purchased a TT this year and the catalog had a TT dry weight of 5400 lbs the actual dry weight on the yellow sticker was 6000 lbs. . I guess the tactic is everywhere.

On top of that in our competitive culture bragging rights are everything.

Anyone out there like sports.
Ford F150, 5.0, Screw, 3.55
White Hawk 28DSBH

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
RoyJ wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Perhaps Ford should have stuck a F350 badge on the F450 truck and dissolve all the dodge boys excuses. :W

By that line of reasoning, Ram can stick a "1500" on a 3500 Ram dually and claim the undisputed leader in payload & towing.

Poor arguments can be applied both ways.

Are you sure you got your logic correct? :S

Well, care to correct it?

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
RoyJ wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
Perhaps Ford should have stuck a F350 badge on the F450 truck and dissolve all the dodge boys excuses. :W

By that line of reasoning, Ram can stick a "1500" on a 3500 Ram dually and claim the undisputed leader in payload & towing.

Poor arguments can be applied both ways.

Are you sure you got your logic correct? :S

Well, care to correct it?

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah Ben, you pretty much nailed it...Book of Proverbs written by a very wise man.....:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
NC...I just quote Proverbs26:4...the shoe usually fits, but most don't get it... :B

Back on topic...agree...the "Mine's bigger, better than yours" always
creeps into the discussion...AKA...blind loyalty...

Even Ram says they use the 'curb' and that is the crux of the whole
topic...what is 'curb'...IMHO...that can mean pretty much whatever
each OEM says it is via specification...which means is it a 'defined
term', which is a legal term (defined term). :B

Not lying, just using the available, legal ways to verbalize it in print
Lawyers are masters in the written language (grammar, punctuation and
even bold/capitalization/etc) that is employed, that have been approved over
time in the courts....this is the ONLY GAME...until we legislate
this out...but our legislators are mostly all lawyers... :S

Even have had one Proverbs26:4 member say: "don't confuse this with
technical gobbledygook"... :R :S

Oh well...off to tune some kids bicycles for the bicycle event am
sponsoring (SMUHA) for the city: Labor Day Family Fun Ride and Bicycle Rodeo

Everyone enjoy the rest of the weekend !!!
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
larry barnhart wrote:
No I would not do that for any reason and to me the customers won that battle because the trucks are very good. Almost as good as our 05. I really think the only place that even cares who wins the test are on this forum. It is just mentioned most places I read.

chevman

Actually, not just this forum...also the cummins forum, thedieselplace forum and I would "assume" the Ford forums, (don't know about them, I don't frequent the Ford forums), oh, also TDR forum, AND almost every place I've seen the write up's where you can leave a comment, you have the same bantering with the Ford, GM and Ram crowd....so, just saying, Yeah, it must mean something because I've seen quite a bit going back and forth among Ford, GM and Ram owners about these and other test...Reminds me of being a kid on a playground and someone arguing over who was going to get to swing next, or whose toy belonged to whom or who had the nicest bicycle....nothing ever changes, whether we like it or not....it's human nature,..I belonged to the "winning crowd", owning a Chevy until 2010...if it would have made that much difference to me, I'd never purchased another brand truck and would have stuck with Chevy, so to some, it's more important than to others...Something we may as well get use to...Some will attack a brand no matter what as we've seen in here, some will go out of their way to make ugly comments on such a silly topic and get into name calling, going as far as calling others "stupid" and "idiot"...sad, truly sad...would be nice if we saw this much dedication for an inanimate object be shown toward our country in patriotism and caring about others...but again, common sense isn't so common now a day's....
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
FishOnOne wrote:
Fast Mopar wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford Most American Truck

Not the time nor the place to have this argument. If you would like to debate it, start a new thread.

I am a redneck, and buying American is very important to me. When Chrysler was bought by Daimler in 1997, I stop buying Chrysler products. I went to GM and Ford instead. Then, the bailouts soured me on Chrysler and GM. Then, I decided to get over it. GM, Ford, and Chrysler all have a lot of American operations, and I try to support them all.

My story is very similar. I was about to pull the trigger on a '98 Dodge RAM Green 360ci 4x4. The Daimler take over meant that Chrysler was no longer an American company so I backed away. I didn't want another Chevy truck like I currently had so I gave Ford a try.

I'm proud to say buying a truck or car from an American company is my top priority. :B

Nice "story"

What are you smoking?????????

1998 Chrysler owned Chrysler.

Both of my 98 RAM's are made in USA.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Back away from the Goat Kool Aid....It's effect is showing! "

But it tastes go good Daddy.

Sounds like a personal problem... :R

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fast Mopar wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

Ford Most American Truck

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
No I would not do that for any reason and to me the customers won that battle because the trucks are very good. Almost as good as our 05. I really think the only place that even cares who wins the test are on this forum. It is just mentioned most places I read.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
larry barnhart wrote:
I am beginning to wish GM had not won the contest. It would be a lot less whining from the kids on this forum.
chevman

Was that you on the street corner in Wenatchee jumping up and down with a sign saying

"GM WON" ?????
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD