Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM sale numbers falling even with new pickup line

CREATO
Explorer
Explorer
GM Dealers Say Low Demand, Not Lack of Supply Explain Poor Truck Sales

Submitted by Mark Modica on Mon, 10/28/2013 - 10:41

The past month has brought much confusion and concern for General Motors' shareholders regarding the most important and profitable segment of sales for the company. As the company prepares to report earnings for the third quarter this week, media reports are still unclear on just what is going on with GM's new truck lineup; specifically pertaining to the reasons behind the disappointing sales figures that were reported for the month of September when Ford's truck offerings left them in the dust.

While GM's Obama-appointed management spun the story (claiming supply could not keep up with demand) to some in the media who are gullible enough to print the misinformation without question, some GM dealers were more honest with their assessment.

GM's management has lots of experience when it comes to trying to deceptively explain away poor sales of much-hyped vehicles. The Chevy Volt has never lived up to expectations and the same "supply can't keep up with demand" excuse was used, even as GM temporarily halted production at plants making the vehicle due to the embarrassing sales. As those in GM management present their case as virtuously as politicians seeking reelection, some at GM's dealerships (who have a bit more credibility) give a clearer picture as reported by Automotive News.

The article quotes one Florida Chevy dealership general manager as saying that the 2014 Chevy Silverado (GM's bread and butter pickup) is selling "very poorly." The president of another dealership in Texas says his supply of Silverados was up to 170 days compared to his previous average of 110 days. Yet another principal of four Texas dealerships said his truck supply was up to 120 days compared to the typical 90 day supply. Assuming that the management and owners of Chevy dealerships are not part of a right-wing conspiracy to hurt GM because of its ties to President Obama, it would appear that we can put to rest the notion that the lackluster sales for GM's new truck lineup is a result of supply not being able to keep up with demand.

GM dealers are pointing to the simple fact that competitors have better deals on their truck offerings and consumers can get better bang for their buck elsewhere. Of course, the dealers would like to see increased incentives on the vehicles to spur sales; a remedy that hurts profits and shareholders at GM. The ingenious response from GM? Trick consumers by raising prices of the trucks and then increasing incentives! As PT Barnum (or perhaps a White House spokesman) might say, "There's a sucker born every minute!"

Another Automotive News report blows holes in the "supply can't keep up with demand" excuse. The piece states, "GM started October with an 82-day supply based on September's sales pace, up 18 from Sept. 1. Stocks of the Chevrolet Silverado pickup rose to a 115-day supply from 98, and the GMC Sierra pickup rose to 98 days from 87." GM no longer likes to discuss truck inventory, which it has had a past history of stuffing to manipulate earnings, but analysts should ask some tough questions during GM's earnings' conference call about where truck inventory levels are. The tricky strategy of raising truck prices at the same time that incentives are raised should also be questioned. Judging from GM's past explanations, even if such questions are allowed to be asked, I doubt that the answers will be credible.

I just don't get why GM has to continue to play its politically dishonest approach to all challenges it faces. It seems that the governmental intrusion into the company has left an indelible template that sets forth a strategy by GM of smoke and mirrors along with media manipulation to portray an image of an efficiently managed entity operating with an eye on the bottom line when in reality it is most concerned with public perception. The true bottom line is, if GM does not focus on building high quality vehicles at the best value in a very competitive market instead of being concerned with perception, all of the excuses in the world will not prevent a second trip for the company through bankruptcy court.
I dont rent out space in my brain
210 REPLIES 210

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Why can't more people learn to put left square bracket url right square bracket at the beginning of a link and left square bracket /url right square bracket at the end, to make links active.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-8-most-american-trucks-for-2013.html

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/06/detroits-pickups-flunk-toyota-soars-on-...

Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
06Fargo wrote:
What is a "domestic" pickup truck?

Either the F-150 or the Tundra... if you mean actually MADE in the USA...

http://www.edmunds.com/car-reviews/top-10/top-8-most-american-trucks-for-2013.html

Of course, in 2010 when I bought MY Tundra, it was the most American (USA, not including Canada) truck line. Ram made a specific model in the USA that had roughly the same American content, but the other 2 Ram 1500 models were made in Mexico.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/06/detroits-pickups-flunk-toyota-soars-on-...

Also, when you consider the amount of taxes paid per vehicle sold here (therefore money to the US Government) Toyota is pretty high up there too. When you consider payroll taxes on American employee's, Toyota is up there too. When you consider profits back to the manufacturer, Toyota sends a lot of that money back to Japan, but that isn't money that you or I would ever benefit from anyways... unless you owned stock in the company. Oh yea... when you consider stock, we can buy those in America too.

Sorry, not a tech guy... never knew how to do this url thing.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged wrote:
CREATO wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
Yet GM vehicles score high on quality. Another thread indicates they are the top domestic...quality wise.

I'd actually like to see current sales numbers .

Here they are up to Sept 2013 http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/10/best-selling-pickup-trucks-september-2013.html

Not top domestic by a long shot. Talked to a Chevy Dealer Friend tells me having a hard time selling the new 2014. He is seeing more and more of his customers driving Fords and Rams while his pickup inventory is growing he is a bit worried.

Sorry GM. 50 years of you and now I leave., I got the wife a new Nissan, I will not buy anything run by Washington if possible.

A 2014-half ton Silverado decently equipped is now $43,000.00 w/little rebates. That's why they are sitting there.

Supercharged
Explorer
Explorer
CREATO wrote:
Lessmore wrote:
Yet GM vehicles score high on quality. Another thread indicates they are the top domestic...quality wise.

I'd actually like to see current sales numbers .

Here they are up to Sept 2013 http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/10/best-selling-pickup-trucks-september-2013.html

Not top domestic by a long shot. Talked to a Chevy Dealer Friend tells me having a hard time selling the new 2014. He is seeing more and more of his customers driving Fords and Rams while his pickup inventory is growing he is a bit worried.

Sorry GM. 50 years of you and now I leave., I got the wife a new Nissan, I will not buy anything run by Washington if possible.
So big a world, so little time to see.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
720Deere wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

One that is put together in Mexico! ๐Ÿ™‚

Where is Ross Perot when you need him? LOL Am I wrong or is there only one of the big 3 pickups that is fully assembled in Mexico?

There may be only one pickup but the other company has many, many cars assembled in Mexico!

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
06Fargo wrote:

Where is Ross Perot when you need him? LOL Am I wrong or is there only one of the big 3 pickups that is fully assembled in Mexico?
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
06Fargo wrote:

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
06Fargo wrote:

Traditionally...a Ford, Chevy/GMC or Dodge. If you go back far enough the list also....in Canada anyway... included Mercury and your 'handle'...Fargo.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III

bmanning
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
QUOTE : simple. Legacy of Chevy V8. Reliability and consistency and owners have a comfort zone seeing the same engine year after year.

also, Ford used to have a reputation of fighting warranty claims and hiding defects (deserved or not).

True or not, doesn't explain the 'east coast' vs 'west coast' thing

Guys I live in Phoenix, which is pretty far west, and trust me, there's no shortage of Rams and Fords here, nor is there a saturation of GMs.

I'm not sure there is a east vs west thing to discuss in actuality. I grew up in Ohio (midwest), lived in Jersey/worked in NYC (east coast) and have lived in Scottsdale/Phoenix for 7 years now and if there's a regional thing going on I haven't noticed it.

What I have noticed is a MUCH higher percentage of black vehicles in the midwest and east versus out here.
BManning
baking in Phoenix :C
-2007 Volvo XC90 AWD V8
4.4L 311/325 V8 6sp Aisin loaded
6100lb GVW 5000lb tow
-1999 Land Cruiser
4.7L 230/320 V8 4sp A343 loaded
6860 GVW 6500lb tow
RV'less at the moment

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
QUOTE : simple. Legacy of Chevy V8. Reliability and consistency and owners have a comfort zone seeing the same engine year after year.

also, Ford used to have a reputation of fighting warranty claims and hiding defects (deserved or not).

yes it does. However it's west vs east (no coasts). The dividing line is the Mississippi river.

My post represents western values: More farms, more DIY mechanics.
John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Fordlover wrote:
...It's a shame Ford and Dodge decided to kill them rather than invest money, but obviously they decided to give the market to Toyota, Nissan and GM when they jump back in.

GM will unveil the new Colorado at the LA Auto Show next week on 11/20.

Youtube link for Live unveiling
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

monkey44
Nomad II
Nomad II

Monkey44
Cape Cod Ma & Central Fla
Chevy 2500HD 4x4 DC-SB
2008 Lance 845
Back-country camping fanatic

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
LowRyter wrote:

Used too? Still Do!
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

LowRyter
Explorer
Explorer
monkey44 wrote:
Quote: "that still doesn't answer the question whether GM or Ford sell the most pickups. Traditionally, Ford F series was the top selling brand while GM/Chevy together outsold Ford. I also noticed that geography has a lot to do with popularity. Here in the west it appears Chevy is the popular brand and in the East it's Ford."

I've lived for extended periods in the west and the east, and I agree with you - lot more Fords in the east ... we just returned from a west coast trip too, and it seems it hasn't changed since we left the west.

Wonder why that is? When we lived in the west coast, three GM dealers in our rural county, ONE Ford dealer, and the Ford dealer eventually went belly-up while all three GM dealers stayed open year after year after year.

simple. Legacy of Chevy V8. Reliability and consistency and owners have a comfort zone seeing the same engine year after year.

John L
WW SL 2805 5th Wheel
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Allison Duramax X Cab
Ducati 939 SS, Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, Moto Guzzi EV California and Suzuki 1200 Bandit