cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Handling comparison: SRW vs DRW at GVW

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don’t think anyone would argue that a DRW is more stable at carrying a TC but let’s hear some thoughts when comparing “apples to apples”
For example let’s assume trucks are both new Ram 3500 4x4 diesels.
1) Ram SRW SB with a payload off approx 3800 lbs carrying a Lance 855 S which is 8’11” with a slide and a wet weight of 3800-4000 lbs. and approx 2’ of overhang.

2) Ram LB DRW with a payload of approx 5000 lbs carrying a Lance 1172. 11’11” and wet weight of at least 5000-5500 lbs. and almost 4’ of overhang.
Both trucks will be at or slightly over GVW rating but assume within axle and tire limits.

I’m sure if you wanted to get scientific and calculate wheeelbase, cog, weight, overhang, roll moments etc you would get a scientific answer, but what do you think seat of the pants feel would be?
Would a SB truck at its GVW be as stable as a DRW at its GVW?

To add more thought, add a few hundred lbs of hitch weight for towing.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650
35 REPLIES 35

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
Mkrish, how about of you put those bags of sakrete on top of a 4' high platform in the bed so the weight is carried higher? would that be more representative of a camper load?
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
If you want apples to apples, use bagged concrete for the weight instead of campers.

43 90lb bags of Sakrete in the SRW
62 90lb bags of Sakrete in the DRW

Then take them both on the Nurburgring.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

HarmsWay
Explorer
Explorer
Everything is better with bacon.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Never would have guessed that this tread would have gotten off topic.
The OP didn’t even ask a well thought out question. “How does the handling of a little truck with a little camper compare to the handling of a big truck with a big camper?”
That’s like asking which is better, bacon or sausage with pancakes.....sort of relavent because they’re both breakfast meats that come from a pig, but not directly comparable.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
For carrying our Citation 9-6, in 2007 I switched from a SRW LB to a DRW LB and the difference in handling was like night and day - while a SRW will work, the dually is the right tool for the job.

Bedlam
I started with a Arctic Fox 811 on a Ford F250. With the just the camper package and 18" wheel option, it safely hauled the camper with wheel capacity even though it was over stickered RAWR and GVWR. I also towed an 8000 lb 20' enclosed trailer behind this truck camper. Although I was able add Torklift upper StableLoads and Firestone airbags to keep the load level, I had to be extremely diligent on how I loaded the camper and trailer so I would not exceed rear wheel capacity even though handling was just fine. After upgrading to 19.5" wheels, I no longer had wheels holding back my rear axle loading, so I added the Torklift lower StableLoads and Rancho RS9000XL adjustable shocks. This allowed me carry 8000 lbs on the rear with 4500 lbs on the front when I had my trailer in tow for a total of 12,500 lbs GVW and 19,500 lbs GCW. This combination did well all over the western half of the US until we decided a bigger camper was in our future.

I upgraded the truck to a Ram 5500 for the future use camper upgrade. This truck did not need any wheel or suspension upgrades and the camper would not even compress the spring pack enough to touch the overloads until I hitched up the trailer too. The stability was about the same as the upgraded F250, but ride quality was actually harsher - This was a case where I had too much truck for my load.

Once we upgraded the camper to a Host Mammoth the ride quality got better and stability still did not suffer. I see no way a SRW could carry a camper of this size without causing handling or material issues.

Since upgrading the camper, I have added 400 lbs of enclosed boxes and 600 lbs of batteries to the truck and 300 lbs of batteries to the tongue of the trailer. To keep this combination level, the Ram 5500 has Torklift upper StableLoads. It is still under all sticker and wheel ratings and handles fine when loaded at 18,000 lbs GVW and 26,000 lbs GCW.

My take on the DRW/SRW debate is that you can upgrade a SRW beyond the sticker safely if you research the weakest parts and replace them. There are things you can do to a DRW to help handling a load, but you will find that GVWR and RAWR are closer to real component limits and you will not be able to increase those as much as a SRW that is limited by wheels and soft suspension.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I forgot to add, I went from a 2006 Ram SRW 2wd with a Wolf Creek (3000 lbs) and I was dead on my rear tire rating with normal loading, until I hooked up a trailer.

to a 2015 Ram 3500 4wd tradesman dually (with 4:10), Than to an Arctic Fox 990, than to a 2018 Ram 3500 laramie 2wd dually (3:73)

The 2015/2018 are different trucks from the 2006. but it was a big difference going from a SRW to a dually.
Than I added Lower staple loads to to the 2018 to bring it back up to level in the rear loaded and the sway/ability to carry load got even better.
all 3 trucks has the BigWig sway bar added to them.
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is not apples to apples.
If you want any data about SRW at it’s rated GVWR (which is an artificial number to begin with) vs. DRW at GVWR, you can’t throw in other variables that affect the outcome such as making one a shortbed and the other a long bed.
And it’s not like everyone doesn’t know the answer.
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.ramtrucks.com/ram-commercial/body-builders-guide.html

I was just looking through Ram body builders for 2018 and I don't see any SRW rams with a payload of over 4000 lbs. they don't list any 19 4x4's yet.

most of the 2018 dually long beds are rated at payload around 5600-5700 with diesel.

If your truck comes with a "camper slip" you will see the number lower. they take payload - about 150 lbs for each of the 6 seating positions so your allowable camper load slip will be 800-900 less. (I see they never did Camper guides for the ram 3500's in 2018 on line, and my 2018 did not come with one and factory could not produce it).

the Lance 844 is rated at 3967 lbs wet on truck camper mag.
the lance 1172 is rated at 5213 lbs wet on same site.
2022 Ford F150

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am at 13X DRW will be FAR more stable, and only a bad bit harder to park. We are full time 5er's and it is our only vehicle.

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

billyray50
Explorer
Explorer
steelhunter wrote:
DRW hands down has safer, more stable feel.

Most modern campers are way too heavy for a SRW. If you're using a SRW get a travel trailer or 5th wheel.

Just my experience and humble opinion.

X2

steelhunter
Explorer
Explorer
DRW hands down has safer, more stable feel.

Most modern campers are way too heavy for a SRW. If you're using a SRW get a travel trailer or 5th wheel.

Just my experience and humble opinion.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
Comment on the obvious is redundant ...
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Hands down get the DRW truck. Tried several different combinations of SRW trucks and campers. Was never truly happy until I got the DRW truck. Heck I even have a popup Alaskan on mine. The truck handles like there is nothing back there, cruising the Wyoming interstates at 80 Mph no problem. No white knuckle moments in cross winds or being passed by semi trucks. IMO if you are going to haul you need something to haul with, a little under GVWR is always better and safer than a little over GVWR.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carry an 11' camper on a 2007 Chevy reg cab 3500 SRW longbed. Ready to camp I was at 11,400 pounds on a truck's whose GVWR was 9,900, 15% over GVWR. After a couple years I put the exact same camper on a 2005 Chevy crew cab dually longed. Ready to camp I was at 13,100 pounds on a truck's whose GVWR was 11,400 pounds, also 15% over the GVWR. The first trip on the dually, as soon as I pulled across the bump from my gravel driveway onto the road, I noticed less bounce and sway. Just driving into town to get propane it was so much more stable I could hardly believe it. the difference was very noticeable.
If you want to carry a heavy TC get a dually. There just isn't anything better.