cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitch reducer

samhain7
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. Has anyone used a hitch reducer? Looking at a truck with a larger hitch. I think class 5. I have a class 4 wd hitch. Dealership said they sell a sleeve to reduce it. Is it safe? Any issues or recommendations.
Final notice from MasterCard. Good! I'm sick of hearing from them.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
2016 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins, E2 WD w/sway
2015 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 289BHS
13 REPLIES 13

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Etrailer has a selection. That's where I got mine and the hitch extension.

garry_owen
Explorer
Explorer
DanAndJamie wrote:
garry owen wrote:
DanAndJamie wrote:
I use one also. I have the 2.5" Titan receiver but my WD is a 2". It seems to work but there is a lot of slop and play with the WD hitch when not connected to the camper. I haven't noticed any issues or loud noises when towing.

same here. you have double the slop as the adapter has to slide into the receiver, and the hitch in to the adapter.

i don't care for this and have found 2.5 inch hitches to fit all my towing needs.

don't have to, or like to, use the adapter.

other than that it's a fact of life on the higher GVW units

I will get through this summer then I am buying the 2.5" shank for my Equalizer.

i might get flamed for telling you this but here goes

went to the iron and steel wear house and got a 2" id 2.5" od square tube.
drilled the 5/8" pin hole to match the hitch.

welded appropriate length to hitch and this took care of problem. had to do a bit of grinding to as tube would slide into receiver, but was a bit to tight to slide in and out. mostly just remove mill scale.

this worked well for me and don't see strength being any issue. i did price a new 2.5" shank for my equalizer and was about to purchase one. though i might try welding original adapter but wanted to keep that just in case. did this and have't looked back< so to speak:)
2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

skyhammer
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
My Silverado came with one. No problems using it. Funny though, "they" put a larger receiver on the truck, but I've never seen anything that you can put in it without the sleeve.

If you ever needed to use a hitch extension(I use a 40"), you will need the 2.5" hitch.
2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

DanAndJamie
Explorer
Explorer
garry owen wrote:
DanAndJamie wrote:
I use one also. I have the 2.5" Titan receiver but my WD is a 2". It seems to work but there is a lot of slop and play with the WD hitch when not connected to the camper. I haven't noticed any issues or loud noises when towing.

same here. you have double the slop as the adapter has to slide into the receiver, and the hitch in to the adapter.

i don't care for this and have found 2.5 inch hitches to fit all my towing needs.

I will get through this summer then I am buying the 2.5" shank for my Equalizer.
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD SLT 6.0 ltr gasser
2011 Keystone Outback 230RS
2 - Genuine Buddy 125 Scooters for fun

garry_owen
Explorer
Explorer
DanAndJamie wrote:

2010 HD Silverado club cab Dura Max FS3000 Weekend Warrior
X2 550 Sportsman 500 Sportsman

DanAndJamie
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing that would concern me about the sleeve is the wear that I have noticed on the pin. Mind you, the pin is pretty stout and it would take a lot of wear to weaken it but I have noticed the wear none the less.

Ram4Sam
Explorer
Explorer
Don't overpay at the dealership, Pep Boys and others have them.

Sam
2016 Dodge cummins 3500 SRW LB CC 4X4 Aisin, Nav, white w/brown
No keys, B&W TOB & Companion

Gone....served me well...1991 Dodge Cummins...2001.5 Dodge Cummins

2008 Thor Jazz 2870UK 5er

Driving a Dodge Cummins since 1991...

prfssr
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
My Silverado came with one. No problems using it. Funny though, "they" put a larger receiver on the truck, but I've never seen anything that you can put in it without the sleeve.

Yup, my 2013 Ram 3500 came with a class 5 hitch with a 3" receiver and a 2 1/2" sleeve. Does not make sense but at least they give you the sleeve. No problems on mine.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer

DanAndJamie
Explorer
Explorer

cbwallace
Explorer
Explorer
My TV has a Class 5 and I use a hitch reducer with my Equalizer WDH. Have towed using it several times and the only time I came close to an issue was when I removed the hitch but left the reducer in the receiver which was still there when I realized it!
Chris, Barb, two girls, a Yellow Lab and a Sammoyed
2013 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD Duramax Crew Cab 4X4
B&W Turnover Ball w/Anderson Ultimate Hitch
2019 Grand Design Reflection 31MB
2007 Crownline 252 EX
Kayaks, Quads, Bikes and anything else we can drag along!

e-light
Explorer
Explorer
I use one on my RAM. The truck came with it and it works perfect. No issues...
2015 Cougar 339BHS 5er
2016 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Laramie, 6.7L Cummins
Andersen Ultimate Aluminum 5th Wheel Connection
GONE:
2014 RAM 2500 Crew Cab, 4x4, Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of the trucks come with a hitch reducer. Check into it before purchasing one.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized