cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I guess I will be driving a new Ford tomorrow

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 F250 decided to blow up yesterday so I guess I will see how good Fords warranty coverage is. It has less than 15,000 miles on it. was taking a couple things to my work and had just pulled in to the parking lot and it started running rough and knocking a bit.Barely enough power to park it. I don't think it was a rod knock, not a heavy enough knock. More like the valve train disintegrated. I guess I will find out soon enough.

Any tips for dealing with Ford over this? I would hope they provide a loaner.
75 REPLIES 75

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
Ford just recently replaced a 5.4L in one of our E-450 cutaway vans at work because it failed similar to your truck. The truck is fine and one would never know the engine was replaced so I'm sure yours will be too!
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the support. Pretty rare these days to hear of major failures from any of the big three, or even the imports for that matter. Vehicles have gotten so very complicated over the years that you would expect more trouble but they seem to be more reliable than ever. I expect I will get many thousands of trouble free miles out of the new motor. Sure glad I have a couple more years of factory warranty to fall back on though. If it was late in year 3 I might think about trading it off.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
rhagfo wrote:
Well does the 2011 with 418,000 miles really count????

Well new engine soon, that will be nice, sorry the one in a million failure happened to you.

Ha, no. I would say that 400,000 miles is about as mush as you can expect for a gas engine in a 7000 lbs truck! I wouldn't count that as a failure, I would count that as routine maintenance at that point...
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
rhagfo wrote:
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
on a Ford Truck Forum.. Flatbed Ed. on his 2011 F 350.. 6.2L Gas... camshaft failure.. at 418,000 miles.. with photo's. he had Ford replace the engine...

nothing major happened before this...

this is the Second 6.2L I have read of a failure in 3 years...

Well new engine soon, that will be nice, sorry the one in a million failure happened to you.

I guess..... 3 years with only 2 engine failures reported...
it WAS MADE BY MAN.. or a machine made by MAN.... it counts..

if it was an assembly problem .. it would have failed sooner... so most likely part failure....
the Flatbed ED truck... cam lobes failed.. not shaft..

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dave H M wrote:
Key, thanks for the post back. I commend you on that and your positive attitude through the bum deal.

I think you just happened to draw a one in a million bad number.

Reminds me of that smooth running Kawasaki V twin on the back of my Z turn. All was well until out of the clear blue it started rattling and then turned itself off with a big bam. Exhaust valve head popped off and it was all down hill from there.

Hang in there. So far I am happier than a pig in you know what with my 2012 6.2.

Yup, sht happens to all things mechanical sometimes.

I had 2 different 6.2 company trucks that I drove like a rental and they were flawless engines as well.
I'm not a Ford guy at all and if I had to pick a big 3 gasser truck to be the most relaible I'd have trouble not picking a 6.2 Ford.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Youch!
Well that's the best possible news though. No sketchy internal repairs by some garage monkey. Jack up the intake and shove a new long block under it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Im sure you disappointed all the guys that were so sure Ford was going to jerk you around.
Hate it you got the defective one but a part will fail for no real reason sometimes.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Key, thanks for the post back. I commend you on that and your positive attitude through the bum deal.

I think you just happened to draw a one in a million bad number.

Reminds me of that smooth running Kawasaki V twin on the back of my Z turn. All was well until out of the clear blue it started rattling and then turned itself off with a big bam. Exhaust valve head popped off and it was all down hill from there.

Hang in there. So far I am happier than a pig in you know what with my 2012 6.2.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chuck_thehammer wrote:
on a Ford Truck Forum.. Flatbed Ed. on his 2011 F 350.. 6.2L Gas... camshaft failure.. at 418,000 miles.. with photo's. he had Ford replace the engine...

Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
First 6.2L failure I've read about here, or anywhere.

Same here, in fact everyone that I have spoken with that owns one has had good service from it.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
First 6.2L failure I've read about here, or anywhere.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

keymastr
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer called today, dropped a valve in number 5 which made enough mess before locking up that the block is toast. Complete engine is on it's way. Said it will be a couple weeks give or take so pretty happy with the outcome.

The wife is getting used to the loaner though so it will probably cost me some dough in the end.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:
I'll be very interested to hear the diagnosis. We have several Ford 6.2L trucks at my work and they have all been bulletproof.

Yep; the 6.2 is a great engine. It's not common to have them blow up that's for sure. Hell, it could be something as simple as an AC pump locking up and locking up the motor. A tech told me he had that happen to him once.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be very interested to hear the diagnosis. We have several Ford 6.2L trucks at my work and they have all been bulletproof.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes