cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I'm curios about the 6.7.

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
Been sitting here in my 5th wheel today while it's raining outside.

I've been seeing some 2007 Dodge trucks for sale. Some have the 5.9 and some have the 6.7. If you were buying one, which would it be? The 5.9 or the6.7? Have you heard of any consistent problems with either one?

Not that I would ever consider changing brands.:W
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel
31 REPLIES 31

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
blofgren wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
garysol wrote:
I feel like the people bitching about emissions and DEF don't actually own a modern diesel. These things are really non issues. I dump a gallon of DEF in its tank every few thousand miles for $10 and in trade maybe the earth will be around for my kids to enjoy and their kids after. About emission choked engine produces 800ftlb of torque at 1,700rpm. I am ok with that.

Don't forget that you can get 21+ mpg on the highway with a DEF equipped truck. I love mine. Haven't had a single issue with my truck or the DEF system.

Agreed. My dually doesn't get that kind of mileage but so far it has been completely reliable and pulls like a freight train. I'm a happy camper!:B

X3... My diesel is my daily driver and now has 90k miles and not a single problem to date. I'm a happy camper as well.

Having said that all the diesel's are more complicated than the diesels 10 years ago. The DPF will eventually need to be replaced, DEF injector will probably clog up and need to be replaced... etc...etc... The more hardware and sensors these trucks have the more opportunities for things to fail. Diesels have become exponentially complicated.

I don't know that complicated is the right word. Complex, yes but not complicated. The diesel engines of today work and operate the same as the old ones it's just controlled differently.

Now a gas engine on the other hand has gotten complicated. Two strokes even more so. LOL!
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
FishOnOne wrote:
X3... My diesel is my daily driver and now has 90k miles and not a single problem to date. I'm a happy camper as well.

Having said that all the diesel's are more complicated than the diesels 10 years ago. The DPF will eventually need to be replaced, DEF injector will probably clog up and need to be replaced... etc...etc... The more hardware and sensors these trucks have the more opportunities for things to fail. Diesels have become exponentially complicated.

Gas engines have become complicated too. Technology is getting more complicated across the board as engineers try to squeak as much power and economy out of engines as possible, all while dealing with new and more restrictive EPA regulations.

All we can hope is that the manufacturers find a way to make these complicated engines reliable. Just like unleaded fuel, fuel injection engines, VVTI, hybrid technology, etc... engines are changing.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
blofgren wrote:
spoon059 wrote:
garysol wrote:
I feel like the people bitching about emissions and DEF don't actually own a modern diesel. These things are really non issues. I dump a gallon of DEF in its tank every few thousand miles for $10 and in trade maybe the earth will be around for my kids to enjoy and their kids after. About emission choked engine produces 800ftlb of torque at 1,700rpm. I am ok with that.

Don't forget that you can get 21+ mpg on the highway with a DEF equipped truck. I love mine. Haven't had a single issue with my truck or the DEF system.

Agreed. My dually doesn't get that kind of mileage but so far it has been completely reliable and pulls like a freight train. I'm a happy camper!:B

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
spoon059 wrote:
garysol wrote:

2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Honestly, if you don't NEED a diesel then you should probably get a gas... especially if you don't tow much. Only reason I got a diesel is because I got a great deal on a used (same price for a used 2015 as a new 2015 gas model!!!). My friend has a 6.4 and LOVES it. Its his daily driver, plus it tows his boat and 7500 lbs RV. We live in Maryland, so for the "mountains" that we encounter, that is plenty of engine.

I don't have to daily drive my truck and I tow more often than he does, so the diesel was a great option for me.

Neither one of us have any regrets. Honestly, the problems with the modern diesels are WAY overblown though. A new Cummins, Duramax or Powerstroke will give you plenty of dependable reliable power if you drive it right, don't abuse it and keep up with maintenance.

The low HP Cummins is slow, but I didn't buy it to race. I bought it because it can haul my trailer at highway speeds all day long and barely break a sweat!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
garysol wrote:

I feel like the people bitching about emissions and DEF don't actually own a modern diesel.

I don't own a modern diesel (had an 06 and now a gasser) but I read A LOT on message forums from other owners. It seems every other day there is a thread about a Ford diesel puking coolant all over itself. On a Ram forum lately there was a thread titled "Why is the Cummins so Slow?" The general consensus was the emissions have everything so chocked up they just don't drive like they should. These are both things that make me gun shy about dropping 60K+ on a new truck.

It's been 2+ years but when I bought my 6.4 Hemi I test drove it back to back with a Cummins and remember walking about feeling like the Hemi just had more punch off the line. Of course, the diesel is a superior tow machine but 98% of the time I'm not towing.

I'd love to get a new diesel but reading about problems makes me hesitant. Fwiw... the 2017 Ford looks like a really nice truck but with the history of problems I just don't think I could do it.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
garysol wrote:

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

garysol
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
mtofell1 wrote:
Thread after thread of modern diesel engine talk is making me really think we are in the dark days of technology (or, more to the point, emission ****). The pre-DPF diesels are largely talked about as the cream of the crop. Pretty sad considering they are now 10 years in the rearview. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

I feel like 30 years from now the freeways will look like Cuba with a bunch of 2000-2006 Chevy/Dodge diesels rolling around.

Other than the up-front cost of going diesel in general, the DEF systems seem like a pretty decent "light at the end of the tunnel" to me. If not, a good compromise being that the tree huggers aren't going to let you "roll coal" anymore, and that doesn't do diesel any good in the eyes of the public anyway.

At least you're not spraying a gallon of raw fuel into the muffler every few hundred miles.

I feel like the people bitching about emissions and DEF don't actually own a modern diesel. These things are really non issues. I dump a gallon of DEF in its tank every few thousand miles for $10 and in trade maybe the earth will be around for my kids to enjoy and their kids after. Our emission choked engine produces 800ftlb of torque at 1,700rpm. I am ok with that.
2020 GMC Canyon
2022 NoBo 19.2

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
mtofell1 wrote:
Thread after thread of modern diesel engine talk is making me really think we are in the dark days of technology (or, more to the point, emission ****). The pre-DPF diesels are largely talked about as the cream of the crop. Pretty sad considering they are now 10 years in the rearview. Is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

I feel like 30 years from now the freeways will look like Cuba with a bunch of 2000-2006 Chevy/Dodge diesels rolling around.

Other than the up-front cost of going diesel in general, the DEF systems seem like a pretty decent "light at the end of the tunnel" to me. If not, a good compromise being that the tree huggers aren't going to let you "roll coal" anymore, and that doesn't do diesel any good in the eyes of the public anyway.

At least you're not spraying a gallon of raw fuel into the muffler every few hundred miles.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MSGTRETIREDCSP
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
You can add an exhaust brake to a 5.9. I had a Jacobs on my 03. I think in either 05 or 06 the 48RE transmission would work with one as well.

X2 in 2006.
The old 2003-2006 5.9 is pretty hard to beat for reliability and also pretty easy to service. Actually fairly good mileage also if you keep the speed down.
So how is your truck doing today OP?

Well, they have eliminated the egr cooler as the problem. Waiting to hear back from Ford if they should raise the cab up again to check the heads next?
2016 RAM Tradesman, 3500, DRW, 3:73, B & W hitch.
2007 Select Suites 5th Wheel

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
You can add an exhaust brake to a 5.9. I had a Jacobs on my 03. I think in either 05 or 06 the 48RE transmission would work with one as well.

X2 in 2006.
The old 2003-2006 5.9 is pretty hard to beat for reliability and also pretty easy to service. Actually fairly good mileage also if you keep the speed down.
So how is your truck doing today OP?
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

DesertFiver
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 07 6.7 new and still have it. I drive daily and tow all over the country. NO emission problems, it gets a ZERO emissions when state checks it!

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
We still have two old GMs, a real old Dodge an '05 RAM and 3 newer Fords on the place. In my opinion the 2011 and newer Fords, 2013 and newer Rams and 2014 and newer GMs are the trucks to buy.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
For 7 yrs towed 14K 5vr FT with my 07 5.9L CTD with 48RE tranny and Decelerator EB

Only 2 issues.........
1 caused by Dodge Dealership Service Dept mechanic......over torqued 1-2 gear bands when making adjustment at 25K service. 5K later...new tranny. Not the fault of unreliable tranny or lack of service or etc. Just a bonehead move by a 'mechanic'

2 issue........water pump leaked at 85K
Took 20 minutes to change out

I was not a Dodge truck fan.........had only owned one other Dodge and best day was the one when I got rid of it.
FORD trucks my whole life.

The 5.9L CTD made me a happy diesel owner (still am!)
Best truck purchase I ever made and I had some really good FORDs
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31