cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ideas to carry bikes

mrbreeze_az
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for an inexpensive practical way to transport our bikes (3 of them). Our old TT had a receiver hitch and we hauled them behind on a bike rack, which I was never too crazy about. No way to monitor them. New TT does not have reinforced bumper. I was thinking of a rack that would attach to the truck bed rails allowing cargo in the bed (generator, water, firewood, etc.) I would like to see your solutions. BTW, I have seen the tongue mounted racks but not sure if this will work for me. Thanks
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light 261 BHXL
2005 F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat
30 REPLIES 30

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess it all depends on what someone considers expensive.
Here is my tongue mounted rack (which as you said may not work for you) but works well for my rig.

Stromberg Carlson Trailer Tray - $197.62 (free shipping) from RV Upgrades

MaxxHaul Bike Rack - was about $75 from Amazon (free prime shipping)

I bolted them both together. Solid as a rock. No bouncing, no swaying. And ALWAYS in view! When not hauling bikes, I can take out four bolts and use the Trailer Tray for hauling something else.

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
We really like our Curtis front mount hitch for our truck and use a Swagman XC bike rack. Very solid and we can keep an eye on the bikes while going down the road.

We have the same arrangement. It works great.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am with the group that lays the bikes down in the bed with the front tires removed.

Crude but effective unless we need the bed. If we need the bed I remove the spare tire and clamp a carrier to the spare tire tube.

If they were high dollar bikes, I would buy a front bumper bike carrier.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Addy15
Explorer
Explorer
When we had the pop-up, we bought a Yakima roof rack for the bikes. When we got the TT, we had a new dilemma. What to do with the bikes? Everything we've read and researched indicates that bumper racks are not a good thing to do. So for awhile, we just put the bikes inside the trailer until we decided what to do. That worked OK for a few trips, but if we'd had more than two bikes, it wouldn't have worked. So anyway, my husband finally decided to just get some bed rails for the truck and now we have the same Yakima roof rack attached to the bed rails on the truck. Goes right over the tonneau cover. It's been working out very well.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
We really like our Curtis front mount hitch for our truck and use a Swagman XC bike rack. Very solid and we can keep an eye on the bikes while going down the road.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

twxsby89
Explorer
Explorer
I have hauled them on the front receiver, and it is fine for daytime, but once the headlights are on, the reflection off the rims is awful.
I have 5 bikes to haul around, and I like the idea of the Curt receiver on the back of the trailer.
The two adult bikes are on the dinette, with shoes on the pedals.

2013 K2500 Suburban
2016 Coachmen 310BHDSLE
2011 JKUR
2012 Wells Cargo Camp Convert

Go_Dogs
Explorer
Explorer
This might sound redneck but, I put thick socks on the pedals and stand them inside the trailer. Prop with bungees and pillows/dog beds.

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a very convenient and inventive solution... relatively low cost too.

Bike carrying solution....finally!
I love me some land yachting

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
A couple of these bolted onto a 2x6, slipped into the slots in the pickup bed. Cheap, low tech.

At camp I remove the board and store under the trailer out of the way.

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/bike-rack/truck-bed-bike-racks/thule-low-rider-821-_-4880

This is the Thule version. Other brands are available cheaper.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

mrbreeze_az
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
For previous posts on this subject try searching this Forum for `bike rack' and read on.

Thanks Dick!
I did search first and found a lot of information. Was looking for more.
2017 Forest River Salem Cruise Light 261 BHXL
2005 F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 Lariat

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
For previous posts on this subject try searching this Forum for `bike rack' and read on.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
there is a company that make brackets that will mount a bike to each side of truck bed... up on the wheel arch.. and have one off the tail gate.

google a search.

found it..

http://www.discountramps.com/truck-bed-bicycle-support/p/BS-01/

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't have room on my trailer tongue or over truck bed (have kayaks on rack over bed). We ended up with front receiver hitch and bike rack up there. I was not sure how I would like it, but it is fine (splatted bugs some on bike that need cleaning off occasionally). I might add some bungees to reduce movement but its been ok so far..

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I spent $20 on a curt receiver tube and bolted it to the trailer I-beam frame on the back end of the trailer. You can't see them while traveling but they're well secured to the rack and I use a bungee to limit the amount the bikes can move around underway. I am planning on the same thing on the other side to mount a genny rack.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

sparechange
Explorer
Explorer
went through the same thing and ended up making a simply rack for the bed of the truck.
2009 duramax, 2016 creekside 23dbs, 1 wife, 2 kids, 1 dog, 1 cat, 2 guinea pigs