cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Joined the diesel side of the force

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
My former gas '05 F250 just did not pull as well as I wanted. It would have been just fine back in the flatlands of Kansas when we purchased it, but out here in the hills of NC the 5.4L engine just didn't have the stuff. So over the weekend we bought a 2015 F250 diesel. This is the first diesel that I've ever owned.

The '05 only got 15 MPG when not towing and that was on a good day. For the 400+ mile trip back from the dealer we got 19 MPG, so I'm eager to see what we'll get towing.
2022 Ford F250 Super Duty
2020 Cherokee Arctic Wolf 285DRL4
B&W 20K Companion
28 REPLIES 28

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice upgrade! I'm sure you will be super pleased with the new truck!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
Well you did not consider giving the new generation 6.2 gasser a try, but that is ok.

I am one happy camper and switched from the 7.3 to the 6.2 gasser.

However it seems that the diesel folks have a much louder horn to toot. :B

I did consider staying with a gasser. What tipped me to the diesel side was I'm hoping to retire next year and either go fulltime or at least do longer trips, and hopefully this is the last truck I'll have to buy.

The horn on this thing isn't all that loud. May have to look into air horns.:p
B&W 20K Companion

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well you did not consider giving the new generation 6.2 gasser a try, but that is ok.

I am one happy camper and switched from the 7.3 to the 6.2 gasser.

However it seems that the diesel folks have a much louder horn to toot. :B

rowekmr
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats! I also towed with a 2015 F250 for a year and it really impressed me. I towed from 19' to 5th wheels with no issues.
10 Lincoln MKS Ecoboost
07 Lincoln Navigator
00 Newmar Dutch Star 3851

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Welcome to the diesel side. It may take you a little bit to learn the tricks required of a diesel jockey to get the best performance and mileage out of that engine, but you are going to love it.

FishOnOne
Nomad
Nomad
Be prepared to be impressed...
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

rav
Explorer
Explorer
or I as I have said to the kid with the loud pipe- it will also pull a camper!!

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
rav wrote:
enjoy the new truck! you will like towing with it and driving is fun too-

Going from a 5.4L to the 6.7L is already a lot of fun.:B
B&W 20K Companion

ParkCountry
Explorer
Explorer
You'll be wearing that silly grin on your face for the foreseeable future. Once you've tasted the sweet nectar of diesel power, you won't be going back to gasoline. Congratulations on the new rig.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
1st long trip w/ our truck in sig 2 years ago, we ended up in Asheville and had to go north to pick up I-81. Had 5 people in cab, 5er and both engine/engine brake worked GREAT. Maintained speeds going up/down hills, albeit maybe not at set hiway speed uphill, but nonetheless cruised effortlessly uphill. Congrats on your new ride and enjoy the smile.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

rav
Explorer
Explorer
enjoy the new truck! you will like towing with it and driving is fun too-

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
You'll love your new diesel. Now towing is a joy. Good luck.

B92F
Explorer
Explorer
alexleblanc wrote:
Having previously towed for four summers with a 2013 F250 with the 6.7 I can say that you'll enjoy that drivetrain a bunch, takes the stress out of climbing and going down hills.

There was a lot of stress on the few trips we've made so far, especially going down hill.
B&W 20K Companion

alexleblanc
Explorer
Explorer
Having previously towed for four summers with a 2013 F250 with the 6.7 I can say that you'll enjoy that drivetrain a bunch, takes the stress out of climbing and going down hills.
TV - 2017 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7 + 5er - 2021 Grand Design Reflection 311 BHS + B&W Companion
On Order - 2022 F350 CCSB SRW Platinum 6.7