cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Just when you think you have checked everything

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
When you think you have checked everything, check it again! Last weekend I was on my way home from 10 days of camping at Defeated Creek Campground near Carthage, TN. I decided to take highway 70 to go home instead of the interstate. I was tooling down the road, looked in my rear view mirror and saw the emergency exit window glass blowing in the wind, like a wing. I was lucky that the rod did not poke a hole in the screen. When we were camping the DW wanted some air flow in the bedroom area so I opened the window and then thought I had closed it the next day. I did not make sure the rod was properly hooked back in the bracket. Something else to add to my checklist.
Mark
25 REPLIES 25

mudpuppi
Explorer
Explorer
WOW! Glad I'm not the only one! I hate those type of windows. Unfortunately, it was late at night when we hit the road so I never saw the window depart from the trailer (hope it did not hit anyone). Did not know until we got home and the DH opened the door and then told me that we needed a new blind cause one had fell apart and was all over the floor in pieces. My first thought was how could that be? Ended up replacing with an upgraded combination escape/slider window which is much better secured and since you can slide open for air you don't touch the emergency exit latches.
2009 Puma 26FBSS
2006 Ford F250 Lariat SuperDuty 6.0 Turbo Diesel

pointbrze
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda wrote:
When you think you have checked everything, check it again! Last weekend I was on my way home from 10 days of camping at Defeated Creek Campground near Carthage, TN. I decided to take highway 70 to go home instead of the interstate. I was tooling down the road, looked in my rear view mirror and saw the emergency exit window glass blowing in the wind, like a wing. I was lucky that the rod did not poke a hole in the screen. When we were camping the DW wanted some air flow in the bedroom area so I opened the window and then thought I had closed it the next day. I did not make sure the rod was properly hooked back in the bracket. Something else to add to my checklist.

I'm a solo camper, so when I have camping visitors they always want to help. It's hard for me to tell them "no," so I give them something simple, like "police" the campsite for any trash, etc. I will have to make sure I check both windows with emergency rods.

By the way, we LOVE Defeated Creek Campground. Spent the first week of August out there!
Me - Cindy
Sonny (Toy Poodle)
CoCo (LhasaPoo)

2010 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2501SS
2007 Tundra V8, 5.7L, P2 brake controller

janechucknicode
Explorer
Explorer
Mark and Linda wrote:
Lantley wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I had that same flapping wing issue on my prior TT. For some reason the bar would not stay secure. I ended up securing it with a cable tie! So much for the emergency escape!

Did you really permanently disable you emergency exit window? :E I just picture one of those night club or textile factory fires where the exit doors were chained shut.

I did read on here where someone uses a large binder clip to hold the rod latched. It seems like these would do the same job, and be easily removable if an emergency happens. link

Yes I secured the arm with a plastic zip tie.:o
I could have cut it off to exit in an emergency. Nevertheless the zip tie would have potentially delayed my emergency exit!:S
I have since traded that TT zip tie and all.:W

This makes me think about my airplane days, I need to use some breakaway copper wire on mine to make sure it is securely fastened. We used it on the emergency stuff.....

I drilled a 1/8" hole in the bar. then inserted a tent wire stake for a keeper. Works great to sleep wth the window open and prevents it from flipping open and slaMMMING down to wake you up.
Cheers

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
opnspaces wrote:
Lantley wrote:
I had that same flapping wing issue on my prior TT. For some reason the bar would not stay secure. I ended up securing it with a cable tie! So much for the emergency escape!

Did you really permanently disable you emergency exit window? :E I just picture one of those night club or textile factory fires where the exit doors were chained shut.

I did read on here where someone uses a large binder clip to hold the rod latched. It seems like these would do the same job, and be easily removable if an emergency happens. link

I could have cut it off to exit in an emergency. Nevertheless the zip tie would have potentially delayed my emergency exit!:S

This makes me think about my airplane days, I need to use some breakaway copper wire on mine to make sure it is securely fastened. We used it on the emergency stuff.....
Mark

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Taplep wrote:
Been there done that. Make sure you check the seal at the top of the outside window. When I had my 'bird wing' episode, it bent the outside frame (you could barely notice a gap) and allowed water to leak into the trailer. Ended up replacing the window instead of caulking since it sat under the roof gutter.

Need to go over mine again just to make sure, thanks for the info.
Mark

flamingo139
Explorer
Explorer
We just completed our second long distance trip with our tt. We have set up the same routine: wife inside, me outside. I just typed up a checklist to use in the future. Happy trails.

herbhofmann
Explorer
Explorer
BAMA_57 wrote:
At least you caught it before anything was damaged. On our first trip with our TT a lady pulled along side and told me I was about to lose our bicycles. I had mounted a bike rack at the rear bumper and the bikes were bouncing off the back of theTT. If she hadn't warned me no telling what I would have torn up. :S

I had the same thing happen. Back around 2003 we bought our first TT- a 1973 18ft. Prowler. I thought I was brilliant when I found one of those 2" receiver attachments and mounted it to the rear bumper of our Prowler. Didn't know that it wasn't a 4" square tube- it was a flat piece of sheet metal bent 3 times and spot welded at the inside bottom edge (and had 30 years to rust!). No one bothered to honk and let me know that the bike rack had twisted the bumper down and that my daughter's bike now had only 1 1/2 wheels! If I hadn't had the window down and finally heard the noise, who knows what damage would have been caused. I have visions of the Griswald's dog leash hanging from the bumper (think National Lampoon's Vacation LOL).
Herb & Liz
3 Adult Kids & Spouses who love to Camp with us
2002 Toyota Tundra
2008 Thor Summit 22RB (2013 >)
1973 Prowler 18ft. (2003-2013)

There is not one blade of grass, there is no color in this world that is not intended to make us rejoice. John Calvin

Akeru
Explorer
Explorer
This happened to us! My DD didn't latch it all the way or it "popped" out of position. I lost the screen, which I assume was knocked out by the handle. A couple of noodles were sucked out the window. Our entire trip we were on a busy road...and no one notified me we were losing things out the window!

I was lucky enough to find a salvaged replacement screen at a local CW.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
Lantley wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
opnspaces wrote:
Lantley wrote:

19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Lantley wrote:

2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Wow, one more thing to check before I depart. Glad it didn't damage your trailer or screen.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a checklist that we check just as we are getting ready to roll. But sometimes we forget to look at the list. Sigh.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I lost my exit window somwhere in southern GA or northern FL. My daughter must have bumped it while she was sleeping. We left very early in the am and i did not see it. Those windows are $$$$!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!