cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lariat vs sierra 2500

boingram
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all....i hesitate to open this can of worms but i need some hard info...

...gonna buy either a 250 lariat or gmc denali 2500...diesels...

...egos and brand loyalty aside. ..how about some observations from anyone with these tvs...tt in 10000 pound range and a bed full of toys and stuff....thx...bo
26 REPLIES 26

chevor
Explorer
Explorer
GM has the longest unchanged engine/transmission combination. The Duramax Allison has proven itself reliable.

ken_burke
Explorer
Explorer
TXiceman wrote:
I drove all 3 of the big 3 for a 1 ton dually. The GM diesel had the worst ride and the cheapest looking interior. Dodge was second and Ford was first.

But drive them and decide what suit your requirements.

Ken

Yep. That happened to me. I really set out to buy the Chevy, but after driving all 3, I chose the Ford.
I think that it is really important to get a good, compendent, reasonable dealer. He has to be your friend for years to come.
ken
2011 Ford F-350 6.7 diesel, Crew Cab, LB, SRW, 4X4, White
Cedar Creek 34SB, 37 feet 5th wheel, Reese 20K Hitch
"So many questions, so little time."

lazydays
Explorer
Explorer
stickdog wrote:
Word, take the wife out for test drives of both then let her decide.

We have a winner!!! I made that mistake only once. The last time I drove a Dodge and Chevy. She liked the Chevy. That is the one I bought.
Very Patient Wife
Two Boys & a Girl
2013 Keystone Avalanche 345TG
2016 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD 6.6L

RollingRockTX
Explorer
Explorer
ib516 wrote:
Buy the one you like best. There isn't a bad choice these days.

^^^^^^^ Agreed.
2017 F150 Lariat 3.5EB
2016 Acura MDX SWD
2013 Yamaha Golf Cart
10 year old Quarter Horse, "Shadow"
2019 Jayco White Hawk 28BH

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
Buy the one you like best. There isn't a bad choice these days.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

Winged_One
Explorer
Explorer
Why not pay the 1.5% more and get a 350/3500, and have more capacity?
2013 F350 6.7 DRW SC Lariat
2011 Brookstone 354TS
Swivelwheel 58DW
1993 GL1500SE
Yamaha 3000ISEB

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
Ford has better transmission controls with true manual shifting in addition to the "range select" function which compares to GM's "manual shift" function, which isn't really manual.
Having driven both 1 tons, the GM's trans is smoother but slushier. The cruise control on the Ford is more intuitive, and the GM's have less dampening from their shocks, I find the GM smoother but less stable, and the Ford a bit harsher, but better controlled.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
APT wrote:
I highly recommend spending the extra $500 on a SRW 1-ton. You are looking at more heavily optioned diesels that will have 2000-2400 pounds of payload. A 10k loaded TT east up 1300 pounds of that, then people and bed full of toys/gear/firewood too? Do it right.

No reason not to consider any of the 3 brands. Drive them all and pick what your butt likes the most.

I totally agree with this. Big trailer, lots of stuff in the bed, heavy diesel engine, you need a 1-ton, to have enough payload.

Jerry

APT
Explorer
Explorer
I highly recommend spending the extra $500 on a SRW 1-ton. You are looking at more heavily optioned diesels that will have 2000-2400 pounds of payload. A 10k loaded TT east up 1300 pounds of that, then people and bed full of toys/gear/firewood too? Do it right.

No reason not to consider any of the 3 brands. Drive them all and pick what your butt likes the most.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Word, take the wife out for test drives of both then let her decide.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
“A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.” Lao Tzu

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
It depends a lot on the year. If it is a 2015 then there is little difference other than the Sierra 2500 has an independent front suspension and a smoother ride and shorter turning radius.

The Sierra (starting in 2011) has a much stiffer frame and is more on par with the Ram 2500 trucks from 2014 to 2015. That is most noticeable with the DRW trucks where the wheels are further out from the frame and exert more leverage and twist the frame more as a result.

Ford has more options available which is both good and bad. Good in terms of options but bad in that it can be very confusing as to what you get exactly with each one and this is where I would not for a second trust the opinion of the dealer. For example there is a heavy load package that increases payload capacity and a towing upgrade and it is not clear which one provides what and with a 5th wheel will one want to have both.

I would compare fuel tank capacity and the availability of a Titan tank for both trucks. Great to have an extra 20 gallons and 20 miles more range when towing.

As mentioned the comfort of the ride and the handling is also a consideration.

As for towing there are useful articles with actual towing tests done by etrailer.com and Car and Driver of the different 1-tons and the results are very much applicable to the 2500 trucks with the diesel engine. This is where the ability to pull up a grade or accelerate to freeway speed with a heavy trailer is more likely to be noticeable as is the grade control and exhaust brake function with the different trucks.

With the 2015 I would be looking at Ram as well. Ram sells more 1-ton trucks than either Ford or GM, has the strongest frame, Cummins engine which uses some parts in common with heavy duty truck engines, and has an excellent exhaust brake.

I have a 2011 GM Duramax and I was surprised at how perfectly the grade control feature works with the tow/haul mode and with or without the exhaust brake engaged (which can be engaged or disengaged at any time with the push of a button on the dash). I have come down 8% grades with a heavy load in tow and never had to touch the brakes and the truck stayed at 35 MPH. A tap on the brakes and the truck would automatically downshift and maintain a 25 MPH speed to get through a section with tighter curves. The downhill control is where I most appreciate having the very expensive diesel engine under the hood.

texasclarks
Explorer
Explorer
Buy the one that is most comfortable...for you and DW! I think any of the big 3 are good and they all have a loyal owners as well as naysayers!
Posts are for entertainment purposes only and should not be construed as endorsement or recommendations. YMMV!

Steven & Stacie, plus 2 ('02 & '07)
'04 Suburban 2500, Quad Seats, 8.1L, 3.73
'09 Rockwood 8313SS

Texas not just a State, but a State of mind!

1oldtruck
Explorer
Explorer
I have never owned a Ford but plenty of friends do and they don't complain about having problems. I have ridden in them and they are comfortable,

My previous truck had the Denali package and was a nice truck. It didn't have any options that couldn't be purchased on a Silverado LTZ or Sierra SLT aside from a few appearance items. This is also the reason I ended up with the Silverado this time as it was a few thousand cheaper than a similarly equipped Denali.

I don't think you can go wrong with either truck. If money isn't a concern pick out the 2015 you like best and enjoy.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
buy whatever I have...because it's the best one.
I have a Ford. No, wait, I have a GM...buy one of those.

Or, you could look in a can of worms for the answer.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro