cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loosing trailer brakes

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD. The other day while driving on the X-way a message came on the dash to service trailer brakes. OOPS no brakes on trailer. Long story short there is a bulletin out that it has to do with the electrical system and the computer has to be reprogrammed.
Dick OK
11 REPLIES 11

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
Try swapping either the truck or trailer, to isolate the truck. Lots of trailers have sub-par brake wiring prone to shorts and open connections.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
What do you mean by, "OOPS no brakes on trailer?"

Do you mean, OOPS the brakes don't work?

Do you mean, OOPS, there are no brakes physically installed on the trailer you are towing?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Guys,

The message will come on without any trailer hooked up in a lot of cases. Yes a great idea is to clean the connectors. Also OP google it up, there is a lot of info out there concerning this problem. Did u have the computer reprogrammed ye? Just curious if you had and if it has resolved your issue.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Mine used to flash that same message and it was very erratic. I finally found damaged wires in the axle tubes on the trailer. The ratty little rubber bushing used to protect the wires had long since failed and rubbed a hole in the wire insulation. There was plenty of slack in the wiring so I pulled it out and wrapped it with electrical tape. Has worked fine ever since.

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
when was the last time you cleaned both sides of the 7 pin connectors...
should do it once a year... every year... its a weak point (contact)..

bad connection = no brakes. and the controller senses it.

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
I had this before on my truck, the message has flashed up on my screen before. There are a few things that can cause this. There has been a post a few months ago on the same subject and I hope that OP can respond to what he had found. Mine has come on after it rains so I think that water gets in the rear control box or just a connection. I have not replaced anything because it goes back to normal. Google up what others have found, and the box by the spare tire seems to be a possible problem. I ordered one of those off eBay for around 70.00 just to keep if that's the case, cause the dealer charges alooooootttttt more..... Also get under neith the truck and follow the wiring harness, u may find a spot of rubbing or where water can enter. Hope this helps, and others will chime in.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
There's an 08 and 09 DRW 3500HD in my driveway, both with the ITBC. I've never had any trouble, nor heard of a bulletin indicating a computer reprogram was required.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Bigfoot_affair
Nomad II
Nomad II
DickOK wrote:
I have a 2008 Chevrolet 2500 HD. The other day while driving on the X-way a message came on the dash to service trailer brakes. OOPS no brakes on trailer. Long story short there is a bulletin out that it has to do with the electrical system and the computer has to be reprogrammed.

You have owned this truck and trailer for awhile I take it? Strange it would just pop up out of the blue, I'd suspect something is up with your trailer.

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
DickOK wrote:
OR, in my case it was a matter of the chipmunks chewing through the wiring going to the controller unit. Lol.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

DickOK
Explorer
Explorer
Typing toooooo fast.
Dick OK

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick, I believe the word is "losing"... not sure if there is such a word as loosing.

Just saying...no disrespect intended.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....