cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need advice on buying an electric tongue jack.

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
My electric tongue jack on my Sunset Trail 27 RB light travel trailer is still working but looking tired. I can't even figure out what make the jack is. The foot pad dropped off somewhere and is lost. I'm considering buying a new jack. Working the hitch up and down to hook up is a lot of work and the electric jack is a necessity. I have seen the jacks for as low as $100 and as high as $229. I think my tongue weight is under a thousand pounds, maybe 800 LBS. Any recommendations on make? I'm looking for cheap but dependable.
12 REPLIES 12

Spade_Cooley
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the help. My hitch is old and ugly but it still works. After looking at the various hitches on the internet I discovered mine is a Baker. Why in the world didn't they put a name on the hitch that would stay put rather than decals that go away. I called Baker Customer Service this morning and ordered a few parts to keep it going. I have the lesser 3,000 model.

ROBERTSUNRUS
Explorer
Explorer
🙂 Hi, my trailer came with a Barker. After more than ten years of use it stripped a gear. I bought another brand tongue jack and it had to be replaced under warranty three times. I bought a replacement gear for my Barker and it's back on my trailer. I later bought another spare gear for my 13 year old trailer.
🙂 Bob 🙂
2005 Airstream Safari 25-B
2000 Lincoln Navigator
2014 F-150 Ecoboost
Equal-i-zer
Yamaha 2400

aguablanco
Explorer
Explorer
Had an Atwood that died and gave THIS a try. Have been pleasantly surprised. Quiet, good looking and quicker than my old one. Used it many times on our recent 30 day trip and it worked flawlessly. Great price on top of it all.
RichH
2017 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
8 Speed Transmission
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

old_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I suggest getting the barker also. I had a heart attack when I was 39 and cranking by hand was hard on me so I bought a barker. I had that barker for 20 years and when it came time to trade off the TT I gave it to my son and he used it for 2 more years and when he sold his TT he gave it to his cousin. it served us well and even barker inc was impressed. I think it belongs in a museum or something

atwowheelguy
Explorer
Explorer
Most who use a weight distribution hitch need to lift the trailer tongue AND the back of the truck to attach the weight distribution bars. If you size it just to lift the unattached tongue, it will not be sufficient to lift the back of the truck also to attach the WDH bars.

My tongue weight is 780 lbs. and the 3500 lb. tongue jack is slipping a gear (probably a torque limiter) when it gets near the height I need to attach the WDH bars. If I ever have to replace mine, I will go to a 4500 lb. rated jack.
2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

pira114
Explorer II
Explorer II
Huskey Brute 4500. Last one you'll ever buy most likely. And probably the quietest one made

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
GordonThree wrote:
Get The Barker... They're all rated for 1000s of pounds, not really for the actual tongue weight. The extra power is handy if you're parked a little off level and the hitch is stuck on the ball.

X2.
I abused my Barker for 13 years by lifting the back of my truck enough to break loose a sticking coupler and I never performed the maint. called for.
They take a ton of abuse and just keep asking form more.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Harbor Freight jack goes up and down as directed. It has a light. Cheap with a 20% off coupon. My point is that the cheap ones work. Keep it covered and I think that it will be moved to its third trailer in a year or two. Not necessary, but I drilled new mounting holes to gain tailgate clearance. Didn't mind doing it to a low priced jack.

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
Get The Barker... They're all rated for 1000s of pounds, not really for the actual tongue weight. The extra power is handy if you're parked a little off level and the hitch is stuck on the ball.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
ScottG wrote:
My new TT has one made by Atwood. It works fine but is horribly noisy and cheap sounding compared to The Barker I had on my last TT.

Same here. I have an Atwood Electric Jack that came on my Creek Side and it's has sounded like it's on it's last leg from day one. I can't think I'd buy another one just based on that.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My new TT has one made by Atwood. It works fine but is horribly noisy and cheap sounding compared to The Barker I had on my last TT.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
"I think my tongue weight is under a thousand pounds, maybe 800 LBS?" Determine actual tongue weight...loaded and wet. If tired, replace. Lippert has worked well for me. CW has a good selection.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad