cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need new tow vehicle

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a new Flagstaff 831FLSS. It weighs in with a gross weight of about 8600 lbs. Since we currently store it in Myrtle Beach year round, I towed it there from Central VA with my 1500 Suburban, (although no where near the gross weight since most everything we carry was in the trailer already stored there).

Needless to say the trailer was still a bit more than the Suburban should have handled, but it was a one way tow and we made it without incident, just slow.

I am now considering a new TV in case I need to go get the trailer in an emergency(hurricane aiming for the beach), or if we just decide to bring it home. So, I am asking for opinions on what any of you currently use and why you like (or) dislike it.

I really like Suburbans but a 3/4 ton is no where to be found within 250 miles of our location (according to the GM website). The local dealer has plenty of trucks and has dynamite deals going this weekend. I am sure they can order one, but I prefer to actually see and test it before committing to it.

The local guy has a really good one on a Chevy 1500 6.2l crew cab LTZ with a 9400 lb tow rating which we are considering, but have not made a decision on yet. They also have a decent selection and good deals on 2500HD series plus a couple of diesels. While I understand diesels are the ultimate towing machine, I am not sure I want to fork over an extra 7K or more to get that heavy duty vehicle.

I generally like GM products but am open to anything at the present time.

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes time to read this rambling post and wants to share an opinion.
16 REPLIES 16

blt2ski
The Texan wrote:
Bob Landry wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Amazing how some put down the new 1500 trucks without having any idea what they can and can not do today. The GM 6.2L with the 3.73 rear and 6 speed tranny is more than adequate to tow your trailer anywhere in the US, including the mountains in the west. We routinely tow a 10K trailer out here in the mountains and are very satisfied with the performance and feel very comfortable driving it. Ours has a 2000ยฑ# payload and a !0,400# bumper pull or a 10,700# 5er. The Ford F150 is also very capable and is pulling trailers much heavier than yours.

I don't think anyone is intentionally putting down 1/2 ton trucks. By the time you add DW, a couple of kids, 800-900 lbs tongue weight plus the hitch, and some gear in the bed, you are over all of the ratings of a 1/2 ton truck with a large trailer.
So you consider a ยฝt with 3000# plus payload and a 12,000# plus towing limit numbers as inadequate for towing a "large trailer"? There are factory ยฝt trucks with those numbers and they have a V-6 engine......

Texan, your last post shows issues with many 15 sereis trucks. THere are a few that have the payload specs you mention, ie probably 1 or 2 out of 10, the rest will be in the mid 1000-2000 range. Even if they have the power to pull per say, they do not have the payload to handle the hitch, people etc.

At the end of the day, ALL of us, need to look at payload more than some of us do. NOT the badging, or tow ratings! It is better to go a bit slower with a proper payload/loaded rig, with a lower rating than you are towing, than to have a proper tow rating, but be over on the gvwr/gawr of a given rig.

For the OP, a 25 series 8 lug rig will generally speaking, be a better match for your needs than a 1500. THere area a few 15's that will work, unless you can get one of them, get a 25 or 35 series rig.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Targa
Explorer
Explorer
In lieu of the 2500 Suburban, I would look at a 3/4 or 1 ton CHEVY/GMC van with a Quigley 4x4 conversion.

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer
Bob Landry wrote:
The Texan wrote:
Amazing how some put down the new 1500 trucks without having any idea what they can and can not do today. The GM 6.2L with the 3.73 rear and 6 speed tranny is more than adequate to tow your trailer anywhere in the US, including the mountains in the west. We routinely tow a 10K trailer out here in the mountains and are very satisfied with the performance and feel very comfortable driving it. Ours has a 2000ยฑ# payload and a !0,400# bumper pull or a 10,700# 5er. The Ford F150 is also very capable and is pulling trailers much heavier than yours.

I don't think anyone is intentionally putting down 1/2 ton trucks. By the time you add DW, a couple of kids, 800-900 lbs tongue weight plus the hitch, and some gear in the bed, you are over all of the ratings of a 1/2 ton truck with a large trailer.
So you consider a ยฝt with 3000# plus payload and a 12,000# plus towing limit numbers as inadequate for towing a "large trailer"? There are factory ยฝt trucks with those numbers and they have a V-6 engine......

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Hokiehall
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies folks. Since we are not in a hurry we are going to wait a while and see what comes up. More opinions are welcome though.

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
If you're unhappy with the 1500 Suburban I don't see how a 1500 truck is much of an upgrade. I would hold out for the 2500 suburban. That's sounds like the vehicle you want. You know you like GM and Suburbans so I wouldn't be that worried about buying one without driving it. However, if the dealer wants to sell you one he'll find you one to drive. If he can't find one who wants your business more and will find you one to drive.

Bob_Landry
Explorer
Explorer
The Texan wrote:

I don't think anyone is intentionally putting down 1/2 ton trucks. Most of the new ones can easily pull a 8500-10,000 lb trailer easily. It's just that many of of us have towed with them and learned the expensive lessons about their shortfalls. that is payload and they all suffer from it. Unfortunately, and with a little help from a slick salesman, the only spec many people look at is towing capacity. You also have to consider payload, braking, gear ratios, etc. Not only do you have to get to the top of the mountain, you have to stop at the bottom. By the time you add DW, a couple of kids, 800-900 lbs tongue weight plus the hitch, and some gear in the bed, you are over all of the ratings of a 1/2 ton truck with a large trailer. There are many applications where a 1/2 truck is a capable and safe vehicle, but it requires some research and education to make a safe choice.
2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
The 6.2 chevy is plenty of engine. probably the most powerful gas engine ever sold from the factory in a light truck other than the viper engine they put in a "sporty" truck.

The payload and stability will be better with a 3/4 ton. the 6.0 in the 2500hd and 3/4 suburban would be enough engine for that trailer.

If I were you I would be looking at a 3/4 ton.

Make sure you check what weight you have to register at and if you will qualify for personal property tax relief. A 2500hd might not qualify depending on how you register it. I know for us VA residents that can mean some serious coin to have to pay full tax on vehicles.

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
The "14" GM models are supposed to be much better than the "13's". That means you should be able to get a great deal on a "13". I did. The 6.0 in the 2500 series is an okay engine for the trailer in your original post (8,600 pounds)

wcjeep
Explorer
Explorer
Make sure you look into passenger van safety. Chrysler got away from them. I drive a fully loaded one at work (tools). No way I would drive on for personal use. The van brakes are inadequate compared to my towrig (both 3/4). Here's one Google search 15 passenger van

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think my next TV is probably going to be a 12 passenger van (shorty) in one ton or 3/4 ton. Like said before they are cheap, economical (getting 14.7 MPG with the Ford E-350 2013 5.4 Rental) tons of capacity and easy to drive.

The HD halfs are capable. No doubt. But just getting the base model in a 3/4 ton model will generally outperform even highest capacity half ton.

Choose wisely,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Texan, those NHT package GM trucks and Max Tow/HD payload package F150s are rare to find on any dealer lot. 6.2L 9400 pounds tow rating means non NHT, probably in the 1350 pounds of payload for LTZ. It's a strong engine and with NHT especially, a great truck for RVing. But 3/4 ton is better at towing. Is the trade off od empty driving worth it? Each must decide.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

The_Texan
Explorer
Explorer

Bob & Betsy - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"

2005 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/2017 Rzr 4-900 riding in 16+' enclosed trailer in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, there are some really good deals on GM trucks through the end of the month. I have towed my old trailer with a Yukon XL Denali, that had the 6.2. Plenty of engine! Not as much stability as my 2500 Yukon XL.

As for the trailer, I would recommend that you go with a 2500.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Hokiehall wrote:
The local dealer...has dynamite deals going this weekend.

The dealer will have dynamite deals going everyday. The truck costs him the same every day of the week, and there are no factory to dealer incentives expiring this week end. You will actually get a better price next Friday May 31!