cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New.Flatbed. What should I be concerned/thinking about.

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer

Im throwing that camper on that bed. I have torklifts, and am experienced with the truck/camper combo on my regular bed. Just wondering your thoughts on flatbeds etc. My one question, Should have some support on the sides where the bed rails would be? Other than that Im just looking for thoughts/concerns/ideas!
15 REPLIES 15

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
It may be moot now, but did you put any thought into a 3-point or 4-point diamond pivoting bed system? Sadly, if you do much off-roading, you may be in danger of pulling a truck camper apart, frame twist, by axle twist. There are ways to mitigate the problem, however. There are a couple gurus on Expedition Portal who have
BTDT with pivoting beds.
Another sure-fire way to locate your TC is by using camper guides: a quartet of triangle shaped metal stops (or facsimile) that reside in your bed to keep the TC in check. Some with campers that go all the way to the edge on flatbeds use 6 tabs to locate the camper on the bed. Two each side; two on the rear.
I have a buddie who has a MB unimog with the stock fold down side boards and an
Alaskan camper bolted to the bed. He keeps a lot of stuff along the sides. Cool rig.

jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
The Aussie boys down under sure like the flat bed truck for alot of their setups..

Pickup beds are in the minority.

jroddick
Explorer
Explorer
Mine has nothing but Fast Guns holding it on, never moves sideways.

Jeffrey

" If you don't think too good..... don't think too much"

the_tc_life
Explorer
Explorer
rather than list the things i have done, ill add a link to my blog with the post of getting the camper on the flatbed.
i have now put thousands of miles on my set up. ranging from smooth highways to logging roads. rough enough roads that people are surprised i took my 2wd truck through it. ive driven it all year long in all weather conditions. if you have any more questions about my set up let me know. i am willing to share what i have done. you will find that the few of us that use a flatbed have very unique set ups even when compared to each other. you will also find that we dont care to go back to a regular bed. so with that in mind...here is the link:

link
2010 adventurer 810ws
1999 c3500 dually 12' flatbed

THE TC LIFE

BlueCoyote
Explorer
Explorer
Our budget build using a flatbed
The side cargo area is all framed in and has drop down doors. The diamond plate skins are next. These are a permenant set up, but could also be designed are removable. Camper is center located with several 3x3 angle and sets on 3/8 rubber mat. Tie downs go to C-channel at the front & rear of the bed (aka very strong).

The LH side has room for all the camping stuff, chairs, BBQ, cooler fits in there as well.

RH side has a tool box built in, rack for the N2 tank, and room for all the pit boxes and spare parts.
2005 EnduraMax - camping with a lift gate
1990 Chevy V3500
1987 Bigfoot C11.5 - 4 sale

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hopefully you will have enough side bed clearance to allow the four legs to lift the TC up off the bed for loading etc... The open truck bed might be too wide for the support lifts...

Of course this would be no concern if this may be a more permanent install...

I would most definitely come up with additional storage drawers/doors etc.. That is my only downside for Truck Campers. I would lose my truck bed to bring along all the necessary support supplies making me always tow a utility trailer behind the truck.

The Aussie boys down under sure like the flat bed truck for alot of their setups...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Reality Check wrote:
I've used two pieces of angle, both have ends bent at an angle, for years. The angles have small drop pins (i.e. bolt) that corresponds with holes drilled in the bed. They just drop in. I move them depending on what I'm hauling. For the camper, they're set at 50" (camper is 49"). They're only about 5' long.
Love Flatbeds and owned and used them since the 60s. Reality Check has the best suggestion. Just treat your camper, like a motorcycle and put a track in like you would the tires of a motorcycle, just wider to fit the width and length of the camper. I would put more height on the rails, side and front, to spread the contact more. Many have taken their flatbeds further, by installing tool boxes along side, on top and below the flatbed, as well as installing things you would not normally find on a Pickup. You can install DOT Propane tanks, under the bed as well as additional Potable and Waste tanks below. These additions will aid in lowering your Center of Gravity the fact that a Flatbed places a TC higher, above the rear axle, than a conventional pickup bed affords.

Also, attach your camper to the bed and not below it to the frame. The flatbed will torsionally move differently than the frame does, by design. Attaching your TC to the Frame will result in your TC being crushed between the two. Most Flat Beds are installed with compression springs to allow movement to occur between the bed and the frame. Which is good.

There a number of people here that have flatbeds, TC Life and btggraphix, immediately to mind and they are excellent in sharing what they know.

Have fun.
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
The camper did not come in contact with the bed rails before.

It does not need any support there now.

That space is free and clear for anything you may want to put there. Many people use the space for toolboxes to gain additional secure weatherproof storage.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
I've used two pieces of angle, both have ends bent at an angle, for years. The angles have small drop pins (i.e. bolt) that corresponds with holes drilled in the bed. They just drop in. I move them depending on what I'm hauling. For the camper, they're set at 50" (camper is 49"). They're only about 5' long.

I use them for keeping the sleds on when the bed is used as a sled deck. Each one keeps the inner ski in location (sleds have about a 38" wide stance). When I don't want them at all, they just lift out.

Tie down is the easiest part. I use the short fast guns (Derringers) straight to the bed rails.

And storage... always need more room.

'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
I actually have airbags on the truck, but clearance is a good point.

woodhog
Explorer
Explorer
Try to insure that the tires don't rub on the bed when the weight comes on the bed, especially on cornering or rough roads.

Utilized the area under the camper skirts for storage if you can handle more weight. Just a small side board will work on both sides for rough items.

A thin rubber mat might help stabilize the camper, it shouldn't go anywhere with 4 tie downs anyway.Dozens of flatbeds on the road with only a few straps and chains on the cargo...
2004.5 Dodge 4x4 SRW Diesel, 245/70R19.5 Michelin XDS2, Bilstein Shocks
Torklift Stable loads, BD Steering Stabilizer Bar, Superchips "TOW" Programed,Rickson 19.5 wheels

2006 8.5 Northstar Arrow, 3 Batteries 200 Watts Solar,
12 Volt DC Fridge.

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, i havent figured that part out yet. I need secure storage more than element proof, just for my cooler, generator and firewood. Maybe Ill build a box that butts up to the side of the camper

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I think something that lock into the stake pockets would be good unless you plan to add some storage boxes to fill up the space.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

johnhealey1776
Explorer
Explorer
Obvious suggestions aren't always obvious to everyone! But yes, the camper clears (barely) but thats because I had them shorten it to fit, and I do have a rubber bed mat from the old bed. I was thinking stops might be a good idea... maybe something that goes into the stake pockets? Never seen it done though. Good feedback!