cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Newbie Frig Questions

mikemc53
Explorer II
Explorer II
These questions will be coming often and will be pretty basic and maybe even a little...unsmart.

This group of questions will involve the refrigerator and how to use it (power options, etc). We are getting a Rockwood 8329ss, which is on order. We haven't rv'd in years so I am sure that things have changed somewhat, technology wise.

Do most of you load the frig prior to leaving? If so, what powers it originally, is it the TV battery? If you do an overnight quick stop at a rest area or someplace (WalMart) that is not a real campsite do you run off propane or TT battery?

What does one need to do to change over from battery to propane as far as running the frig goes? And what about when you go to shore power - do you have to do anything to the frig to change it from propane to electric?

Probably very rudimentary questions but I am clueless. And, as I said, there will be plenty more of these to come in the near future.

Thanks gang.
2021 Gulf Stream Conquest 6250 (Class C)
11 REPLIES 11

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would like to restate an obvious truth that some people have missed. In today's trailers you CANNOT "run it" on the battery. Sorry folks but it just doesn't work.

And, as far as those who don't want to use up their propane I think they are missing a big point. The fridge uses what is equivalent to a pilot light when in propane mode. If you want to save propane, don't use your furnace or hot water heater. These really eat up the propane, not so much with the fridge.

You are going to love your new trailer. Set the thing to automatic and don't worry. If you are plugged in it will change over. Once you unplug it will turn back to propane. I hit a button and the furnace comes on, I hit another button and the hot water comes on, the fridge runs all by itself. It is magic I tell you.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

Steve_B_
Explorer
Explorer
I plug in the trailer in a couple of days before I leave and get the fridge cold. I run it on battery while traveling. I freeze a couple of water bottles and include them in the fridge contents to help out while on the road, and if I need water in the car I grab one when I stop. Another fridge tip that works well for me: I purchased a few of those plastic mini-bins at the dollar store. I pack everything from the home fridge that I'm taking in those and then transfer them to the fridge. They also help keep things in place in the fridge while traveling. I use gas when I'm boondocking.
2000 Twister by Fifties Trailers,
2017 Honda Ridgeline
2003 Miniature Schnauzer, Meyer

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
When you get your new trailer............READ ALL the manuals/pamphlets/brochures/information sheets etc.

Should be operating instructions for ALL appliances.....water heater, furnace, fridge, A/C Unit, converter, water pump....generic info on trailer etc.

Sit down inside trailer one afternoon READ and then go thru steps.

Also.....when you pick up your trailer and do the 'walk thru' Take notes/videos and ASK lots of questions.....make them show/explain. AGAIN if necessary.
It's your one chance to be shown.use it

The biggest advice concerning fridge........

LEVEL whenever operating fridge......even for 15 minutes.
OFF-LEVEL operation will KILL it faster than any other misuse.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

danimal53
Explorer
Explorer
Just got a new Coachmen Clipper, and the fridge has Auto mode, which uses shore power as the first option, and auto switches to propane when TT isn't plugged in. It does not run off battery at all. The only things working off the battery are lights, radio, and CO/propane safety detectors, and break-away switch. Fridge, AC, microwave, only work w/ shore power.

Haven't gone camping yet but will be taking others advice, pre-chill the fridge overnight ahead of time, put frozen/chilled foods in for the drive.

Great tip on lowering the temp while traveling on propane to preserve, will probably try that as well.
2010 Jeep Liberty Sport 4x4
2016 Coachman Clipper 17BH

JAYHAWKERS
Explorer
Explorer
We found the best thing to do is start it on propane and do not open the freezer or refrigerator door for six hours. Then load your freezer and refrigerator with pre frozen or chilled items and press the auto button on the eyebrow control panel of the refrigerator. We were loading it before it cooled down and it would never get cool, just the freezer part would freeze. Then we had a big storm move through the area and power was out for 5 or 6 hours in the entire state park. Low and behold our refrigerator worked like it was suppose to! Lesson learned.

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
Wishbone51 wrote:
Try to only load cold food in the fridge. RV fridges are good for keeping food cold, not cooling them down. DW once put in an entire freezer load of room temp bottled water, and the whole fridge warmed up and wouldn't cool. Recovered once we removed them.

Another time the kids put a box of Otter Pops in the freezer, and it took two weeks to freeze.

I've never noticed this. I can put a 12 pack of room temp soda in the fridge and it cools nicely.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
Try to only load cold food in the fridge. RV fridges are good for keeping food cold, not cooling them down. DW once put in an entire freezer load of room temp bottled water, and the whole fridge warmed up and wouldn't cool. Recovered once we removed them.

Another time the kids put a box of Otter Pops in the freezer, and it took two weeks to freeze.
2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
SALEM1 wrote:
Most RV refrigerators today are powered by propane and 120v. They all use 12v for the electronics.

You normally will turn your fridge the day before your trip on propane or 120v to get it cold. You will keep it running on propane during your trip and any stops where no facilities are available. When set on automatic, the fridge will always operate on propane when 120v is not available. You can always make it propane only manually if needed.

Happy camping!:)

This is exactly what we do. I plug the rig in a couple of days before we leave and take my time loading. I keep the fridge on "4" (5 is the coldest). When we leave, the fridge which is set on auto, clicks over to propane. While driving I keep the fridge on "2" to conserve propane if possible. I've never had ice melt or anything get warm. When we hook back up at the rv park, set it back to 4.

SALEM1
Explorer
Explorer
Most RV refrigerators today are powered by propane and 120v. They all use 12v for the electronics.

You normally will turn your fridge the day before your trip on propane or 120v to get it cold. You will keep it running on propane during your trip and any stops where no facilities are available. When set on automatic, the fridge will always operate on propane when 120v is not available. You can always make it propane only manually if needed.

Happy camping!:)
2015 Forest River Salem 27RLSS
2004 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Hemi

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
RV refers now days will always require 12VDV from the house battery as control voltage. In addition it will need either 120VAC or propane for cooling. Most newer absorbition refers will automatically switch between the two sources choosing the most ecomonical.
You really need a house battery installed in your trailer. It will also supply power for your trailers brakes in case of seperation from the tow vehicle. Generally speaking most people turn on their refer 24 hours prior to loading with perishable food.

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Most of todays refrigs are automatic and will run on 110 volts when available and switch automatically to propane when unpluged fron 110 voltage . Although your refer requires 12 volts for control funtions most do not " run " on your 12 volt tt battery . You should pre-cool your refer and your food before departing if possible !