Explorer
Explorer
Cummins in a Nissan for 2016. Nissanusa.com/truck
49 REPLIES 49

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
fx2tom wrote:
Nissan had them out in Southern CA this weekend so me and the little guy went and looked at them and I will say that, in person, I was drooling. The interior is very very nice and the outside actually looks pretty good. I told DW that I'd be seriously considering a new truck when this things hits it's second or third model year and all of the kinks are worked out.

Did you get a good look inside?
Was there a Exhaust Brake knob or switch?
Haven't seen anything in the press about Nissan using the Cummins 5L exhaust brake so was wondering ...
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

fx2tom
Explorer
Explorer
Nissan had them out in Southern CA this weekend so me and the little guy went and looked at them and I will say that, in person, I was drooling. The interior is very very nice and the outside actually looks pretty good. I told DW that I'd be seriously considering a new truck when this things hits it's second or third model year and all of the kinks are worked out.
2002 Ford F250 Lariat 7.3l 4x4 CCSB
2007 Forest River Sierra Sport M-26FBSP

spud1957
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Need 3500 payload to really fit the niche. Otherwise F150 8200 gvwr covers it better IMHO.

I think Nissan undersized the first Titan rear axle also.

The F150 HD Payload package for 2015 is now 7850 GVWR.
2018 F350 6.7 4x4 CCSB
2022 GD Reflection 337 RLS

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
jus2shy wrote:
Same aisin as in the ram. As69rc, overkill really.

So this thing has a engine and transmission both designed for medium duty commercial truck usage and a 13 inch rear axle. We know that Nissan has suspension and running gear in their parts bin capable of supporting a 10Kish GVWR truck in their NV3500 van. Maybe this thing is really a 2500 series-spec truck, but they are not marketing it as such because it has considerably less hp and torque than the big 3 diesels.

The 13" ring gear is likely a mis-print. A dually Ram 3500 only runs 11.75".

13" is well into 450/4500 territory.

RoyJ
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
Need 3500 payload to really fit the niche. Otherwise F150 8200 gvwr covers it better IMHO.

I think Nissan undersized the first Titan rear axle also.

3500!? That's beyond the abilities of most true 3/4 ton crew cab diesels. Ram couldn't attain those numbers till they went to coil rears, 11.5 axle, and 50ksi frame...

This truck is a direct competitor to the 8200 F150 that you mentioned. Neither of which comes near 3500 lbs payload in the crew cab configuration.

In fact, I bet the crew cab, 6.5' bed F150 is pretty much bang-on with this Titan's payload, and that's before factoring in the heavier diesel.

wuhungsix
Explorer
Explorer
I had a first gen Titan (first truck ever). I was ignorant and I loved that truck to death. Still miss it. Even through its issues mostly squeaky cheap interior and constantly failing rear axle seals.

I'm new proud fan of Cummins engines as I now have a 1-ton 6.7 Cummins SRW. I was secretly hoping for a great looking 2nd gen Titan to carry the 5L Cummins. But man that thing is hideous! I always liked the Tundra aesthetics and hope they can put a better face on this powertrain.

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Looks like the Nissan/cummins will have 310hp and 555ft/lbs of torque.

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
The only concern I have (and couldn't post earlier because I hate typing on a mobile phone) is that Freakin Bosch HPFP. But if it's all that Bosch offers to achieve the injection pressures needed, that's all you can go with. Hopefully Bosch has made updates to the pump. Haven't read about any failures with 2015+ trucks from Ford, which is the only company to have publicized updates to the pump with the 2nd gen Scorpion motor. I know that Delphi makes a HPFP similar to the Bosch unit with some improvement to fix some of the engineering concerns. What I really wish is for Cummins to use the HPFP that they utilize on their ISL's and up. It's for their XPI fuel injection systems and can run from 30k to 39k psi. More than enough for the needs of the ISB and ISV... Oh well.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
It might be quite the truck, but the 6 lug axles make me doubt any stealthy payload capacity. Can't wait to learn more about that potential weak link. Otherwise this is VERY intriguing. Like others, I'm not totally sold on the looks, but it's a major step forward from the old one.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
This is going to be a well built truck.

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
jus2shy wrote:

So this thing has a engine and transmission both designed for medium duty commercial truck usage and a 13 inch rear axle. We know that Nissan has suspension and running gear in their parts bin capable of supporting a 10Kish GVWR truck in their NV3500 van. Maybe this thing is really a 2500 series-spec truck, but they are not marketing it as such because it has considerably less hp and torque than the big 3 diesels.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
fx2tom wrote:
6 speed Aisin I think it should be alright

Depends which model they use. Aisin transmissions are found in a huge variety of vehicles. Hopefully Nissan will use a model that is up to the task.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
smkettner wrote:
13" ring gear and 2000 pound payload? I think Nissan is missing the mark here.

Agree.
13" ring gear *and* the Aisin tranny.
More than enough for 5L Cummins torque.
14" disk brakes.

(But it is still a semi-floating axle with 6 lug wheels.)

Maybe this will be one of those trucks where you can ignore the manufacturer's payload (GVWR), add some air bags and go by GAWR instead? Curious what the rGAWR and rear axle curb weight will be.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Just read at Motor Trend on line that they are quoting 2000 pounds payload for the XD.