cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oil extractor

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm considering buying a vacuum oil extractor for my oil changes. Does anyone have any experience with these devices? Pros, cons?

Thanks,

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
16 REPLIES 16

GoPackGo
Explorer
Explorer
fj12ryder wrote:
6.7 tow rig wrote:
This is much better and just as clean.
Yessir! I have those on all my vehicles except my motorcycles. Sure makes changing the oil a snap, and also collecting samples for Blackstone Labs.

Fumoto valve. Yes, I had one on my Duramax. If you get the 'nipple' version, just attach a clear tube routed into a drain pan, turn the valve, and go relax somewhere for a while. Makes life easy when you need to drain 10-15 qts. Gets rid of that big initial splash. NO mess at all. I used to slide a plastic zip tie onto the valve so the arm could not accidently move to the 'drain' position.

But like some else said, I always have a bigger mess changing the filter.

Tim

SKG
Explorer
Explorer
I use one on my 3.0 MB diesel and it works very good. The jeep as too much******to remove I order to get at the plug plus the oil filter is top mounted. It removes 100% of the oil. I have the Mytivac but it doesn't work on my 6.2 GM v8 in my Denali. I put the drain valves on my Yukon and Cummins.
The MB dealers suck out most of their cars through the dip stick.
2014 Silverback 37BH
2014 Ram Crew Cab 3.42 gears 370hp, 800tq

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
6.7 tow rig wrote:
Yessir! I have those on all my vehicles except my motorcycles. Sure makes changing the oil a snap, and also collecting samples for Blackstone Labs.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, when the oil filter is accessible from under the hood it sure is nice! My son's Saturn is like that.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jfkmk wrote:
I'm not sure how much you'd gain by doing an oil change like this. You have to crawl under the vehicle to replace the filter anyway. In my experience the filter is a messier job than draining the oil.

Well on my Cummins I change the filter from under the hood, much easier.

It takes long enough to drain out the 3/4" hole in the pan, can imagine how long it would take to pump out 3 gallons!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Used one on a Mercedes convertible my wife had and it was kind of a PITA. Took FOR EVER to get the oil out.... and yes it was warmed up. There only so much fluid that can move through something the diameter of a cocktail straw.

I'd never do it again if I had access to the drain plug.

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use this Liqui-Vac on all my small engines, snowblower, power washer, etc, where the drain plug is not very accessible. Not sure I would use it on a vehicle, as was noted, you need to get under there and change the filter anyway.

6_7_tow_rig
Explorer
Explorer
2018 Dodge Ram 2500 Laramie Cummins 4x4
2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318bhs

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
eHoefler wrote:
John & Angela wrote:
If you own a smart car, or at least a diesel, it's the only way to change the oil. Quick, easy and clean. The oil only gets changed once every 10K anyway but it makes for quick changes. There is no drain plug.

If that in deed is the case, it is designed to have the oil removed that way.

Exactly works quite well.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
John & Angela wrote:
If you own a smart car, or at least a diesel, it's the only way to change the oil. Quick, easy and clean. The oil only gets changed once every 10K anyway but it makes for quick changes. There is no drain plug.

If that in deed is the case, it is designed to have the oil removed that way.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boat engines are plumbed and designed to have the oil removed by some kind of pump or extractor. The dip stick is mounted to the oil pan at the drain location with a Banjo bolt. This enables the removal of anything that settles to the bottom of the pan. In a car or truck, the dipstick tube does not go to the bottom of the pan, and most are attached going through the block, several inches above the bottom of the pan. By using the extractor method in a car or truck, you will not be able to remove all the oil or any debris that has settled to the bottom.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure how much you'd gain by doing an oil change like this. You have to crawl under the vehicle to replace the filter anyway. In my experience the filter is a messier job than draining the oil.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
I used one for decades on my boats ,like previously stated oil must be hot because the hose is tiny.
Would never seriously consider using one if a drain plug was excessable
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-