cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ordering F-350 7.3 CCLB SRW - how big of camper can I get?

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I want to order a single rear wheel 1 ton truck for the primary purpose of truck camping with our 2 year old boy - and we hope we can have a second living child. We are looking to use it for both weekend and longer trips. We live in Northern Canada and the truck will be our second vehicle when the camper is not being used (we will probably leave the camper on over summer and off in the winter except if we drive south). Only one of us will commute which means it's not an everyday car to drive. We would like to stick to single rear wheel based on our conversations. We have never owned a truck before.

Here is the build I have made to try to get max payload with 11,900 GVWR which I think will be above 4,400lbs:

F-350 SuperCrew 4x4 8โ€™ bed Lariat with the following options:
-7.3L gas
-4.30 gears
-Lariat UItimate Package
-Snow Plow / Camper Package
-Skid Plates - Transfer Case and Fuel Tank
-400 Amp dual alternator w/ dual batteries
-LED Roof Clearance Lights

We'd like as much space as possible in a truck camper for a decent used price given the small child and desire to have another. I found a 2010 Lance 950S with a dry weight of 3120lbs. It seems pretty ideal, another option would be an Adventurer 901SB or a used Wolf Creek.

What weight camper could I get with this build? Any advice? Thank you.
99 REPLIES 99

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
StirCrazy wrote:
are we talking about the original three campers still, wow this thread got derailed by the weight police... I have 4000 lbs of payload available (measured at a scale) and I would have no issue with any one of thoes campers. since they will all be under the OP's payload of 4400 I don't see why this went 4 pages... and how it went from everyone saying ya to the differences about SRW and DRW, maybe this thread should be moved into the tow vehicles section...

There aren't really any actual campers in play. OP was using examples of what he saw locally that might fit the bill.
Nothing got de-railed, unlike usual. Just the typical bantering about sticker followers vs real world capabilities.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

BeMurda
Explorer
Explorer
Update: after much discussion, my wife vetoed dually after I brought one home and parked it on our driveway. Now I am looking at SRW long vs short box. I know long box has bigger gas tank and more camper options, but some campers in the lower weight ranges are built specifically for short box. I lean long box but I need to think further and decide.

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
are we talking about the original three campers still, wow this thread got derailed by the weight police... I have 4000 lbs of payload available (measured at a scale) and I would have no issue with any one of thoes campers. since they will all be under the OP's payload of 4400 I don't see why this went 4 pages... and how it went from everyone saying ya to the differences about SRW and DRW, maybe this thread should be moved into the tow vehicles section...
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
3 tons wrote:
Please disregard, upon re-read, me confusion at playโ€ฆ

3 tons

You've been around long enough, benefit of the doubt went to you.

Cheers, lol, nothing like being human
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Please disregard, upon re-read, me confusion at playโ€ฆ

3 tons

Reality_Check
Nomad II
Nomad II
jimh406 wrote:
3 tons wrote:
Well, per my recollection thatโ€™s kinda funny - kinda like the pot calling the kettle black - lol!

Please explain.

Yea, there's a joke there somewhere.. I'm not catching on
'16 F550 CC, 4x4 with Link Ultraride air suspension, '18 AF 1150. Just so we can play with our snowmobiles, dirt bikes and fishing boat. And new 20' tag along...kayaks, bikes, mc's and extra water and food!!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
3 tons wrote:
Well, per my recollection thatโ€™s kinda funny - kinda like the pot calling the kettle black - lol!

Please explain.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
Somehow these sorts of discussions seem to relate to differences of opinion. I see it more as a matter of math. If you start with a 3000# camper, addons can take the camper to over 4000#. For most SRW that will push the ccc and can overload the rear tires. I guess that can be a matter of opinion. Some people may not have an issue exceeding tire capacity by 10 or 20%.

That roughly 1000# a dealer would call "personal" items can vary a lot depending on how the camper is used. It can also vary based on the specs from the manufacturer. The base specs from my vendor did not include solar, several hundred pounds for an "extended" cab, and it also left off the weight of accessories such as the microwave and awnings.

When sizing the truck it is important to determine the loaded, wet weight for camping. If the use is traveling 20 miles to a lake for the weekend needs will be different than traveling longer distances for extended periods. Either way it is easy to grossly underestimate weights. Food is heavy so are lawn chairs, tables, BBQ grill, generator, tools, a tire inflator, Torqlift brackets and tiedowns. Even an upgraded foam mattress can add 100#. I am also amazed that many RVers somehow forget to add a few hundred more pounds for the weight of the driver and passengers.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:
kirkl wrote:
Glad I didnt check on this site before I bought my camper, I :B:Bwould of had to updrade to a DRW to haul my 1725lb dry camper on my ram 2500 lol

Let's be real, OP is asking about a TC double the weight of yours. Still, most people are giving pros and cons.

Try starting a thread and find out if people tell you that you need a DRW. My guess is nobody will suggest it.

3 tons

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
kirkl wrote:
Glad I didnt check on this site before I bought my camper, I would of had to updrade to a DRW to haul my 1725lb dry camper on my ram 2500 lol

Let's be real, OP is asking about a TC double the weight of yours. Still, most people are giving pros and cons.

Try starting a thread and find out if people tell you that you need a DRW. My guess is nobody will suggest it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:

No you donโ€™t โ€œwonderโ€, you know. But we all know youโ€™re a professional driver. That makes a difference.

I bought my first pickup right after my Grandad bought his new '63 Ford car. He told me that he would need his pickup more because he would not abuse the new car like he had been using his '50 Ford 4 door. In the years sense, if I had 1 four-wheeled vehicle, it was likely a pickup. So, in fact I can't know which, the long or wide, will give somebody in there first pickup the most trouble.

The other fact is, the majority of the time itโ€™s not hauling a camper, there will be snow.

But itโ€™s always a compromise. Have a truck thatโ€™s better for hauling a large camper and have a truck thatโ€™s worse at other things the rest of the time, or vice versa.

I bought a new '71 F350 DW. Back then, and for a some time after, most people had 6 tires for their car. (Most pickup owners only had 5. In the spring we renamed our snow tires "mud grips"
As soon as it started to snow, my drivers where instructed to come by house, and change the duals for a pair of tires mounted on wheels off a 3/4 ton, that did not have the off-set. With the weight of the Holmes bed, likely to be overloaded. Know would be when picked up end of car, but rarely needed to hang chains. And if did much more room.
For me, if the road was going to be snow covered for much of winter, and I might need to drive a MT pickup that would be cheap and EZ fix.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JimK-NY wrote:
kirkl wrote:
Glad I didnt check on this site before I bought my camper, I would of had to updrade to a DRW to haul my 1725lb dry camper on my ram 2500 lol

I guess this is supposed to be funny? Otherwise that weight of camper fully loaded should be well within cargo capacity for almost any 2500.

Not even close to within โ€œratedโ€ capacity. Heck you were the first to post the โ€œadd 1000lbsโ€ post in this thread.
Now my 1986 GMC 3/4 ton actually isโ€ฆ..which is evidence of how absolutely silly most all newer payload ratings are, especially considering many donโ€™t understand why that is the case. 14 bolt semi floater, 3 speed trans, a whopping 180hp if it still had the original engine in it and a c channel frame that basically the same as the half tons of the same era.
It does have some big ole boot stompin drum brakes in back though. That is an upgrade when it comes to stopping power.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

kirkl
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
kirkl wrote:

I guess this is supposed to be funny? Otherwise that weight of camper fully loaded should be well within cargo capacity for almost any 2500.

Not when my payload is 2000 I think.
2017 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 4x4 LB
2018 Wildcat Maxx 28RKX
2014 Adventurer 80RB

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
kirkl wrote:

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
kirkl wrote:

:B
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides