cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Outside stereo

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2012 Dutchmen Bunkhouse that has an outside stereo.
The stereo is broken...that is the light is on as if it is turned on but nothing is displayd on the screen, and it does not work.

It has been out of service more than it has worked right.
Where do I start with this to fix it or at least disconnect it?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance
33 REPLIES 33

APT
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
I don't use the cheap sounding outdoor speakers that came mounted on the TT. I prefer a good portable Wireless Bluetooth speaker and my smartphone.

This is what I did as well. That is much more versatile and better sounding for $20-300 than anything that came with your TT. IT doe not provide a solution for AM/FM, though. I have this speaker for about a year and use it almost every day. I may pick up a little better one, like the Creative Labs Roar
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
The stereo in my last TT crapped out on me. And short of ripping apart the TT to get to the wiring and head unit, I could not fix the problem. It did not have outside speakers, though.

For those two reasons alone, I upgraded to a new TT.

Well, also for the extra 4' length. And the slideout. And couch. Oh, and the power awning. And maybe for the electric water heater too. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
mikeflys wrote:
My Dutchman has one very similar to the round one in the pictures posted. Last season I thought it was dead as well. Turns out that this little sucker is directly wired to the batteries. Does not seem to work off of land power. I was having issues with my batteries, replaced them for a fresh start this season and now the outside stereo works great! And yes be considerate of others when you camp and play music. But when camping on privet land with no one around....crank it to 11!
Thank You! I Will have to test that out. I keep my trailer plugged in so that might play into it.

bcarroll
Explorer
Explorer
BurbMan wrote:
Is is one of these?

If so, the manufacturer is Prospec Electronics and they have a series of troubleshooting videos on their website.

I would see how to unmount it, or get behind it through a cabinet if you can, and make sure a wire didn't come loose. Assuming good connections, try various inputs, if nothing then it's done and needs to be replaced, they aren't repairable.

FWIW, I love these threads on outdoor music, as soon as you mention it everyone immediately assumes it's the guy camped next to them. I added a Kenwood 200w power amp to my PolyPlanar outdoor marine speakers, it cranks up loud enough now to entertain an entire CG. However, I don't use those speakers at a CG, they are for boondocking use.
Yes! the top one is the same shape but the color and buttons vary.. Thanks!

Slate_CM
Explorer
Explorer
alenk wrote:
Here's how I fixed the light: My light was a constant battery drain. It was on my inside stereo. A Jensen. I took the four screws out of the front of the radio, and removed it. Inside, I found a small fuse going directly to the light on the front. When I removed the fuse, the light went out, but the radio ceased to work. So I cut one of the wires, and drilled a small hole in the wall next to the stereo, and mounted a small toggle switch. When we wanted to listen to the stereo, we flipped the switch on, and then turned on the stereo.
Worked for me...

Mine came with a Jensen too, and the light was on all the time. I found a menu of options that would adjust the brightness and even turn off the light. The LCD display still works, just can't see it in the dark.

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Bucky Badger wrote:

Lets not forget that a lot of campers have surround sound with sub-woofers now:S

Were Citizen Kane made today it would have Orson Welles outrunning an explosion.

The magnetic multi track sound of old 70mm epics like South Pacific, Ben Hur, My Fair Lady, Spartacus, Lawrence of Arabia, West Side Story etc. sounded SO much better than bombastic modern digital movie sound.

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
Here's how I fixed the light: My light was a constant battery drain. It was on my inside stereo. A Jensen. I took the four screws out of the front of the radio, and removed it. Inside, I found a small fuse going directly to the light on the front. When I removed the fuse, the light went out, but the radio ceased to work. So I cut one of the wires, and drilled a small hole in the wall next to the stereo, and mounted a small toggle switch. When we wanted to listen to the stereo, we flipped the switch on, and then turned on the stereo.
Worked for me...

penguin747
Explorer
Explorer
Hope you figure it out. I have looked for different ways to mod my camper to add one just to listen to games. Sure wouldn't want to disturb neighbors with their big screen TV and all that I see. Enjoy it. You paid for the site

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
I'd look inside the TT to see if there are drawers you can remove and get access to the back of that unit. You might find an in-line fuse that would kill the light.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

mikeflys
Explorer
Explorer
My Dutchman has one very similar to the round one in the pictures posted. Last season I thought it was dead as well. Turns out that this little sucker is directly wired to the batteries. Does not seem to work off of land power. I was having issues with my batteries, replaced them for a fresh start this season and now the outside stereo works great! And yes be considerate of others when you camp and play music. But when camping on privet land with no one around....crank it to 11!

Kittykath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Whatever annoying little light that can't be turned off inside or outside our camper, gets a little piece of electrical tape on it.

Mr__Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, my better half has just reminded me of a time almost 20 years ago I brought outside my portable player. I'm an avid collector of Doo Wop music and played it just loud enough for me sitting in my chair next to the table to hear it. I had one camper behind me and nobody across or in front of me. The guy behind me was walking past us towards the office when he stopped and asked if the song playing was really "Heart of Soul" by The Harptones. It was and I apologized if it was disturbing him. He said it wasn't and asked if he could bring a chair over after he returned and sit and listen. I told him of course. When he came back 15 minutes later he brought about 7 others, including the park owner/manager. Long story short the rec room was unavailable that night but free the next. We held a 3 hr Doo Wop party the next night and it was terrific. I haven't done that again because it could easily have gone the other way.
Mr. Camper
Mrs. Camper
Fuzzy Kids = Tipper(RIP), PoLar(RIP), Ginger, Pasha
2013 Open Range Light; 274ORLS
2004 Dodge Ram Turbo Diesel
Retired and love spending the kid's inheritance

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer

Ironically, the night before (before these families showed up), I could hear someone quite a distance away playing the guitar and singing songs. That was pretty entertaining, except they must not have known the whole songs, because they never finished them. LOL

That reminds me of the time we were staying at a campground in TN. The campground is on the site where civil war soldiers once had an encampment. Late one evening while sitting outside we could hear instrumental civil war music coming from the rehearsal from nearby campers who must have been in town for a reenactment or meet-up. Anyway, it was beautiful and kinda spooky to be in that place and hear these sounds.
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is is one of these?

If so, the manufacturer is Prospec Electronics and they have a series of troubleshooting videos on their website.

I would see how to unmount it, or get behind it through a cabinet if you can, and make sure a wire didn't come loose. Assuming good connections, try various inputs, if nothing then it's done and needs to be replaced, they aren't repairable.

FWIW, I love these threads on outdoor music, as soon as you mention it everyone immediately assumes it's the guy camped next to them. I added a Kenwood 200w power amp to my PolyPlanar outdoor marine speakers, it cranks up loud enough now to entertain an entire CG. However, I don't use those speakers at a CG, they are for boondocking use.