cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Picked up a new tow vehicle!

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
I just traded in my '14 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel for a '16 Ram 2500 CTD. Among other things it has the 5w tow prep, which was a must have for me. I started out looking for a TT I could pull with my EcoD, but when I realized how meager the tow capacity was, I realized I needed something bigger. The ride is great, really not much rougher than my 1500. I did give up a few interior accoutrements with the Tradesman trim, but I can dip into the Ram parts bin and add pretty much anything I want.

My plan is to rent from MWR at Ft Bragg for a year or so before we start looking for a new 5w to recover from the truck purchase. ๐Ÿ™‚

Out with the old and in with the new.

Brett
'17 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71
2001 Coleman tent :B
20 REPLIES 20

Big1
Explorer II
Explorer II
romore wrote:
:B Sweet. That beast should pull anything you need to move.

Congrats! I have the same truck and even have the same color but my is 2500 6.4L.
2022 Ram Laramie 3500 6.7L CTD CCLB
2019 Jayco Eagle 321RSTS

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
VernDiesel wrote:
Congrats. Love my EcoDiesel but if I was going to do a 5er I would get the bigger truck also. I rode in a 2500 diesel with the new suspension the other day and they are a lot better than the old stick and slide leaf spring trucks. Like the ED to load heavy they either need the air ride or air assist for the coil spring but what a great combo. From the fuelies I have seen where people had both the difference was 8 mpg in mixed driving. Less when towing. Different trucks for different markets. Sometimes you need a claw hammer sometimes you need a sledge hammer. Best always depends on the job you need done. Since somebody mentioned it Red kind of has become a rare color the last few years.

I'm honestly only seeing a 2-3 mpg difference. I was getting 20-21 mixed rural driving, and now I'm seeing 17-18. It's a trade off that will be well worth it in the end.

MFL wrote:
Slownsy wrote:
Red is defnetly faster.
Frank

You are correct Frank! The LEOs watch the red ones closer, and the red ones are high on the ticket receiving list.:W

Jerry

I have a "get out of jail free card," my wife is a Police Officer.:B
Brett

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Slownsy wrote:
Red is defnetly faster.
Frank

You are correct Frank! The LEOs watch the red ones closer, and the red ones are high on the ticket receiving list.:W

Jerry

Slownsy
Explorer
Explorer
Red is defnetly faster.
Frank
Frank
2012 F250 XLT
4x4 Super Cab
8' Tray 6.2lt, 3.7 Diff.

Deep_Trax
Explorer
Explorer
APT wrote:
Congrats, but I suspect you'll have the same problem with 3/4 ton diesel and 5er as half ton and TT!

I'm guessing you mean that the payload capability of the 2500 will significantly limit the 5er selection. I've learned the hard (expensive) way that a 3500 series truck is a much better choice for the majority of the 5er's on the market.

ivbinconned
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've heard it said that when older men start driving bright RED trucks their testosterone levels increase??
Ram and 34 ft Cedar Creek

VernDiesel
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats. Love my EcoDiesel but if I was going to do a 5er I would get the bigger truck also. I rode in a 2500 diesel with the new suspension the other day and they are a lot better than the old stick and slide leaf spring trucks. Like the ED to load heavy they either need the air ride or air assist for the coil spring but what a great combo. From the fuelies I have seen where people had both the difference was 8 mpg in mixed driving. Less when towing. Different trucks for different markets. Sometimes you need a claw hammer sometimes you need a sledge hammer. Best always depends on the job you need done. Since somebody mentioned it Red kind of has become a rare color the last few years.
Transportr TT & boats RAM EconoDiesel Factory TBC, Tow mirrors, Hitch camera, Axle to frame air bags, Tune w turbo brake, Max tow 9,200 CGAR 7,800 CVWR 15,950 axle weights 3,340 steer 2,260 drive Truck pushed head gasket at 371k has original trans at 500k

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
APT wrote:
Congrats, but I suspect you'll have the same problem with 3/4 ton diesel and 5er as half ton and TT!

I don't. Only problem he'lol encounter now is not being able to wipe the grin off his face!

Agree. These trucks are amazing towing a fifth wheel. Really they're amazing towing anything, it just happens that fifth wheels tow particularly nicely.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Nice truck and a very rare color
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
APT wrote:

I don't. Only problem he'lol encounter now is not being able to wipe the grin off his face!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GA1dad
Explorer
Explorer
That's one good looking rig,, congrats!!!

APT
Explorer
Explorer
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I got a Tradesman too and it has plenty of amenities for me. When it's time for new tires I'll spring for some decent wheels but otherwise I'm happy. I took all the badges off other than the C and love the clean look.

The truck itself is great and pulls our fifth wheel effortlessly, including both up and down big grades. I did add timbrens and I like the way it settled the ride down on the highway while towing. They weren't necessary and the truck doesn't squat any less with them, but it handles bumps at speed better now. Not a dramatic difference but worth the $200.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Askibum02
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
Congrats on the new purchase. It will be apples and oranges, but it would be interesting to hear the difference in MPG.

I am sure the new ride will treat you well.

The truck was driven from Indiana to NC and the EVIC display says 18.9mpg average. That's not bad for such a big truck/motor.
Brett