Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about air conditioning

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
Hi everyone!

I have a 30ft TT (about a month old) with a 13500 rooftop air conditioner. I am noticing that if it is humid outside the air conditioning doesn't seem to work very well. Is this normal for this type of air conditioner, or do I have a problem that needs to be addressed.
Thanks
21 REPLIES 21

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
TomG2 wrote:
Remember that

air conditioners do their best job of dehumidifying

when they are running. Oversizing can results in cool damp air in the trailer as it cycles off more often. A couple of other tips: Cover the floor vents with carpet or magnetic covers. Cool air falls. Get a fan. Even 80 degree air feels cool in a breeze.

When I am in Florida I add a small portable dehumidifier per advice from the local mobile repair guy there.

You will be 'amazed' how much colder your RV will be if you add the dehumidifier to help the ac do it's job. And twice as amazed when you see how much water it takes out of your RV that your ac is unable to do by itself!. Henceforth a much cooler RV!:W

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm curious what is the brand name of the Air Conditioner ?

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Remember that air conditioners do their best job of dehumidifying when they are running. Oversizing can results in cool damp air in the trailer as it cycles off more often. A couple of other tips: Cover the floor vents with carpet or magnetic covers. Cool air falls. Get a fan. Even 80 degree air feels cool in a breeze.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Bayoubass wrote:
As for keeping the coils clean ( a must for your unit to work its best)just buy a can of coil cleaner at Lowes for a few bucks and spray them every few months to be on the safe side. Easy to do and not messy.......

Never heard of that product!
Could you post the name of it? Tks.

Bayoubass
Explorer
Explorer
As for keeping the coils clean ( a must for your unit to work its best)just buy a can of coil cleaner at Lowes for a few bucks and spray them every few months to be on the safe side. Easy to do and not messy.......

Major_Dad
Explorer
Explorer
AJR wrote:
I have never camped in West Texas. But a 13500 BTU unit on a 30โ€™ TT sounds light to me. If the unit has ducted AC you could try opening the ceiling vents on the AC unit for a rapid start of the cooling process. Once the area under the AC unit is cool you can close those vents to reduce noise.

We had a 29' TT and spent 7 summers out west. Even the 15K unit could not keep up in West Texas/southern NM. Our first night on the road from San Antonio to Balmorhea SP was nearly always miserably hot inside the trailer. Our new trailer (33.5') has much better insulation and 2 a/c units, and we no longer have that problem.
2017 Thor Compass 23TR last RV
MV-1 Mobility ventures wheelchair van
DH+DW 36+ years
Millie the fawn brindle greyhound

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have never camped in West Texas. But a 13500 BTU unit on a 30โ€™ TT sounds light to me. If the unit has ducted AC you could try opening the ceiling vents on the AC unit for a rapid start of the cooling process. Once the area under the AC unit is cool you can close those vents to reduce noise.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
dvitale300 wrote:
rockhillmanor wrote:
Check the coils. They most likely need cleaning. Makes a big difference when they are cleaned.

Even on a brand new trailer 2 months old?

Depends where you are parked.
I RV'd only in the midwest. When I headed south with all the humidity, green mold and pollen, yes within a couple months my coils where covered.

I sure didn't know anything about this either until the ac couldn't keep up and RV mobile repair showed me. Just thought I'd share my experience.

How you find out a simple repair for yours.

GaryWT
Explorer
Explorer
I find that in hot humid weather the first night is somewhat tough but I leave the AC set at about 64 so it will cool overnight and then hopefully it is cold enough to maintain a nice temp the next day.

As other have said, keep everything closed, there is enough air getting in each time you open the door.
ME '63, DW 64, (DS 89 tents on his own, DD 92 not so much), DS 95
2013 Premier Bullet 31 BHPR 2014 F350 Crew Cab 6.2L 3.73

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
itguy08 wrote:
Just curious - if running the A/C why any venting at all? That may be the majority of your issues - too much warm air coming in.

X3

Maybe a prior tent/popup owner, where you always open "something" if you don't want the condensation to rain on you.

Let the AC remove the condensation for you....crank it up & close the windows.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
If you've been driving and the air inside is substantially hotter, consider opening all the windows and hatches for a few minutes before turning the a/c on. On a 80 degree day, it might be 120 inside, so a quick flushing of the air will give a quick boost to the cooling process.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
itguy08 wrote:
Just curious - if running the A/C why any venting at all? That may be the majority of your issues - too much warm air coming in.

Exactly.

RV A/C Unit sucks up inside air..cools it and discharges the cool air back inside RV.

It can only cool the inside air by recirculating the already cooled air.

Opening a vent/window etc. just lets already cooled air out and hot moist air in.
Sorta like standing in front of fridge with door open and wondering why fridge isn't cooling down.

Set t-stat for 72*F
Turn A/C ON....Fan on Auto
Let it run
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

itguy08
Explorer
Explorer

dvitale300
Explorer
Explorer
rockhillmanor wrote:
Check the coils. They most likely need cleaning. Makes a big difference when they are cleaned.

Even on a brand new trailer 2 months old?