Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Question about mandated buy back of vehicles

sleepy
Explorer
Explorer
I was has asked...

a friend says that chips and some other modifications void warrenties.

He points out that Chrysler might not buy those vehicles back.... he seems to think that if they won't take back a vehicle that has a voided warrenty... and the VIN ##### says that it is on the hit list.... would the owner be stuck with a vehicle they can't sell, trade, or ???

Somebody on the forum will know...
2003 Lance 1161,/slideout/AGM batteries/255W Solar/propane generator/Sat dish/2 Fantastic Fans/AC/winter pkg
AirFoil, Trimetric, LED lights, Platcat vent heat

2003GMC K3500 LT/Crewcab/duramax diesel/allison/dually/4x4/OnStar/front reciever mounted spare
15 REPLIES 15

Bird_Freak
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do they really have a fix for the suspension problems or they just replacing with the same new parts. I know a couple of hot shot drivers have had their trucks front end already repaired several times and the same problem comes back.
I know when WH was having the brake problems they just replaced with new parts to hold until the real fix was available.
Makes me wonder what the guys that want a fix instead of a buy back may be getting into.
Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Recall as defined by PickuTrucks.com
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
One thing that I read is that the dealer won't reimburse you for any modifications made to the vehicle.

mooring_product
Explorer
Explorer
I already had one recall done on the steering. I'm waiting to see what happens. I would opt to get it fixed. I have modded the truck to my satisfaction and don't want to do it over again..
Pete
2012 RAM 3500 Mega DRW. Stable Loads and Torklift tiedowns.
2006 Lance 881 Max.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
and I bet after dodge fixes them, they resell them without that lifetime power train warranty they came with.

That has to really be costing FCA a couple bucks.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Ram pickups at the heart of this buyback settlement are 2008-2012 Ram 4x4 1500, 2500, 3500, 4500 and 5500 vehicles. FCA says more than 60 percent of the vehicles within that category have already been fixed, and under the agreement, it will be required to offer current owners of those qualified pickups a fair price (spelled out as the total after depreciation is subtracted from the purchase price). Other vehicles affected in this agreement include several Jeep and Dodge SUVs.

Those trucks and SUVs have โ€œdefective suspension parts that could cause the vehicle to lose control,โ€ according to NHTSA documents.

Interestingly, the buy back is up to the customer. The owner can decide to either take the cash or opt for a free fix of the problem. Also, FCA reserves the right to resell the vehicles after fixing the problem.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
There are going to be a lot rumors of war about the buyback. I'm going to let the dust settle on this to get to the fine print. Wait a minute! I'm not on the buyback list. 'Dodged' the bullet once again.
After hearing of all the terrible things that happen to my truck, I am obviously living a charmed life as only wear parts have worn. What a lucky guy. What could be the fallout from all this? If the buyback trucks CAN be fixed, why don't they just fix them and call it a day? If not, there will be a line of people waiting to get their hands on that Cummins.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Folks wrote:
Ductape wrote:
They pay depreciated value. Most modified vehicles are worth less than stock.

Many of the performance mods are not street legal. Owners don't have much leverage.

Expect to see a form to sign affirming the emissions systems have not been altered when you sell or trade it back.

The buyback is supposed to cover vehicles that cannot be fixed and made "road safe."

If that is the case the vehicle should never be on the road again so why would they worry about emissions? They certainly will not be putting them on the road. Would they? Just wondering.

The original story said that the vehicles they buy back can be fixed and re-sold.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dog Folks wrote:
Ductape wrote:

Many of the performance mods are not street legal. Owners don't have much leverage.

Expect to see a form to sign affirming the emissions systems have not been altered when you sell or trade it back.

The buyback is supposed to cover vehicles that cannot be fixed and made "road safe."

If that is the case the vehicle should never be on the road again so why would they worry about emissions? They certainly will not be putting them on the road. Would they? Just wondering.

That's my understanding of it. It's not a matter of what the vehicle is worth now - it's a matter of the vehicle purchased is not and cannot be made road safe. The buy back is a two-part thing: 1) to get the unsafe vehicles off the road; and 2) to provide monetary compensation to the buyers of those unsafe vehicles.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
Ductape wrote:

Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

Ductape
Explorer
Explorer

49 States, 6 Provinces, 2 Territories...

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
A recall/buy back is different from a warranty. Yes, modifications can void warranties. However, the buy back is different - the vehicles cannot be "fixed" to correct the problem, so it doesn't matter what you've done to it, the manufacturer has to buy it back because it is not road-safe.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
You will know when you get a notice. Im sure you can also check via vin number at any Ram dealer.

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
This may be off topic but how do we know if our vehicle is involved in this fiasco? Ours is a 2012 Ram 3500 DRW 4 x 4 .

Is everyone concerned or do you just go about life and not worry about it until they contact you? Will they contact us?

I'm confused.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7