cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ram 2500 Cummins the most fuel economical

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
Is the Ram 2500 Cummins the most fuel economical amongst 3/4 ton to one ton diesel pickup trucks?
22 REPLIES 22

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
doublenot7 wrote:
I get pretty good mileage on my 6.7L F250, max is up to 24.5mpg in city/highway combined. I'm pretty certain any of the major brands newer diesels can do just as good. I don't think the brand is what will determine your mileage but instead it is mostly the driver.

You're not going to find anything that has great mileage while towing.

Them is a big number. What is your city mileage? Hwy mileage and speed?
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

bigg-limo
Explorer
Explorer
Scooter86 wrote:
Sadly, you used to be able to get better fuel mileage and cheaper fuel from a diesel. The epa has pretty much ruined those days unless you can do an emissions delete and chip it. I have a '10 2500 Cummins combo. All stock. My best was 19mpg highway NY to NC. Towing 8k I am looking at more like 8 or 9mpg over the same run. A solid 1.5mpg over my previous 5.7hemi in a similar truck. By internet rumor I could probably upgrade mpg again with the 6.4 hemi.

All of which still leaves me curious about the new 5.0 Cummins about to be released. 310/550 is pretty close to what the big 3 were selling just about 8 years ago.

I'd bet the ratings will still be lower than what they were back then,...depending on what class truck the engine will be in.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
doublenot7 wrote:
I get pretty good mileage on my 6.7L F250, max is up to 24.5mpg in city/highway combined. I'm pretty certain any of the major brands newer diesels can do just as good. I don't think the brand is what will determine your mileage but instead it is mostly the driver.

Ur right it depends on the driver. I press lightly when it's traveling 75mph and computer says 30 mpg already. I drove 40 miles and the remaining miles
Went from 400 to 440. It even increased. Lol.

doublenot7
Explorer
Explorer

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry forgot they switched to DEF and mileage went up again ...my bad...
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

transamz9
Explorer
Explorer
steelpony5555 wrote:
Newer the truck the worse the MPG....If you can find a nice Dodge 5.9 it will get the best fuel mileage....even a 3 Gen 6.7 Dodge is not too bad...buy a 4th Gen 2014 and the fuel mileage will go in the crapper....

:h My 13 is very close to my 05. My 2010 was like you said though.
2016 Ram 3500 Mega Cab Limited/2013 Ram 3500 SRW Cummins(sold)/2005 RAM 2500 Cummins/2011 Sandpiper 345 RET (sold) 2015 Sanibel 3601/2008 Nitro Z9 Mercury 250 PRO XS the best motor made.

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
shum02 wrote:
thehippie wrote:

Eco diesel is a good option I know already that and has been my option but I also like mor power like the 2500 cummins diesel. So I'm just weighing things before coming to a wise decision.

Your asking for peoples opinions....and everyone has one. Try finding published facts/articles and then work your way backwards to opinions.

BTW I also agree it's the person in the drivers seat that determines mpg. I can get 20mpg hiway all days driving 55-62mph, a combined 15mpg to work and 10-12mpg towing.

Not to bad in my world. As usual YMMV.
i actually bought today 2015 ram2500 diesel long bed tradesman crew cab. So far I've driven it 75 miles in the city at 20-22 mpg. Good thing traffic is just moderate in the city.

Scooter86
Explorer
Explorer
Sadly, you used to be able to get better fuel mileage and cheaper fuel from a diesel. The epa has pretty much ruined those days unless you can do an emissions delete and chip it. I have a '10 2500 Cummins combo. All stock. My best was 19mpg highway NY to NC. Towing 8k I am looking at more like 8 or 9mpg over the same run. A solid 1.5mpg over my previous 5.7hemi in a similar truck. By internet rumor I could probably upgrade mpg again with the 6.4 hemi.

All of which still leaves me curious about the new 5.0 Cummins about to be released. 310/550 is pretty close to what the big 3 were selling just about 8 years ago.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
steelpony5555 wrote:
Newer the truck the worse the MPG....If you can find a nice Dodge 5.9 it will get the best fuel mileage....even a 3 Gen 6.7 Dodge is not too bad...buy a 4th Gen 2014 and the fuel mileage will go in the crapper....

Just a minor correction, for RAM, 2007 to 2012 don't get very good fuel mileage. 2013+ with the new DEF emissions strategy and far more passive regenerations will get very good mileage, pretty much pre-emissions level fuel economy or even a little better. I've pulled just a hair under 22 mpg with mostly highway driving. I think I could had done better if I was driving on flat ground versus mountain passes and having to get around slower drivers when passing lanes present themselves.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

shum02
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote:

Eco diesel is a good option I know already that and has been my option but I also like mor power like the 2500 cummins diesel. So I'm just weighing things before coming to a wise decision.

Your asking for peoples opinions....and everyone has one. Try finding published facts/articles and then work your way backwards to opinions.

BTW I also agree it's the person in the drivers seat that determines mpg. I can get 20mpg hiway all days driving 55-62mph, a combined 15mpg to work and 10-12mpg towing.

Not to bad in my world. As usual YMMV.
2006 F350 Lariat FX4 CC 4x4 PSD
2007 KZ2505QSS-F Outdoorsman

thehippie
Explorer
Explorer
BenK wrote:
Wow...can see where this is going...

So, Yes, a Prius can tow a trailer. Just like this motorcycle can. I've towed
many things, including a utility trailer with my 2 seater with a 2.4L ICE that
weighs around 2400 lbs with me in it...which is less than my brothers Prius weighs
with him in it

If MPG is that important to you...then buy a half ton with any one
of the published high MPG's. The only diesel that markets to car
folks is the EcoDiesel and rightly so, there is a niche market and
you fit that bill perfectly

howmuchcanitow howmuchshoulditow
before buying a pretty expensive purchase it is just but right that u need to know everything. From the performance of the engine to the price to the mpg. U just don't jump right away and spend 40,000 dollars. For me everything is impt not only he mpg

N-Trouble
Explorer
Explorer
thehippie wrote:
Is the Ram 2500 Cummins the most fuel economical amongst 3/4 ton to one ton diesel pickup trucks?

From my experience there is probably more variability in fuel mileage amongst the same manufacturer of truck then there is between the manufacturers.

Regen frequency plays a big role in mileage and there seems to be a lot of variability between how long some trucks go between regens vs others. No ryme or reason they just do that, and the manufacturers "supposedly" don't know why.

At the end of the day it really all depends on how lucky you are and the particular truck you drive off the lot more than anything.
2015 Attitude 28SAG w/slide
2012 GMC 2500HD SLT Duramax
B&W Turnover w/Andersen Ultimate 5er hitch

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Depends
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31