2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers
165 REPLIES 165

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
wilber1 wrote:
I would never run my truck or any of my other vehicles at WOT up a long grade or just about any other time for that matter, so what it will do at WOT doesn't mean much to me. I don't believe in abusing the machinery just to get up a hill a minute or two faster.

Look at the video again. The Ram Ecodiesel was screaming (for a diesel) at 3,500-4,000 rpm at wide open throttle only being able to do 50 mph for most of the way up with no power to spare if needed. It struggled almost all the way up the mountain and took longer to get up the mountain.
Ram 1500 3.0L Ecodiesel tows 7,200 lbs up the Ike Gauntlet

The 2.7L Ecoboost was between 2,500-4,000 rpm not at wide open throttle most of the way while easily able to do the speed limit with power to spare if needed. It had the quicker time up the mountain with little struggle.
Ford F150 2.7L Ecoboost tows 7,200 lbs up the Ike Gauntlet

Ironically, the Ram gives that 1500 Ecodiesel a higher tow rating than what Ford gives that 2.7L Ecoboost. This is what I am arguing about because I think it is a bunch of bull because like you, I don't think a vehicle should have to struggle that hard with no power to spare when towing less than it's max. I think that Ram needs to lower that tow rating on that Ecodiesel to something it can do without struggling so hard.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I would never run my truck or any of my other vehicles at WOT up a long grade or just about any other time for that matter, so what it will do at WOT doesn't mean much to me. I don't believe in abusing the machinery just to get up a hill a minute or two faster.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
The Ecodiesel has a reputation for running hot, without actually overheating, at least in the Ram configuration. There have been some overheating incidents in the Grand Cherokee though.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
ShinerBock wrote:
"The only place where the trucks showed any sign of weakness was climbing the nearly 7 percent final grade on the push to 5,000 feet of elevation. With the accelerator stapled to the floor, the truckโ€™s speed dropped off to 53 mph, and engine temperature climbed to an almost alarming 244 degrees. Thankfully, as we crested the summit, the engine temperature returned to normal and we never experienced any other engine temperature issues during the remainder of the test."

To me it's not a concern at all that the truck slowed to 53 mph, especially considering the 7% grade as well as the elevation. What is very alarming is the fact that the truck very nearly overheated. This indicates that the truck is not engineered to handle wide open throttle application for any length of time. Even more alarming is that the ambient temperature was fairly low. It would make me very hesitant to tow even a 5000 lb travel trailer in brutal conditions, like pulling Vantage Hill in Eastern Washington into a 25 mph headwind in 100 degree temperatures. The Ford V10 in my old motorhome would slow to 50 or so in those conditions, but the engine temperature never budged.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

8iron
Explorer
Explorer
Post Deleted...Someone beat me to it
2014 F350 Lariat
2011 Sunset Trail Reserve 29ss

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
bguy wrote:
41.8% better fuel mileage towing at WOT. I think Ram hit the nail right on the head and fired it home all in one shot!

Definitely good mileage, but, as others have said, a better comparison would be if the 2.7L EcoB were held back to the same speed as the EcoD.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
41.8% better fuel mileage towing at WOT. I think Ram hit the nail right on the head and fired it home all in one shot!
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
Great performance from just 240 hp engine.
I've been up grades like that with my previous '01 5.9 Cummins 235/460 engine pulling its 13k lb rated capacity and could't keep the posted 55 mph speed limit....which means diddly squat.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Like most half tons sold these days, the new minivan or family sedan used for the occasional tow and Saturday afternoon haul from Home Depot. For most owners, any of the half tons are suitable for the purpose. Like IB said, tow a lot or heavy, there's 3/4 or 1 tons available.

hone_eagle
Explorer
Explorer
Flop is way too strong a word,even incorrect.
Plenty of owners will be satisfied.
2005 Volvo 670 singled freedomline 12 speed
Newmar 34rsks 2008
Hensley trailersaver TSLB2H
directlink brake controller

-when overkill is cheaper-

ib516
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think it did as well as can be expected for 240hp. To put that into some perspective, my 2014 Jeep Cherokee has 271hp, and a 4500# tow rating max.

Ram realizes what most here fail to. People who need a vehicle for frequent or heavy towing in extreme conditions should buy a 2500 or 3500.

People who want a comfortable fuel efficient family hauler that can also do some light towing should shop for a half ton EcoDiesel. Many people complain when car and driver or comsumer reports give a truck negative comments when they say its step in heighg is too high or it rides rough. They respond with "you dummies, its a truck". Many here are doing the same. You have a truck designed and built for comfort and fuel economy then put it in about the most extreme towing test you can in the U.S. the bash it when it drops 5 or 10 mph.

That's kind of like saying a pair of pliers are judged poorly when used to pound in nails.
Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10
06 Chevy 1500 4x4 E-Cab 3.73 5.3L
07 Dodge 1500 5.7L Hemi 3.55 / 2010 Jayco 17z
All above are sold, no longer own an RV

mythree
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about it being a flop. I was at an FLW event today and there were a few pro fishermen towing with them. They seemed happy with them. I'd love to have one for my chores.
1 newborn ds
2 dd
1ds
1 beautiful dw

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
So, for the record, the speed limit on that stretch of road is 60 MPH, not 65.

That was a mistype on my part. I fixed it.

Bionic Man wrote:
Here, the truck that can maintain the posted maximum allowed speed with it's rated capacity virtually every where else is vilified because it is 10 MPH under the speed limit (maximum allowed legal speed) on a short, extreme tretch of road.

It is not just on this stretch of road that the Ecodiesel has issues.

"While ascending the steepest areas on the route, which included the 6 percent grade of the Grapevine, we had our foot to the floor and the V-6 was spinning at 4,000 rpm for several minutes in order to maintain 55 mph."

http://www.fourwheeler.com/vehicle-reviews/2014-ram-1500-ecodiesel-review-towing-and-mpg-fuel-economy/#ixzz3VdeKsUWK

"The only place where the trucks showed any sign of weakness was climbing the nearly 7 percent final grade on the push to 5,000 feet of elevation. With the accelerator stapled to the floor, the truckโ€™s speed dropped off to 53 mph, and engine temperature climbed to an almost alarming 244 degrees. Thankfully, as we crested the summit, the engine temperature returned to normal and we never experienced any other engine temperature issues during the remainder of the test."

http://www.dieselpowermag.com/features/dodge/1403_2014_ram_1500_ecodiesel_vs_2500_sibling_rivalry/trailer_towing.html#ixzz3Vdeyx8G4

It seems towing up inclines in general are getting the better of this engine. This is why I think Ram should lower its tow rating.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
This made for a great discussion though. So long as things remain civilized. I think this was a great discussion without diving deep into fanboy remarks and raging insults. Trollers succeed only when things take a turn for the worst. But then the thread is still young.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

v10superduty
Explorer
Explorer
nomad297 wrote:
Here's the lowdown.

Bruce

Folks, this guy (the OP) is a great fisherman.

He threw this lure out and caught all you suckers,
never even had to come back and wiggle the bait...... :B

I think I overheard him, just before he posted, say to his partner,

"watch how few words I can type and catch all these dudes".. :W
2000 F250 V10 dragin a 2005 Titanium 29E34RL