comfort,reliability, towing etc...
I know everyone has an opinion.
29 ft tt
2016 RAM 3500 6.7 CUMMINS
53 REPLIES 53

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I will try to stay as factual as possible.

RAM follows SAE on their entire truck line, that means they have something to backup what they claim.

The Cummins engine and Aisin transmission are both medium duty.

The Cummins uses the CP3 fuel injection pump, it's proven to be the most dependable among the big three.

Ok now more opinion with some facts mixed in

The RAM factory rear air ride available on the 3500's works GREAT!!!

The Aisin with 4.10's towing a combined 32,500# is flawless, I can start out on a grade without the running gear feeling like it's going to fall out.

The transmission and engine stay cool under all conditions.

The LongHorn and Limited interiors are second to none. The leather quality is what you would expect in a 100K luxury car.

The ride is quiet even when the engine is working pulling the grades, I know the other two are supposed to be quieter! But the worst noise level is nothing as you still can carry on a normal conversation.

The fit and finish is great, the interior is rattle free.

Just look around to see what truck is used most by independent RVhaulers and hot shotters.

Truck has 9,580# sitting on the rear tires. If the truck were a F450 the rear axle would be overloaded at a light 9,100# rating. 3500 Dually is rated to 9,750#.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
I'd definitely get the red one.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
BenK wrote:
chocolate, triple scoop, no sprinkles, crushed nuts on a honey cone...oh if they
have a hot dip...for sure thing...

Prefer white and only single stage. No dark colors and no clear coat on any of
my trucks...unless buying used

Clear coat is okay on any of my cars

Big block over small block

Gasser over diesel

Allen Edmond's but Santoni's/Ferragamo's/etc okay. Toe cap and saddles top of that list

LT's over P's any day. No ST's on anything I'll own

4x4 if there is a choice, but the fashion statement folks have driven me away
from buying 'new' 4x4's and their push button instead of floor levers

Locker over LS

Just my short list... ๐Ÿ˜‰

You're pretty knowledgable about a lot of things, but I don't understand the "no clear coat" statement. You realize that pretty much every vehicle off the line in the last 25 years has 2 stage paint, i.e. Base coat/clear coat.
You can have that option if you paint it yourself and I agree, that a vehicle that is destined to get scratched up is much easier to sand/polish out the scratches and blend repairs with single stage paint.
So much for me helping this thread sty on track......oh well it was destined for failure from the first open ended question!!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
1jeep wrote:
my last ford truck went over 100k miles with zero pump issues, but I change my filters every 10k miles and watch where I buy fuel from.

Well now days 100K is not a badge of honor even for a gasser!! Modern gas should easily be able to 250K, Diesel should make 500K. The Wrapper should also be able to match those distances.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
chocolate, triple scoop, no sprinkles, crushed nuts on a honey cone...oh if they
have a hot dip...for sure thing...

Prefer white and only single stage. No dark colors and no clear coat on any of
my trucks...unless buying used

Clear coat is okay on any of my cars

Big block over small block

Gasser over diesel

Allen Edmond's but Santoni's/Ferragamo's/etc okay. Toe cap and saddles top of that list

LT's over P's any day. No ST's on anything I'll own

4x4 if there is a choice, but the fashion statement folks have driven me away
from buying 'new' 4x4's and their push button instead of floor levers

Locker over LS

Just my short list... ๐Ÿ˜‰
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
All of them are good. If used buy 2011 and up if you want payload.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
P.S.
My religion is Ram CTD

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pickup trucks are kinda like "religion " , if ya feel the need , it don't make no difference as they are mostly all the same .

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
my last ford truck went over 100k miles with zero pump issues, but I change my filters every 10k miles and watch where I buy fuel from.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
They are all good trucks with pros and cons. The CP4 injection pump in the Powerstroke and Duramax would give me pause, but beyond that it pretty much boils down to personal preference.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

1jeep
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just purchased a 1 ton dually loaded with everything and looked at all 3, it was a very tough decision as they all have their pluses and minuses. in the end I bought another ford, not because I pee blue urine, but it had more of what I was looking for.
The dodge I really liked, was black on black leather limited and was loaded. they came down from 74 to 60 and it was hard to walk away. I didn't like the mirrors and few other things, weren't to my personal liking.
GMC, while I did like the interior, I didn't like the def being under the hood and the dealer didn't seem to care if I bought or walked.
For me It might be because im now more used to ford, maybe im like goldilocks, because it just seemed to fit just right.

If you buy any of them and run junk fuel and neglect the service then im certain you could have issues. good luck with your choices, like I said it is tough as they are all nice.
2016 Ford F350 crew cab dually 6.7 platinum with heavy tow and 4:30 gears
2015 Carbon 327 with a BMW k1600 and Canam 1k inside

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
blt2ski wrote:
3, 2, 1,

how quick should I lock this? How long till this goes to heck in a handbasket?

OP has been listed as a member for a year, and wants to know which is bes........

oh me aching head!

marty

PS,
The one that fits you rear end best......or better yet, the one you wife will be seen in!

I'm impressed its stayed civil enough to make it this far.

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
My wallet decided for me. Best price with the best options.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

tinner12002
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Whichever one you can afford
Whichever one YOU like after test driving

And then most importantly
Whichever one your better half likes riding in

Yep that pretty much sums it up!
2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2018 Raptor 428SP

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
blt2ski wrote:
3, 2, 1,

how quick should I lock this? How long till this goes to heck in a handbasket?

OP has been listed as a member for a year, and wants to know which is bes........

oh me aching head!

marty

PS,
The one that fits you rear end best......or better yet, the one you wife will be seen in!
Your a gluton for punishment to moderate this section of the forum.