cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Retracting Slide in Winter Wonderland

phishheadmi
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have my TT winterized, but have the slide extended and we got the great surprise of about 28" of snow in the last few days. I broomed all the snow off the top of the slideout, but there's a good layer of ice remaining on the top of the slide. I'm concerned that if I retract the slide as-is I may risk damaging my seals AND that when the ice does melt off all that water will wind up inside the TT. Any suggestions on how to proceed? I ran the heat all day yesterday hoping to melt off the ice to no avail...we're expecting another 8-10" today and there's only one day above freezing in the 10 day forecast.

This is ridiculous, I know better...this early snow dump just caught me with my pants down...this AND, my tractor/snowblower is in the shop!
15 REPLIES 15

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
A slide awning is a fix for most problems like this. Worth its weight in gold. So in the meantime, suggest a ladder and hair dryer or heat gun and some time. If you get lucky enough to have some sun, you may be able to just shove the whole thing off. Good luck.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

owenssailor
Explorer
Explorer
We were leaving Monday ( yesterday) to head South. The slide was out and covered with snow and a layer of ice. I brushed off what I could then used a kettle to pout hot water onto the slide. The ice melted, I then used a window squeege to wipe the water off. Slide closed n problem. No water mess inside. Easy to do. Can also be done when not at home.
2011 Jayco 28U
2012 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 6 spd 3.42 (sold)
2017 Chev Silverado Crew Cab 5.3 8 spd 3.42
Equal-i-Zer 1400/14000
RotoChocks

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
If you aren't going to move it I would just wait until the weather clears, sweep it and let it melt. Dealers leave the slides out in the snow all winter long. If you need to move it, artificial heat, don't retract with any ice on it.

BulldawgFan
Explorer
Explorer
tomousecap wrote:
Been there done that: Just got out a hose and hooked up to hot water low point. Hosed the ice and snow off and closed the slide.... ๐Ÿ™‚

That is seriously brilliant! I am assuming you had to get some sort of adapter/converter to go from low point drain to a hose, yes? Trying to envision what would be needed. We are traveling to Illinois for thanksgiving and this has brought up the point of being prepared for anything. About 4 years ago we left on the morning of a surprise snow storm, we weren't in the rv that time...
2018 Forest River FR3 30DS
2011 GMC Terrain (Toad #1)
1993 Jeep YJ (Toad #2)
1993 EZGO Marathon 48v

bguy
Explorer
Explorer
A garden hose will do the trick. Cold water will work just fine and you will be surprised how fast it works.
---------------------------------------
2011 Ram 1500 Quad Cab, 4x4, 3.55, HEMI
2009 TL-32BHS Trail-Lite by R-Vision

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
Would one of those roll up slide covers have prevented this? Just curious.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Use a hose connected to your water heater to melt the ice.
Dry with an old towel and bring the slide in.

tomousecap
Explorer
Explorer
Been there done that: Just got out a hose and hooked up to hot water low point. Hosed the ice and snow off and closed the slide.... ๐Ÿ™‚
Bob
2007 Fleetwood Bounder - Full Paint 35E
Workhorse 6 Speed 496 Cubic Inch V8 - W22
Ford fans - RPM is a poor substitute for Cubic Inches!
2013 Chev Volt - Towing on a Master Tow Dolly
Gracie = Adopted longhair Amazon Chihuahua

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
I'd start melting ice with a heat gun or your wife's hair drier. Good luck.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would leave it out rather than pull all that ice through the seals and into the trailer.

Cool_Canuck
Explorer
Explorer
I trust you are not in a hurry to move the RV. I would try to cover the slide with a tarp of some sort. Pick a decent day and put heat under the tarp. Don't catch the thing on fire.
'05 Day Dreamer by Cedar Creek
2011 F250 PSD CC

You can lead a horse to water.
You cannot make it drink.

old_idaho_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to us over the weekend and we were 80 miles away from home. I used heat inside, a broom to get all the loose snow off, a hair dryer and the sun to melt, and a plastic scraper to clear it off. Becareful if you are on the snow covered roof. It is slippery and you can't see the skylights or vents. A tall ladder is best, but of course I didn't have one with me!

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
I had a trailer with a slide and got caught in the snow during a fishing trip. The snow melted during the day and then froze into a good sized chunk of ice at night. When we were going to leave I couldn't get the slide in AND couldn't get to a place where I could remove it. It was a mess. By the time we finagled a fix, the slide came in and during the trip home the snow/ice melted and made a real mess inside. Also had other trips during heavy rain storms that created similar messes inside along with issues trying to get the slide out on a couple of other trips. Needless to say, I don't have a slide anymore.

If there is a chance of warmer weather coming you can heat the inside of the trailer and wait until the snow melts. By the look of the forecasts that might not happen anytime soon. I would get up with a ladder and remove as much as I could. When retracted the snow will melt off but if you are ready with towels it shouldn't be a big thing.

Good luck.
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch