cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rock stable on jacks now with another wonderful Torklift toy

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I'll be going to the Oregon coast soon to go play with my sand toys, and when I get there I'll be taking my TC off the truck for a week.

Most of the time I don't bother taking it off if it's just a day or weekend trip. But when I take it off there's always this uncomfortable wobble, even fully lowered to the ground..

Well son of fast-gun (see what I did there ๐Ÿ™‚ ), Torklift makes jack braces called Wobble Stoppers. They took all of 15 minutes to put on, and wow, what a difference.

Uses the same Fast-Gun style turnbuckles as thier tie-down system, and everything is theft-resistant -- Special security head bolts with lock nuts, and they came with another set of Fast-Gun style locks. And all the hardware is stainless. Even the screws going into the camper were a special security head. And yes, they even sent the security bits for your cordless.

And there's a second bracket just so you can stow them without having to remove them, while still keeping them locked on---

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo
13 REPLIES 13

matilf
Explorer
Explorer
Perfect timing. I was just wondering how to secure my TC at a campground so I can take the truck daily a few miles away to a conference. Of course nothing is bullet proof but this looks great. I need to leave it off truck for a week, and this sure seems to fit the ticket.

redink
Explorer
Explorer
So I just got back from Whistler Canada from a mountain biking trip where we shared a small campsite about 5' away from our friends tent trailer. Will something like this prevent our camper from rockin so the neighbors don't come a knockin in the morning? First world problems you know.
2012 Lance 825 on a 2008 Ford F-250 Diesel with Rancho 9000's, Fast Guns, Stableload Quick Disconnects for lowers and homemade Bumbers for the uppers, TokLift Tie Downs

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the same Torklift product on my swing out brackets and they are FANTASTIC, absolutely no motion whatsoever.

I think swing out brackets themselves introduce a bit of slop to the camper stability to begin with, so these Wobble Stoppers do just that!

Highly recommended.
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I was going to say you could sleeve the lock pin holes- but because the camper side is a slotted hole on the T/Ls wouldn't accomplish much. That and as the wobble stoppers work against each other for one to 'wobble' into the free space the other side would be getting tighter.
Mine are fairly tight fixed holes both ends. If I only connected one side to side arm I might see a little better control than either shown mounting of the Torklifts. But in reality I don't see any real sway control until opposite side is connected. I doubt any measurable decrease in sway in any of the mounting configurations.

I should let this motivate me to finish mine, allowing rotation of the bottom jack mount. I didnt know when I built, though everyone who has installed wobble stoppers swears by them, if they would work as claimed. So only did minimum as proof of concept. Been couple of years, and they are awesome, but that squeaking by, I can hit brackets, getting old.

Ill only add the biggest plus and reason for me adding wobble stoppers, though the camper not moving when offloaded really nice and motivation for most, is the stability when raising and lowering.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
Boatycall wrote:
Mine's on dually swing out brackets, so rotating them is a non-issue. I wanted them locked on at all times.

If you put the lock in the handle, it will be locked on at all times. Even when stored.
The way you have it, I could walk up and unscrew the allthread from the fast gun and walk away with it.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
You only have 3/4" clearance per side between the wheel wells. Having more than that outside the bed really doesn't mean much.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Mine's on dually swing out brackets, so rotating them is a non-issue. I wanted them locked on at all times.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
If installed according to their directions, you don't lose any clearance because the bracket is loosened and turned outboard, and stowed in it's bracket.
The main problem with that first picture is that now the bracket can't be loosened to swivel because the stow bracket is being used as the main bracket. Then the actual fast gun is being held in by the lock which has a much smaller diameter than the mounting hole. This is going to allow movement of the camper before the slack is taken up, which defeats the whole purpose of the wobble stopper.
2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
As far as losing clearance depends on how much you have to spare. I made my wobblestoppers wannabes because I wanted 2 each front jack to control sway in both direction-couldn't justify cost of 4. But the lost clearance between mount and fenders is 'bout the same. I have a 1/2" on each side, when its going well--backing in is done methodically now ๐Ÿ™‚

I think reference to difference of new style A7006/A7016 is the original Wobble stoppers (A7005/A7015)didn't have the fastgun, were manual, different mounts/retainer. They are (older style) still available a little bit less cost.
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

brholt
Explorer II
Explorer II
From the first set of pictures it looks like you might lose some clearance between the jacks and the trucks. Is that correct and if so how big a deal is it? I know I don't have a lot right now

languiduck
Explorer
Explorer
New version, or strange install?

This is how mine are. Not saying that way won't work but I don't think that's what they intended. The locks go through the fastgun handle.

2006 F250
Palomino Bronco 800

campn4walleye
Explorer
Explorer
We have them as well though ours are not the latest version as yours are. The new version seems like they attach easier and I like how you can lock them.

We love them and can really feel the difference if we forget to attach them.
2011 Adventurer 910FBS truck camper,Torklift tie downs,Fastguns & Wobbl-stopprs
2012 Dodge 3500 DRW 6.7L CTD,4x4,LB,CC,auto,3.73 axle,General 17" on/off rd
2008 Lund 1825 Explorer Sport,115 Merc,9.9 kicker,Torklift Super Hitch,42" Supertruss
USAF ret E-9&E-7

fpoole
Explorer
Explorer
Yah, i've seen these and was planning on getting them but then talking with others they indicated "Wobble" was not an issue, so thought I'd put them on "Hold" for awhile.

Good to know they work.
I suspect I'll be getting them sooner than later...

thanks..
Frank Poole
Roam'n ROG (Full Timer since Oct '15)
2016 RAM 5500, C/c, 6.7 Diesel, AISIN HD 6-spd, 19.5 DRW, 72 Gal fuel, 4x4, 10โ€™ Alum FB, 440 Amps, 4.10 Axle
2016 AF 990 640-Solar/10-6v Batts
GlowStep Stow Nโ€™ Go, E-Bike
RS1 Buggy
frank

Pooles website