cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rodent nest in truck

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
This is a new one for me. I took my truck in for a service today and when I went to pick it up the mechanic told me he found a rodent nest at the back of the engine against the firewall. He pulled it out, and showed me about a cubic foot of grey insulation, I guess from the firewall. No sign of any other damage to wires etc, but I guess I am short of soundproofing now!!
The truck stays outside all of the time, and we have had a few nights below zero, so the mouse or rat found a nice warm engine to cosy up to.
I have set a trap in the engine compartment, and also in my 5th wheel basement to see if I can flush them out.
Does anyone have any experience with the electronic things you plug in to keep mice etc away? Do they work?
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper
26 REPLIES 26

silversand
Explorer
Explorer
We've had major problems with mice in the engine compartment of the 2500hd (gm). They nest in the large fuse box, eat fuse plastic(!), eat the. Black insulation skin, and rip out the glass wool to make nests throughout engine (and, inside air filter box). I used snap traps for two years, and caught many (so many, i stopped counting). And, that was during the summer/fall season (6 months). The other six months the rig was stored in a marina heated facility.

This winter, we are storing at our house outdoors. I separated truck from camper, and parked truck 40 feet from where mice invaded it (truck now out in middle of driveway, far from forest, and our dry stacked stone wall). So far, so good. Our snow hit in october this year, and no mice. I did build a custom steel piece (out of an old gm air filter mesh), and have installed it in the air filter intake to block mice (i remove it and put filter back when i start the truck). This summer, i will replace the black insulation (my dealer will do this for $237).

Research vegetable additive plastics and wire insulation. This is a major issue with at least 7 vehicle manufacturers and numerous of their models, today.

*drier sheets were absolutely useless. I tried 4 brands, and all of them were used by our mice, shredded, and made into nests! Also, the problem with volatiles like peppermint, and many other odiferous deterrents is that in open air, the effectiveness degrades, as the wind over your engine (with hood closed) or excess air movement oxidizes those agents in hours or a few days. Btw: mice create scent trails, and more aggresive mice will often encroach weaker holed up mice, and scare them off, whereby even more aggressive mice will displace those (a vicious cycle, following those scent trails throughout you engine, the scent lasting up to several years, unless you steam clean your engine...every few weeks.
Silver
2004 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0L Ext/LB Tow Package 4L80E Michelin AT2s| Outfitter Caribou

Ramp_Digger
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone ever tried peppermint oil,a couple of drops on a cotton ball.Place a few of these here and there in the afected area.I have not done this myself just had someone suggest it.
05 dodge 3500 cummins diesel, 8.5 alaskan on flatbed

campingken
Explorer
Explorer
We live in the country and adopted 2 barn cats. They, plus the hawks and owls, keep the rodent population in check. So far we haven't had any auto vs. rodent issues.
Ken & Kris + Heidi the dog
Sequim, Wa.
2003 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 diesel
2017 Trails West Sierra Select 2 Horse slant load trailer

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I travel several months each summer and camp usually in USFS campgrounds. A good part of the firewall cover over the insulation has been eaten out by now. A little bit more each year disappears.

A couple of years back my turn signal stopped working just before the end of my travels. Took the GM dealer a while to find it. Rodent had eaten into a wire into the fuse box under the hood. Glad I didn't have the $3K bill someone else here mentioned. 🙂
Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Being in remote areas, I have had frequent guests in my engine compartment, none have ever made it into my camper or motorcycle trailer. I first noticed the guests a couple of months after I got my truck, as there were bits of insulation pulled out off of my turbos and fashioned into a nest in a small recessed area. I did what any farmer does, I put some D-Con boxes up in the engine compartment, where nothing can get to them but the guests that I wish to unwelcome. I change the carton out after a month or so, as they deteriorate with time and temperatures. It is noticeable that the "treats" have been taken, as they do disappear and have found a couple relocated in the compartment. Since then, I have not seen any more damage to my truck, after 5 years of preventive steps. But, I do see the problem in the Fall, as temperatures begin to drop over any other time of the year.

Also, Denver's Airport, D.I.A., has a lot of problems with Rabbits eating the wire insulation off of cars, parked in their long term parking lots. It was interesting video on Channel 9news, one time seeing the Rabbits disappearing up into the cars and then back down on the ground. Don't always assume it is the little critters doing the damage, it might just be the cuddly ones too.

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

BeanMan
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a Jack Russell Terrier. He makes sure no squirrel or other rodents roam freely in my yard.

free_radical
Explorer
Explorer
I never had problems with any critters yet,maybe bc once a year I spray all underside chassis with Rust Check which is rust preventing oil that never dries,no animal would like to nest in greasy oil.. 🙂

cdbinns
Explorer
Explorer
We have had good luck with bounty dryer sheets. Apparently the critters don't like the smell. We placed a few under the hood of the truck and did not have a problem again.

happycamper1942
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the advice and the interesting stories. I have had traps set for 2 days and caught nothing yet. I am going to follow the advice a couple of you gave and get some FRESH CAB.
One last question, do you think it is worth the bother to try to replace the insulation? It is very hard to get at, and the truck does not sound any difference so I am thinking of just leaving it. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks again.
2008 Ford F350 crew cab short box PSD, 2021 TravelAir 90W camper

pegdiver
Explorer
Explorer
Was fighting a battle with critters for years - wiring, gas lines, you name it, I have replaced it. Tried all the usual stuff. Fresh Cab is the only thing that has worked. I buy it on Amazon.
2012 Winnebago Adventurer 37F with 2012 Jeep Liberty toad.
Old - 1999 32' Adventurer (no slides) with Grand Vitara toad (105,000 miles!)
Pride 3 wheel mobility scooter
Only 3 states to go in the USA, Camped in most of Canada and 4 states in Mexico too!

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rodents will not nest in duallys...you nee a dually.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Rettrooper
Explorer
Explorer
Buzzcut1 wrote:
snap traps baited with peanut butter under the hood when I lived in the mountains. I snared at least one critter a day for a while then they sort of petered out

X2 Works EVERY time!
2013 Eagle Cap 1160
2006 Ford F-350 SD CC Diesel

rtate
Explorer
Explorer
Cranked up my motorcycle the other day and it was running awful. Took a spin to meet a friend that was going with me that lives about a block and the bike was still running awful. He noticed smoke coming out of one exaust pipe. I tried reving the engine and smoking acorns began shooting out of the exhaust . Something had stashed about 150 acorns in there. Once the burning acorns stopped blowing out the bike settled down and ran good..
2014 Ram CTD 4x2 SRW 3.42 68 RE auto trans
Big Horn 3055RL

Restless

San Marcos Tx

Carb_Cleaner
Explorer
Explorer
You can make out the two baby mice on my in-cabin filter of my previous truck. The truck would sit idle for a week or two at a time. Be sure to set your vehicles HVAC controls to Recirculate to close the fresh air intake while parked. Two years later, I found a leaf and stick nest about a foot and a half diameter under the hood. Squirrel, I suppose. I cleaned it up very well and inspected for chewing damage but I didn't see any. I went about my business and forgot about it. Six months later, I traded that truck in, driving it to their dealership with no issues. A week later, my sales person told me the truck died on a test drive. They replaced chewed ignition wires under the hood. Recently, a local mechanic suggested I try Bounce Dryer Sheets. I guess if duct tape or WD-40 doesn't fix it, throw some dryer sheets at it.
'13 F250XL SC gas 4x4 8', Camper & Plow packages, StableLoads, LT285/65R-18 Goodyear Wrangler A/T Adventure, 18x9 Ultra Motorsports "Phantom" wheels
'12 Wolf Creek 850 TC Coleman Polar Cub 9.2k A/C, 90 watt solar, dual propane & batteries, Maggie Rack