cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Running your propane Refrigerators while fueling?

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Today I had an experience that should make you think twice about leaving a propane Refrigerator running while fueling.

I was at a Sam's Club when the car next to me had a large hole develop in the gas line between the pump and the car.

The lady pumping the gas did not know what to do. The attendant noticed the problem when the lady started yelling and shut things down.

But before he got it shut down there was gasoline all over everything and possibly a couple gallons on the ground.

There was a very strong gas smell many yards from the accident.
41 REPLIES 41

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
Link? I always hear this type of story, but I don't think I've ever seen it actually corroborated.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Woodtroll
Explorer
Explorer
Just because it hasn't happened to you yet, doesn't mean it won't or can't happen. A few years back, in our neighboring county, a gas station was destroyed and and employee lost his life when an RV refrigerator ignited a gasoline spill that the employee was trying to mitigate. The ignition source was confirmed by witnesses and the police investigation.

So for those of you that are basically saying, "I'll do what I want to do, heck with everyone else", I would ask you how you would feel if your actions cost someone their life?

Unlikely, yes. Possible, definitely.
2003 F250XL 4WD 7.3L Crewcab LB, 6 speed; Prodigy brake controller; Big Tex grille guard/ deer deflector. Canoe hauler and camping truck extraordinaire!
2003 Layton 242 Scout- Extra batteries, solar panels, LED lighting, and propane for boondocking.

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
jamesu wrote:
To each his own, but it seems like common sense to me.
wouldn't common sense indicate you also shouldn't drive to your destination, which is hundreds of times more dangerous then keeping the propane on?

Which just goes to say you have selective common sense, just like the rest of us; some dangers you accept and some you choose to ignore.

bid_time
Nomad
Nomad
seaeagle2 wrote:
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/pdfs/98-111.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB98111
CDC has heard of plastic gas tanks with static charge
I don't have a plastic or carpeted bed liner so I'm good to go.

jamesu
Explorer
Explorer
I guess I am in the minority, but I close the propane line at the TT just before starting underway. I never drive with propane turned on.

We keep the fridge closed until we get to that nightโ€™s destination and then either plug in shore power or turn on the propane, whichever is the case at the next campsite. The contents stay cold. So many things can happen while underway, so why add to the turmoil should we get into an accident and somehow the open propane line gets cut?

To each his own, but it seems like common sense to me.
2011 Chevy 2500 Duramax diesel
2019 Timber Ridge 24RLS (Outdoors RV)
Go Cougs!

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
you might be struck by lightning while refueling too. How many have ever seen a hose leak?? Been driving 50 years and that's a 1st for me.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/98-111/pdfs/98-111.pdf?id=10.26616/NIOSHPUB98111
CDC has heard of plastic gas tanks with static charge
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
openspaces I have never heard of static electricity from a plastic container, but since I would never dream of plastic being able to carry a charge. however since you have evidently had proof and first hand knowledge of this, from now on just too be safe I will always put my containe3rs on the ground just too be sure. It's not worth it to chance messing up a trip not counting the possible pain and destruction just because I was too lazy to lift a tank and put it on the ground this will also go for my boat tanks. Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
Jayco254 wrote:
The day before we leave I switch the fridge on to electric, just before we pull out I switch to propane and that stays on till we reach our destination, then it goes back on electric until we leave the campsite to come home or go to another camp site then it's back to propane, until we get where we are going I don't shut it off when we get gas a meal or any other reason until we get home. Seems like scare tacktics like not filling a plastic gas container in the bed of a pickup because you might get a spark, It's plastic how is that going to cause a spark?

I tend to discount many things as rumor, urban legends and myths. But I have been shocked by my plastic gas cans, I have had the static on them make the hairs on my arms stand on end, and I've had the displeasure of visiting friends in the burn ward of the hospital. Static electricity in plastic gas cans is a fact. You should always put the can on the ground, and always keep the nozzle on the side of the fill neck so it cant builds up a charge and try to jump the gap.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Latner wrote:
trail-explorer wrote:
time2roll wrote:
Mine is always on, whatever.

Ditto.

Ditto Ditto

Ditto Ditto Ditto.

My propane is on right now outside setting in my shed even though the fridge is off. . (I forgot to shut it off after my last trip.)

donut_dave
Explorer
Explorer
same as Jayco. if worried about it, probably stay home and worry about all the dangers in the home which are far more numerous.

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
trail-explorer wrote:
time2roll wrote:

Ditto.

Ditto Ditto

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
The day before we leave I switch the fridge on to electric, just before we pull out I switch to propane and that stays on till we reach our destination, then it goes back on electric until we leave the campsite to come home or go to another camp site then it's back to propane, until we get where we are going I don't shut it off when we get gas a meal or any other reason until we get home. Seems like scare tacktics like not filling a plastic gas container in the bed of a pickup because you might get a spark, It's plastic how is that going to cause a spark?
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:

Ditto.
Bob

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
This RVing is dangerous stuff, fraught with all kinds of hazards lol.