cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Should I use cruise control while towing a travel trailer

tneff
Explorer
Explorer
Should I use cruise control while towing a travel trailer?

Thank you,
Tom
49 REPLIES 49

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You can and I have.

But, I get the best mileage if I leave the cruse off. That way I can let my speed pickup a little going down hill and drop off a little going up hill. I get my best mileage that way. I live in flat country and we have no real big hills.

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
Several of you with Fords mention using " tow mode" I have a 2013 Expedition XLT with 5.4 V8. I see "anti sway" in my set up options but not "tow-mode" Is it there someplace or not available on an Expedition?
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

Bayoubass
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine like most, on flat roads but for up and down situations, I don't. Also run Tow/ mode always. F150, 5.0 liter.

DanNJanice
Explorer
Explorer
I use cruise when towing in the flat desert or the great plains. Otherwise I turn it off. I rarely bother with gadgets like tow/haul mode either. I find the settings far too aggressive in the mountains. If I am in the mountains I just lockout 6th gear.
2015 Jayco 27RLS
2015 F250 PSD

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine a lot, but mostly on interstates. If I'm in a few hills I just push the skinny pedal on the approach to the hill. 5 mph extra up a hill can make a big difference and allow the truck to hold od.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
allen8106 wrote:
It depends. Is your truck diesel or gas? If gas it won't likely do very well in cruise. If diesel it will cruise down the road with no issues. I've had both and speak from experience. My 2009 2500 gasser downshifted every 10 miles between Wichita, KS and Holbrook, AZ. My 2013 diesel down shifted once in the same stretch.
You needed to lock out that top gear or have the differential ratio changed.

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
It depends. Is your truck diesel or gas? If gas it won't likely do very well in cruise. If diesel it will cruise down the road with no issues. I've had both and speak from experience. My 2009 2500 gasser downshifted every 10 miles between Wichita, KS and Holbrook, AZ. My 2013 diesel down shifted once in the same stretch.
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
I use mine in Tow Mode and manually shift it to keep RPM higher than when empty.

Mark_and_Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Good thread....you know, I have never used my cruise while pulling my trailer. Something new to try on my next outing. I find myself even in my car with the cruise on...foot eventually ends up back on the pedal. Habit.....
Mark

Dennis12
Explorer
Explorer
The only time I have had a problem is when i fall asleep.
Dennis Hoppert

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
I use cruise control whenever I can, usually flat and straight sections of highway. Lets me move my legs / knees around - I'm getting new ones (knees) this winter, and it is painful if I just sit without moving for any length of time.

When I approach a hilly area I usually just tap the brakes to temporarily shutoff cruise and I control the speed until back to flat section. As others have said, sometimes the truck will seemingly kill itself to maintain the set speed. If there was some way the truck could anticipate a hill it would be great, but until then it seems easier on the engine to "manually" drive the truck on hills.

Also, cruise control helps me to drive longer periods without getting sleepy. I think since it removes one stress that you have to constantly monitor, vehicle speed, it just makes driving a little easier and less tiring.

Had both knees replaced a couple of years ago, can get around much better but still need to leave it on cruise to move them around and stretch a bit. More annoying than painful now. So I may leave cruise on longer than I should for the knees cause in hilly areas I can anticipate the hills but the cruise can't seem to.
1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
... I'm getting new ones (knees) this winter...

I got a new right knee on July 31 this year. 3 days after surgery I was watering the grass, doing laundry and dishes. 5 days after surgery I was using my John Deere mower, mowing the grass. And 8 days after surgery, driving again (not far, but short trips, that eventually got longer and longer).

Exercise, exercise, exercise is the key to getting your mobility back. If it hurts, do it even more. Take it to where the pain starts, then go one half inch farther and hold it until it quits hurting. Then go another half inch, until it quits hurting. Within 24 hours after surgery, you'll be able to bend your knee 90 - 100 degrees. When I left the hospital (2 nights, 3 days), I was at -03 to 109 degrees. My DR. loved me! You can do it too.

Then push yourself like you've never been pushed before and work, work, work that leg.

FYI, BEFORE Surgery ... absolutely do those pre-surgery exercises. Your hip joints will REALLY appreciate it after surgery, as your hip joint will be the main part of your body that moves your leg. After only about 2 days my hip joint hurt so much, I was kicking myself for not exercising it more. It took about 4 more days for it to finally strengthen and the ache in the hip went away. The ache in the hip hurt more than the knee.... REALLY!

Good luck ... force the leg exercised right now! The stronger your muscles right now... the better it will be AFTER the surgery... I know ... I've been there! Good luck!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Depends on the rig, how heavy you are towing and what you are towing with. I don't use cruise when towing because I don't find it necessary. If I'm on hilly interstate with a target speed of 65 I'll let the rig roll downhill at 70 and slow to 60 on the uphill if I need to....the cruise will rev up the engine and sometimes command 2nd gear to hold the set speed. No need to work the truck that hard IMO.

Of course I have an old 4-speed auto trans...newer trucks, especially diesels have more gear choices and generally more power, so if I had a newer diesel, I would probably be using the cruise control.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use cruse and tow haul all the time except rain or snow. On the interstate I set it at 62 mph and get passed by everyone.

Secondary roads can be a bit more tricky because you have to brake more often but any long stretch of highway and it is switched on.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

NMDriver
Explorer
Explorer
Turn it off in wet or any slick condition on the road.
5er/2500Duramax/18ftBoat