cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size of truck

greystonecowboy
Explorer
Explorer
We are ready to purchase our first fifth wheel trailer and are having trouble deciding on the proper truck. Everyone tells us something different. We are looking at a 32 footer. Will an F150 with eco boost motor pull this? It says that it is rated for 11300Lbs..
64 REPLIES 64

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Jerem, those are some big boys. Glad I don't have your grocery bill. LOL!

1surveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Shadow_Grey wrote:
whsk wrote:
Quick answer-get a 1 ton dually and be done worrying about payload and pin weight-hauls fine!-whsk

Why stop there...get a 450/4500 or 550/5500 or Kenworth/Volvo/Peterbuilt..."and be done worrying about payload and pin weight"...

I have seen MANY 1 tons that were overloaded way more than what any half-ton I have seen.

agreed

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
whsk wrote:
Quick answer-get a 1 ton dually and be done worrying about payload and pin weight-hauls fine!-whsk

Why stop there...get a 450/4500 or 550/5500 or Kenworth/Volvo/Peterbuilt..."and be done worrying about payload and pin weight"...

I have seen MANY 1 tons that were overloaded way more than what any half-ton I have seen.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
whsk wrote:

That's not a bad choice. But for many people for various reasons have to have a lighter duty truck. I do not think its a bad thing for someone to mind their p's and Q's and work within the trucks ratings.

HD trucks can and do get overloaded as well.

Thanks

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

whsk
Explorer
Explorer

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
....snip......
Here is my opinion and how to break this all down simply.

Forget half-ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton designations.

1) figure out your trailers GVWR, if its a TT multiply that by 15%, if its a fiver multiply that GVWR number by 25%. Now you have two important numbers

Pin/Tongue weight and GVWR.

2) Calculate what your truck Has to carry normally... this number will be passengers, and gear in the truck (while towing I suggest loading the trailer and use the vehicle for passengers while towing.. JMHO, especially if you have a lighter payload number)

3) Add the normal cargo number and the Pin/Tongue weight... this will give you an approximate MAX that your truck will be required to carry.

Does your truck or the truck you are thinking about buying measure up?

Example...

I have a family of four...

Me- Decreas payload by -85 (150 of which is calculated in the curb weight of the truck, so decrease payload by 85 lbs, I weigh 225 lbs)
DW - decrease available payload by -150lbs
DS1- Decrease available payload by -175lbs (will increase as child ages)
DS2- Decrease Available payload by -155 lbs (will increase as child ages)
Misc weight- diabetic meds, snacks, purse, video game junk, pillows, blankets etc... -100 lbs.

Weight my truck HAS to carry = 665 lbs, or round up to 700 lbs.

I want a really nice BunkHouse for my boys... so I have to go out and find one that when loaded for camping in our style will have a tongue weight around 700-800 lbs.

Don't forget to account for the weight of the hitch too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Even easier, simpler, and more accurate, load the tow vehicle as it will be for towing and run it across the scales and subtract that number from the factory gvwr rating. It is too easy for forget firewood, tools, generators, truck caps, fuel, etc. You will probably be surprised at how little payload the average half ton has available. Lots less than the salesman said.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
maxwell11 wrote:
I think you need a truck designed to pull and carry at least 20% more than the weight of your trailer.

If you follow that golden rule of towing you will be fine.

remember: pulling the trailer in only about 10% of the issue.

its when some #$%%^& pulls out in front of you and you have to shut her down to a dead stop while you and your passengers are screaming.

that's when you just can not have enough truck!!!!!!!!!!

bigger is better when it comes to hp and torque and brakes, did I say stopping ability !!!!!!!!!!!!

Having an HD truck doesn't guarantee you will stop any faster than a Half ton. Matter of fact my Half ton F150 out handled, out cornered, out stopped my F350. The 20% golden rule is not a standard at all. The truck will carry up to its GVWR and the trucks brakes will perform as designed. The trailer brakes stops the trailer.

If you lose trailer brakes you are at the mercy of luck in either a Half Ton or a HD truck.

Another fallacy that is proliferated on RV.net and other sites is that is it's not OK to be over GVW on a half ton by 1 lb.... but... and here is the fallacy... its OK to overload a HD truck if you add springs, tires, etc.

Here is my opinion and how to break this all down simply.

Forget half-ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton designations.

1) figure out your trailers GVWR, if its a TT multiply that by 15%, if its a fiver multiply that GVWR number by 25%. Now you have two important numbers

Pin/Tongue weight and GVWR.

2) Calculate what your truck Has to carry normally... this number will be passengers, and gear in the truck (while towing I suggest loading the trailer and use the vehicle for passengers while towing.. JMHO, especially if you have a lighter payload number)

3) Add the normal cargo number and the Pin/Tongue weight... this will give you an approximate MAX that your truck will be required to carry.

Does your truck or the truck you are thinking about buying measure up?

Example...

I have a family of four...

Me- Decreas payload by -85 (150 of which is calculated in the curb weight of the truck, so decrease payload by 85 lbs, I weigh 225 lbs)
DW - decrease available payload by -150lbs
DS1- Decrease available payload by -175lbs (will increase as child ages)
DS2- Decrease Available payload by -155 lbs (will increase as child ages)
Misc weight- diabetic meds, snacks, purse, video game junk, pillows, blankets etc... -100 lbs.

Weight my truck HAS to carry = 665 lbs, or round up to 700 lbs.

I want a really nice BunkHouse for my boys... so I have to go out and find one that when loaded for camping in our style will have a tongue weight around 700-800 lbs.

Don't forget to account for the weight of the hitch too.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
I think you need a truck designed to pull and carry at least 20% more than the weight of your trailer.

If you follow that golden rule of towing you will be fine.

remember: pulling the trailer in only about 10% of the issue.

its when some #$%%^& pulls out in front of you and you have to shut her down to a dead stop while you and your passengers are screaming.

that's when you just can not have enough truck!!!!!!!!!!

bigger is better when it comes to hp and torque and brakes, did I say stopping ability !!!!!!!!!!!!

Taco
Explorer
Explorer
If it has the payload package (7 lug wheels) you could probably find a 5th wheel that will suit your needs and stay within the ability of the f150. If it is just the standard payload f150 you will have a tough time staying within the factory limits of the truck. Power will not be the problem. Payload and stability will be. You can improve the experience with airbags, LT load range d or e tires, and new shocks but you can't actually change the load ratings of the truck.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
greystonecowboy wrote:
How about if I went with a 26 footer? I love all the feedback. Is there a certain 5er that is lighter than others?

In this part of the planet you would have no problems. US Tow vehicles do not know.

rxr
Explorer
Explorer
I hear a lot of people here saying "you" but all I can speak for is me.

I would not put that much trailer behind a half ton. I know there are many things I could do to help the truck do whatever job I asked it to do but if I had a choice I would get more truck or less trailer. I feel better using equipment that I don't have to run at 100% to do the job I am asking it to do. For what I need and what I hope to do soon my current truck will do the job I ask of it with room to spare.

Often "can my truck" really means "can I get away with..."

Good luck with your decision and be safe everyone...
"08 2500 HD MC 4X4 CTD, 6 speed Auto, 6 inch revtek w/ 35" toyo MTs. 4.56 gears. Buckstop Bumper w/PIAA Lights and a warn - 28TB Tahoe Toy Hauler, Utility quads 2 kids and one awesome (and patient) wife. Priorities not listed in order of importance

Hybridhunter
Explorer
Explorer
I have both a 1/2 ton for me, and I'm on my 3rd one ton for work....
The 1-ton crashes over potholed roads, stops longer, steers slower, and is nowhere near as nice to drive.
I'm not sure the logic that some use that when hitched up it will become some magical stopping and handling miracle. They just aren't.
An F150 with trailer sway control, ABS, VSC, HD package, huge ventilated discs, and properly loaded right to it's GCWR is a perfectly acceptable tow vehicle. Not for the "bigger is better" crowd, but definitely for those who daily drive, and don't want the "oxcart on a donkey path" feeling 1 ton trucks deliver.
And for the 100th damn time, an F150 with a 2500# payload is not a "half ton". If it is, then a Ram Laramie 2500 is a half ton.

Shadow_Grey
Explorer
Explorer
Cheng...mine was 82-85, Electrician in Engineering Dept. Rotated thru all electrical shops, qualified all watches and inport EOW.

Now Electrical Engineer between camping trips across the country.
'11 F150 XLT Red Candy Met. Ecoboost 4X4 Screw 5.5', Max Tow,Reese R16k 5th wheel hitch,Ride-Rite Air Springs, E Rated Tires, Extang Cover
'13 Keystone Cougar X-Lite 29RES,triple slides,Mor/Ryde suspension, Reese 5th Airborne Sidewinder, 16" E rated tires

Admin
Moved to Tow Vehicles

Admin
RV.net
Admin
RV.net