Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

storage question

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
both tow vehicle and RV

do you guys place mouse bait in or around the tires of the vehicles as they are stored for the winter?

one year I had some animal rip the top on my rv while it was in winter storage, always wondered if they were after the boxes of mice bait I had thrown up onto the roof of the rv.

when the food ran out they were mad, so they started tearing up the roof.

its almost a waste of time anyway, as the mice bait I can buy at TSC or other stores TOM CAT only has 0.01% Bromethalin which must just make the mice hungry.
who knows what the other 99.99% is

any thoughts on storage is appreciated.
22 REPLIES 22

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dave H M wrote:
I think that anyone that randomly puts out poison that will randomly kill any creature that comes along is sorely lacking in the animal rights arena. This demonstration of lack of feelings for animals is disgusting.
I must have missed that section in the constitution that said animals have rights. Animals in my RV, home, garage, vehicle, etc. have no rights, and I will dispatch them with whatever method I want to. And unless you are going to start making the payments on my RV, you get no say so in the matter.

tcp
Explorer
Explorer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yC1XNDyxE4c
2005 Bantam Flyer F-18 - sold
2010 Funfinder 189FDS
2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed.
102k miles, Raider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star SCT Tune, NGK Iridium IX plugs, Bilstein 5100s all around.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
No thanks Don, I'm done with the cat box thing. Actually you can understand now why mice stay away from that cat stench :B Maybe one of us can patent it for the good of all RV owners. I'll be the first investor.
Here kitty, kitty. Let me get a.... ah forget it :B
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like it's time to get a few more cats then Rick :W I never stored my RV at home. Was at a large storage lot surrounded be farm fields.

All I ever did was empty the RV of all food, clean it and bleach the holding tanks. The latter was probably the main reason the mice stayed out of my campers though.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Nothing Don. I did my daily check on the RV garage today. Got another with the good ol Victor slap trap. Darn pests are getting in under the door rubber I think as those are the only traps that have caught any. Laid down a 4x4 on the outside to see if that helps.

Those mice can smell your cats and will go elsewhere. We had cats years ago and I never had any mouse problems.
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
You still are not getting the issue of other animals eating the poisoned mice. What is wrong with a spring trap?

Rick our cats are indoor cats spoiled rotten.

Don

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Those with no mice must have cats or a neighbor's cat visits your place while your sleeping :W
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
If you use the bait to control mice, put it inside a container with holes that larger animals cannot get in. Place the bait away from the RV and provide some drinking water for the mice. When the mice are poisoned, they seek out water.

Yes, it is ugly business, but so is a leaking propane hose from rodent damage. BTDT

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Agreed Dave, I do not have an issue with traps that kill them but poison will also kill other animals that come along and eat it or the rodent killed by the poison.

Humanly kill them or leave them alone. I store my lawn tractor in a unheated storage barn and have been for 20 years and have never had the seat or wiring damaged. But I find mouse droppings in the barn.

Some of you must have bad luck I guess.

Don

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
I think that anyone that randomly puts out poison that will randomly kill any creature that comes along is sorely lacking in the animal rights arena. This demonstration of lack of feelings for animals is disgusting.

RJCorazza
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
Wonder what diatomaceus earth would do if you spread it on the floor all around the rig.

That works for exoskeleton insects, but for rodents they would have to inhale the DE dust to be even affected.

maxwell11
Explorer
Explorer
I ask the same question over on a tractor forum I visit.

as mice really like tractor and farm equipment wiring and seat cushions.
many on there said they spread a few fabric softener Bounce sheets around, the machines or shop,

said the mice apparently hate the smell of the bounce sheets, who would have thought that!!!!! replace them a couple of times during the winter.

I have had them do some major damage over the years.

open a cabinet drawer in your shop and see paper towel shredded up into a bed or one of your tech manual shredded.

gets my goat just thinking about it, with your nice truck setting just feet from the cabinet.

Whatchaupto
Explorer
Explorer
Where would one purchase these peppermint oil or bags? The inhumane sticky traps are in use now in an attempt to catch these RODENTS that have eaten some of my truck parts, like the under-hood insulation. Thanks. Don
'12 Ram 2500 6.7L Reg Cab
'17 Northwood 246RKS
'73 Honda CT90
'11 Polaris RZR
'03 Jeep Wrangler

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Perrysburg Dodgeboy
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"