cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Surprise at the scales

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have a 2000 Maverick 8801. The ID tag says weight is 1875 lbs with propane and water.

This past weekend, I run it accross the scales and, it was quite a surprise.

There was a difference of 3400 lbs between the loaded and unloaded truck weight. If ID tag weight is correct, I've added 1525 lbs of stuff.

MODs I've added:

Swapped manual jacks to electric jacks (camper was prewired)
Added a microwave oven
Added LED television
Added a solar panel and controller
Added 4 X 4 inch wood extension on the bottom (for cab clearance)
Added Fastgun tiedowns
Added electric tank heat pads

At the time of weighing, I had the refer partially full (pop, beer, and milk), water onboard, and a little luggage (one bag for a weekend getaway). Storage drawers / compartments, in the cab over, were empty. Bedding consisted of three sleeping bags. I can't figure out, where all that 1500 lbs is coming from.

The mods might have added 300 lbs. The full water tank would be about 150 lbs. That still leaves about 1000 lbs to figure out where it is.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I
Retired Navy Master Chief (retired since 1995)
13 REPLIES 13

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I had an '03 Maverick with a sticker weight of ~2358#. With A/C, rear awning, microwave, TV, antenna, 2 full tanks of gas, tie downs, and no personal items, food, or water in any of the tanks it weighed 2330#. I weight it 2 different times with almost the same numbers.

My 2500 didn't know it was there.

1500# in a Maverick does sound a bit high as there's not a lot of storage.

I remember someone finding a brick in their cabinet under the oven????????

My '05 AF990 sticker lists the weight as ~3200# with 55 gallons water and 60# of gas. Documents state "mandatory options" of 565#.

Without water and gas but with A/C, Generator, tie downs, and 2 batteries it weighed 3880#. I'm guessing that's 200 - 300 low on the sticker.
Joe and Evelyn

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
We once owned a camper were the weight sticker did not include "OPTIONS".

Two of the "options" listed by the manufacturer included the jacks, deep cycle battery (185#)!

I don't recall the other options, but the options were not optional and were, in fact, integral parts of the camper.

Did the manufacturer fudge the numbers? Yup.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

68Rockhorse
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased a new Maverick 2902.I weighted my truck on the way to pick it up and on way home on a Cat Scale it weighted 600 pound more than the sticker.

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Handbasket wrote:
It won't explain away 1,000 lbs, but... wonder if there was some wording on the camper's weight tag about "xxxx lbs, excluding options"? Roof A/C, generator, awning? Dunno about yours, but those are options on some RV's, and add up.

Jim, "The only thing worse than paying taxes is not having to pay taxes."

Added options could be what it is. Of those options, I only have the AC. I'm not the original owner, so, I don't know what kind of paperwork came with it. I do know, the original owner carried it on a 3500 series dually and I thought he had a little over kill for a 1900 lb camper.

I too, had my head in the sand on the weight. I've had this camper for six to seven years, and this is first time I weighed it. I only did it because, we pulled into a truck stop for fuel and lunch, and right in front of me was a CAT scale. I already had the unloaded truck weight from checking weight distribution on my TT.

Maybe, this thread will help other TC owners to get their heads out of the sand.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
It won't explain away 1,000 lbs, but... wonder if there was some wording on the camper's weight tag about "xxxx lbs, excluding options"? Roof A/C, generator, awning? Dunno about yours, but those are options on some RV's, and add up.

Jim, "The only thing worse than paying taxes is not having to pay taxes."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

pugslyyy
Explorer
Explorer
sabconsulting wrote:
Ouch.

You can see how easy it would be to get into a real problem if you were new to truck campers. Imagine someone looking at the sticker and concluding that 1875 lbs it was only slightly over the payload of their half-ton truck and would therefore be OK - would certainly get a shock.

Worryingly I've never weighed my camper. A bit frightened too really. Currently burying my head in the sand on the basis that it performs and handles well :E

Steve.

I'm pretty much that way as well. I did get on a scale last year because I changed wheels/tires and was trying to figure out the right inflations to use.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
Ouch.

You can see how easy it would be to get into a real problem if you were new to truck campers. Imagine someone looking at the sticker and concluding that 1875 lbs it was only slightly over the payload of their half-ton truck and would therefore be OK - would certainly get a shock.

Worryingly I've never weighed my camper. A bit frightened too really. Currently burying my head in the sand on the basis that it performs and handles well :E

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hi ! Congrats on your Truck Camper. I know a few Maverick owners and they are happy with them.

Thanks for reporting your weights. It is always a reality check, when the Scale is finally applied to the project. Sort of like figuring up your tray, in front of you, at the Cafeteria. When you finally reach the Cashier, that is the true total. We can guesstimate and convince ourselves differently, but it comes down to really what the official weight it. Too many come to this forum and want to hear what they want to hear. We advise them that things are not always what they might think it is and suggest a scale. For the most part, Denial sets in and we never hear from them, ever again.

Have fun and many nights out amongst the stars, in your Truck Camper!

b
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Buzzcut1
Nomad II
Nomad II
handye9 wrote:
Boatycall wrote:
handye9 wrote:

At the time of weighing, I had the refer partially full (pop, BEER, and milk),

There's yer 1,000lbs right dare I tell ya!

Good thing it was a lite weekend. I only had one box of beer.

By box I hope you meant a 24 pack:B
2011 F350 6.7L Diesel 4x4 CrewCab longbed Dually, 2019 Lance 1062, Torqlift Talons, Fast Guns, upper and lower Stable Loads, Super Hitch, 48" Super Truss, Airlift loadlifter 5000 extreme airbags

handye9
Explorer II
Explorer II
Boatycall wrote:
handye9 wrote:

Good thing it was a lite weekend. I only had one box of beer.
18 Nissan Titan XD
12 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Wife and I

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
Seems to be common knowledge that every truck camper setting out for a week in the forest is way overweight. Also applies to many other classes of RVs.

Even it the manufacturers don't lie, what often happens is the customer asks for all sorts of extras to be added and they aren't recorded. The stickers are generic and usually derived from the basic model as it came off the line 10 years ago.
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
handye9 wrote:

'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
First of all the manufacturer lied about the original weight. Not really a slam at Maverick, they all do it. When I bought my first Bigfoot camper, I knew this and asked the Bigfoot factory rep what it would weigh. I told him I knew they lied on the sticker, wasn't unhappy about that, just wanted the truth between him and me. He swore the sticker was accurate. The day I picked it up I weighed the truck, drove immediately to the dealer and mounted the camper, drove immediately back to the same scale. It was 400 lbs over the sticker, absolutely empty and as delivered from the factory. My new Bigfoot is better: it says 2900 on the door, 3050 on the closet sticker, and 3150 on the invoice. What do I believe? I moved all the stuff over from the old camper, weighing it as I went, about 250lbs. All up now about 3550 which means empty camper probably 3300. Other RVs I have owned were similar with the exception of a Safari Class A motorhome which was quite close to the closet sticker when weighed.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear