cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspension help

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
So I have a 2013 GMC 1 ton doolie pulling a very heavy 44 ft Road Warrior toy hauler.

I added the Firestone air bag system a while back to compensate. Without it, my truck will sit on the overload springs when hooked up.

Everything has worked as designed, except I've blow 2 bags.

So now I'm looking for something better.

Maybe a super spring, but I don't like the idea of a harsher rear end when empty. The truck is also my daily driver.

Maybe a Timbren Load Booster or similar product. Would love to hear feedback from those that use them in similar applications as I have.

Any other ideas you guys might have as well. Thanks
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule
27 REPLIES 27

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Define very heavy. Either you somehow got 2 defective airbags, not likely cause if they work once they are pretty much good, or you have a stupid heavy pin weight if the dually needs airbags maxed out plus some!
Or are they getting cut by something? You're not specific about what happened.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Ric Flair wrote:
To answer some of your questions.

Sitting on the overloads in a static state is not the problem, however, with the dynamics of varying road conditions, and without some help (bag, supersprings, etc) I frequently bottom out.

I fill to ~50-60 PSI. Why I have blow 2 bags is a mystery to me. Both times have been on long trips, some of it over some bad roads.

50-60 before hitching up ???

Ric_Flair
Explorer
Explorer
To answer some of your questions.

Sitting on the overloads in a static state is not the problem, however, with the dynamics of varying road conditions, and without some help (bag, supersprings, etc) I frequently bottom out.

I fill to ~50-60 PSI. Why I have blow 2 bags is a mystery to me. Both times have been on long trips, some of it over some bad roads.
2013 GMC 3500 DRW 4x4 SLT Duramax
2013 Road Warrior 415 Toy Hauler
2013 Kawasaki 4010 Mule

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
In 4 million miles on trucks and pickups I've never blown 1 airbag. Had some leaky lines. We used to load 140,000 lb pipe tubs on a Pete with a 3 axle trailer and airride and never blow them.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Just like a tire, adding weight does not increase the pressure in the bags. The bags simply change shape. They bulge out as the suspension is compressed. He is overinflating them in the first place.

Airbags are there to LEVEL the truck, not return it to empty ride height when loaded. Ideally the truck should ride level when loaded on the overload springs.

Dry pin weight is 3225lbs on the 2014 RW415. Even if loading it added 2000lbs to the pin weight you should be well within the payload capacity of a 2013 DRW Chevy.

X-whatever on these two points:

1. That's what the overloads are there for.
2. How much pressure are you putting in the bags?

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Greene728
Explorer
Explorer
Something about this just don't sound right. 2 blown bags on a 2013 isn't very long of a service life for the bags at all. And is the truck riding on the OL springs when towing causing a problem like ride, bouncing, etc? Reason for asking is as others have stated, thats what they are there for. I'm guessing bags aired up to high, improperly installed, or grossly overloaded (again just a guess). If a 2013 3500 dually with air bags isn't working out for you then I don't know what else would help except maybe a Freightliner MDT. Timbrens, sumo springs, or the like may work. But I cant see them being a better option than bags considering the weight your carrying and a great TV under it already.
2011 Crossroads Cruiser 29BHS ( Traded )
2017 Grand Design 303RLS ( Sold )
Currently camperless ( Just taking a break )
2016 Chevy Silverado 2500 4x4 6.0 and 4:10’s
Me and the wife and our two daughters. Life's good!

fj12ryder
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm also wondering how much air you're putting in those bags, and whether you're adding before or after you've hooked up. My initial reaction is that you're putting too much pressure in the bags when empty and they are over pressurized when you hook up. Either that, or that toyhauler is waaaay heavy.

FWIW I put air bags on my 2001 Dodge dually because it rides like a lumber wagon when on the overloads. Too rough of a ride for my taste. But with 3,000 lbs. on the hitch, and 52 psi. in the bags, it rides very nicely.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

NWKomfort350
Explorer
Explorer
When I am loaded for camping, the truck sets right on the overloads. I have one of those half ton towables. Tows very well!!
1,960 pound pin weight last check.
Chris & Stephanie
2 kids - 1 boy / 1 girl
Winston (boxer)
2016 Open Range Roamer 367BHS
13 F350 6.7 CREW LONG BED SRW
B & W Patriot

02 F350 7.3 SC LB SRW - SOLD
2014 Keystone Cougar 281BHS - SOLD

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Your truck is designed to activate the overload springs when loaded. I am mis-understanding the problem here.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
My chevy 3500 crewcab dually longbed worked great with just the overload springs. The pin weight of my 5th wheel is 3200 lbs plus about 300 lbs of gear in the pickup bed. The ride is smooth when towing. I do get a clunk once in awhile from the overloads on bumps.

The ride empty isn't bad.

If money is no object, my 2008 chevy crewcab 4500 dually came equipped with a LINKS rear suspension. It works great and comes with large air bags like the semi's have.
http://www.linkmfg.com/products/ultraride/

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
It doesn't matter how many springs you add. Your truck axles are rated for a certain max load, as are the tires and brakes. Running with a greater load than that is asking for trouble.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
What is wrong with sitting on overloads when hooked up :H

That is what overloads are for

Timbrens are install and forget. They come into play when loaded and out of play when not loaded. They are also 'progressive'....more load/higher 'spring' rate
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Blown two bags? What pressure are you using?
BTW your truck is working as designed. The main springs are only good for light loads. When loaded to capacity it should ride on the overloads.