cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tahoe vs Q7 - which is a better tow vehicle?

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I expect Tahoe to win this competition, but here are some comparison numbers:

- Length: 204-inch vs 199.6-inch
- Width: 80.5-inch vs 77.5-inch
- Height: 74.4-inch vs 68.5-inch.
- Wheelbase: 116-inch vs 118-inch !!!
- Curb Weight: 5602lb vs 4938
- Official tow rate: 8600 vs 7700

I am comparing this obviously since I do prefer the Q7 as a daily vehicle and I will only own one vehicle for both towing and non-towing. But at the end, I'll not go with anything that is considered dangerous.

My understanding is that the longer wheelbase is good, and in this case, the Q7 has longer wheelbase! Heavier weight is good so Tahoe comes out ahead but it is taller so perhaps the center of gravity is lower in the Q7.

Further more, the rear overhang on the Tahoe appears to be longer, which is supposed to be bad for towing.

I also expect to go over Rockies mountains. Perhaps the super-charged Q7 engine might have an edge here?

I'd like to pull a trailer with GWVR of 6000 and length of 25.5ft. No payload issue as we are very light and not much cargo in the vehicle either.

No 1/2t pickup please as they don't fit in my garage.

Your feedback are much appreciated!
35 REPLIES 35

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the correction Bionic Man. It obviously appears that I have a more difficult time keeping up with new models from import brands by foreign based manufacturers than SoCal. I had no idea Audi even made an SUV. I imagine it must be on a similar platform as the Volkswagon Tourag?

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
My first vehicle was an old WWII Peter Boyko's dad had out in the back
yard under canvas...we rebuilt it that summer. Was 15 at the time and
off roading became a life long love...even though Peter's dad took it
away from us after a few trips up to the local mountains...we didn't have
our drivers licenses yet...

Buddies all had CJ5's when my Dune Buggy didn't cut it in the comfort
and carry area. Discovered the Toyota FJ40 and bought a used one for $2K

The CJ's could out run me in speed but when climbing and crawling...the
full underbelly pan played HUGE. Just fun jawing on my part...they HATED
my FJ...of course all in-line six's. The CJ V6 wasn't a match

Back on the Q7...was going by memory and now find that they have a new
one. Much smaller and new platform...MLB2 platform...which now includes
the Bentley Bentaga SUV

Very much a personal thing, but I'll not take any of these overly complex
vehicles too far off the beaten path...

PS...my Sub K3500 really can't get to my secret place...just close
enough to hike the remaining miles...
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
I prefer the CJ3B over the M38A1, but that's just me. The CJ2A isn't bad. I'm not a big fan of the YJ and XJ, but I do like most iterations of the CJ. Early C/K's are alright too. I've been known to travel with an M1911, and an AR15, but sometimes have an 870 on hand as well, so watch out, if you like to sneak around. I was stopped by the DPS recently, acting as agents of the DOT. Turns out, I was A-OK, according to the LEO. He was fine with my not having a CDL. ๐Ÿ™‚

10-4 on that. :B

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
BigToe wrote:
Glen, a Q7 is an SUV made by Infinity, which is the upscale brand of Nissan. The Q7 is similar in size to, and intended to be somewhat competitive with, a Lexus LX460 aka Toyota Landcruiser, or a Toyota Highlander, or some models of Range Rovers.

Q7 is Audi, not Infiniti. I would also say that it is designed to compete in the full size SUV realm. As laid out in the original post, it is pretty similar in size to a Tahoe.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

BigToe
Explorer
Explorer
Glen, a Q7 is an SUV made by Infinity, which is the upscale brand of Nissan. The Q7 is similar in size to, and intended to be somewhat competitive with, a Lexus LX460 aka Toyota Landcruiser, or a Toyota Highlander, or some models of Range Rovers.

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We have the Tahoe. My feeling is both of your choices are wheel-base-challenged relative to comfortably handling a 6k lb 25ft trailer.

Gary

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like you want more car than TV, but here are some questions you
should answer in order to make the decision

The Q7 is a PL71 platform basis for: Audi Q7, Porsche Cayenne, Volkswagen Touareg

It is a monocoque vs unibody on frame of the GM

How long do you plan on keep this vehicle? Because if a long time and
plan to serious offroad, unibody on frame is my preference (most serious
offroaders too). Because the spotwelds and sheetmetal joints will over
time stress fracture to squeak/rattle

If a pavement car/SUV/CUV, then monocoque is fine...but if driven hard
and kept a looong time...not something I'd recommend either

If more TV performance, then what trailer do you plan? and where do
you plan to tow it?

How do your drive on pavement and off road? How well do you know HOW2
DIY out in the boonies? Define boonies, as my secret place in the Idaho
Panhandle is around 3 days from the nearest pavement. Crawling at a
max of 15MPH and average of 5MPH

Are you willing to scratch your offroader along its side from the headlamp
to the tail lamp? Run up a boulder and drop down the other side of it
and bang the underbelly of your vehicle? That is serious offroading...

Based on your questions...I'd say get the car... ๐Ÿ™‚
-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

rottidawg
Explorer
Explorer
Acei wrote:

I also expect to go over Rockies mountains.

The GMC Denali would be my choice. 420 HP and 460 TQ with an 8 speed transmission that is rated at 22 MPG highway.

I went with the Tahoe 5.3 because I wanted the 2 speed low range transfer case and it flies over the 10,000' plus passes here....but that Denali with the Corvette motor is still calling to me.
2012 Chevy 2500HD LTZ CCSB 4x4 gas
2012 Four Wheel Camper Hawk
2008 Harley Street Glide

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
It depends on where you want to tow. If you are going to stay around major metropolitan areas then the Q7 might be alright but if you are going to be out in areas that don't have Audi dealers for many miles then the Chevrolet/GMC might be a better choice. Every little town usually has a auto/truck repair shop that are familiar with domestic V6/V8 engines, transmissions and there is usually a NAPA store that can get parts overnight.
Just my thoughts.

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
SoCalDesertRider wrote:
I prefer the CJ3B over the M38A1, but that's just me. The CJ2A isn't bad. I'm not a big fan of the YJ and XJ, but I do like most iterations of the CJ. Early C/K's are alright too. I've been known to travel with an M1911, and an AR15, but sometimes have an 870 on hand as well, so watch out, if you like to sneak around. I was stopped by the DPS recently, acting as agents of the DOT. Turns out, I was A-OK, according to the LEO. He was fine with my not having a CDL. ๐Ÿ™‚

That's funny.....
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Thought you were putting together an all in one office/camper hauler truck camper rig, or maybe I'm thinking of a different guy....
IMO Tahoe/Yukon ftw. But I don't have any experience with Audis other than they are more expensive comparatively both to buy and repair and the resale isn't as good a percentage as the American iron.
Not enough difference in wheelbase or rear approach angle to affect towing ability IMO, but the extra width of the Chebby will e noticeable......I think. So many active suspension and handling technology naannies though, I think either would be about the same.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
That Audi Q7 looks like a super nice daily driver. Along the same lines the nicest overall vehicle I ever drove was my wife's BMW X5. All wheel drive, great visibility, easy to get in/out of, great traction with the AWD, safe, etc. Unfortunately, the Tahoe won't be nearly the sporty daily driver but is likely the better tow machine (although still not great).

If you haven't yet looked, you might check out the Dodge Durango mid-size SUV. It's a pretty capable towing rig according to the numbers. I had one a rental for a couple weeks once and was very impressed at its sporty car-like feel for how capable it was at towing. I'd have to think it's close in size to the Q7.

SoCalDesertRid1
Explorer
Explorer
01 International 4800 4x4 CrewCab DT466E Allison MD3060
69Bronco 86Samurai 85ATC250R 89CR500
98Ranger 96Tacoma
20' BigTex flatbed
8' truck camper, 14' Aristocrat TT
73 Kona 17' ski boat & Mercury 1150TB
92F350 CrewCab 4x4 351/C6 285 BFG AT 4.56 & LockRite rear

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I know which one I would prefer as a daily driver. If you buy the Audi Care package, all maintenance for the first five years is covered. It cost less than $800 for my 2013 Q5. Since I bought it, the car has not been back to the dealer for anything other than its annual scheduled service.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Acei
Explorer
Explorer
Both are new models. So the q7 is the recent model that just came out. And yes, I would consider Yukon Denali as well.

I would never DIY, so that's not an issue, and the car will be under warranty for the entire duration of towing. I was mainly interested in their towing capability. When not towing, I much prefer q7's characteristics...