cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Timbrens or Firestone ride rite bags and camper cover?

3KP
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a slide in camper 2001 Northstar 10.5 XL I own a 91 F350 4x4 crew cab. I noticed when I went over some bumps I got a little hopping/bouncing in the rear. Truck is slightly nose high but not to bad. I was told to put different shocks to take the bounce out. But was also told to put bags on it to take the bounce out. So I started to look into bags and found the Timbrens.

Also want to purchase a camper cover but not sure on the size I need? Camper is 10 1/2 ft bottom and 17 ft across the top.

Any suggestions?

Thank you

Michael
25 REPLIES 25

ejfranz
Explorer
Explorer
And another vote for Timbrens.
I also like the KYB Monmax for shocks.
06 Chevy Silverado 3500 Crewcab SRW 4WD - Allison 6 speed & Duramax LBZ.
Upgrades: BD diesel exhaust manifold, Edge Evolution, Timbrens & KYB Monomax.
Camper: 2005 Adventurer 90FWS - Electric jacks, LEDs, 6V batteries, roof rack, ladder & awning.

OH48Lt
Explorer
Explorer
If you need shocks, get shocks. Easy to determine that. Ditto with the springs. A 25 year old truck probably needs new springs. As far as helping with the extra weight, Timbrens are less than $200 and 30 minutes to install if you've never done it before, and they work. Bad ride problems with Timbrens are usually created by improper installation. They have to be 1/2 to 1 inch above the axle tube at rest unloaded. Compare that price with airbags and the much longer installation. Had Timbrens on a 2005 F250 that I loaded up very heavy a few times (13K 5ver), and they really do the job.
2017 Ford F-150 Crew Cab 4x4 3.5 EcoBoost
2014 Cruiser RV Fun Finder 215WKS
2015 Harley Road Glide Special in Amber Whiskey
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Yamaha Grizzly 660 (his)
Polaris Sportsman 500 H.O.(hers)

FCIII
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for timbrens

shellbackcva59
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a 3rd vote for Timbrens.

Daryl_B
Explorer
Explorer
VoodooMedicineMan wrote:
gpascazio wrote:
I would not recommend Timbrens. Had a set on my 2008 F350 and they did not work worst ride ever. So I guess the firestones are the way to go given your choices. However, I would look into updating or replacing the springs. When I took the truck to a spring shop they suggested adding two leafs on each side, after putting the springs in the truck rides great to me this was the best upgrade that I have made to the TC.

I have Timbrens and I thing they're great. They ride about 1 inch away from the axle tube when not loaded and only come in to play when loaded. I have an 05 F350 pulling a 38 ft 5th wheel.

I would also recommend the Timbrens, I used them on a 2006 F-350 and agree with what Voodoo said above.
2022 F-450
2019 Arctic Fox 1140 WB

Past Rigs
2006 F-450 16k GVWR, Kelderman 4-link rear suspension
2009 AF 990
2016 EC 1165
2017 AF 990

Super_Dave
Explorer
Explorer
Air bags add bounce, not reduce it. They level the load. The torquelift stableloads are then added to eliminate the excessive bounce created by having the weight lifted off of the overload springs.
Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Rig: 2018 Big Country 3155 RLK
Boat: 21' North River Seahawk

VoodooMedicineM
Explorer
Explorer
gpascazio wrote:
I would not recommend Timbrens. Had a set on my 2008 F350 and they did not work worst ride ever. So I guess the firestones are the way to go given your choices. However, I would look into updating or replacing the springs. When I took the truck to a spring shop they suggested adding two leafs on each side, after putting the springs in the truck rides great to me this was the best upgrade that I have made to the TC.

I have Timbrens and I thing they're great. They ride about 1 inch away from the axle tube when not loaded and only come in to play when loaded. I have an 05 F350 pulling a 38 ft 5th wheel.
Bill and Joey the dog

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
If you increase the spring rate by adding air springs or stabil loads that engage the overload spring and you still have the pogo stick effect consider full hydraulic shocks vs gas shocks.

Springs are springs whether they are steel or air or rubber. They want to do the pogo stick thing...

gpascazio
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Ford F350 dually
6.4 L Diesel
2010 Eagle Cap 1160
300 W of Solar Panels

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You've got an older truck. I'd probably update the shocks to something like Bilstein 4600s that will only help the ride and update the springs. If your springs are anything like my friends 97, they have lost their arch a while ago.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

davidaf
Explorer
Explorer
A good set of shocks should help but I'd have a look at TorkLift StableLoads as a first step. Often times that excessive bouncing you experience is due to coming off the overload springs. The StableLoads will help keep the overloads engaged to avoid that rebound.

Some prefer Timbrens but I'd rather have bags if going that route. I've found the loaded ride to be better with bags.
2016 - Heartland Landmark Newport
2006 - Lance 1181
2005 - Fleetwood Prowler AX6 365BSQS - San Felipe Mexico Getaway!
2016 - Ram 3500 DRW