cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timbrens vs Airbags vs Helper Spring

tkhollywood
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for some opinions vs each other in which do you prefer and why. Picked up a new truck and I know one of these are going to be needed as a mod to the truck. Just not sure the route to go this time. New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options.
2014 F150 cc
2014 Whitehawk 33bhbs
41 REPLIES 41

RWDIII
Explorer
Explorer
tkhollywood wrote:
Looking for some opinions vs each other in which do you prefer and why. Picked up a new truck and I know one of these are going to be needed as a mod to the truck. Just not sure the route to go this time. New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options.

I used work rites and Monroe load levelers on my half ton Ford
OLD 2006 F150 4wd 7200gvw,Lt275-65-18,Scan Guage,Garmin,flowmaster,load levelers,Firestone work rites Bronco 800

NEW 2015 F250 Scab 4wd 10000 gvw, 6.2 Scan guage,Garmin,work rites,3200 lb load,1800lb Palomino Backpack SS1200

Billzo
Explorer
Explorer
Put Timbrens on my 2500HD and like them. Installed them as recommended without the 1 inch spacer, thought the ride might have been a little soft when towing. Added the 1 inch spacer so that the T's were active all the time. Hated the ride when not towing and really didn't care for it when towing. Removed the spacers again and have left them that way.
2000 McKenzie Monaco 36RLT
2014 Ram 2500 HD Outdoorsman SLT Longbed

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I added a leaf to my old 97 F150, which was an awesome improvement. Added Timbrens to my current 2015 Ram 1500. They do prevent too much squat, but they also have caused a certain amount of porposing on certain interstates. I wasn't impressed with the feel either. I will be upgrading the rear springs this summer. Air bags sound promising, but I know I'm the guy that would find the weak spot at the worst possible moment.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
I tried Timbrens on my previous truck (2013 F150). I really wanted to give them a chance. Seemed like they did a good job of keeping the truck from signalling aliens. But when I got onto one of our infamous concrete freeways towing the trailer and I could feel every last bump, I took them off and went with Roadmaster Active Suspensions. They worked really well and it didn't affect the empty ride at all. I'd still recommend them, plus they are adjustable unlike a helper spring. The only reasons I got rid of that truck was the white knuckle towing in the wind experience and the trailer pushing the truck downhill.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

mcsurveyor
Explorer
Explorer
Had the airbags one my Silverado 1500. Best option I think. With a properly set up WDH, the airbags tightened up the suspension enough to eliminate the secondary bouncing over bumps and just gave an all round more stable ride. I did not use them to help carry weight I shouldn't have been, just stiffen the suspension when I needed to. Perfect solution.
2012 Express 3500 6.0, 3.42, 6-speed, E2 hitch, Prodigy P2
2014 Grey Wolf 26DBH

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
tkhollywood wrote:

I do not recall running across a max payload on this forum since the switch to the new body style in 2015. Did you order the truck? Would you share the payload and receiver rating? Just curious this compares to the prior generation max payload (see signature).

My buddy uses Timbrens on his Chevy 250 and is happy with the results.

The OP's signature was last updated in 2014. So the new rig could be a 2016!
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cummins12V98 wrote:
" New truck is F150 super crew with max toe and max payload options."

Why do anything? Seems to me that truck has everything.

Next, if this is a new truck why didn't not buy something that you don't have to Mod right out of the box?

X2
Seems to me if the truck is Max/Max and within ratings should be fine as is. Heck my 2001 Ram 2500 is well over GVWR, but doesn't need any help to sill sit a tad rear high.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Next, if this is a new truck why didn't not buy something that you don't have to Mod right out of the box?

I think the OP is having a little fun with us. "Everybody" knows that a maxed out F-150 can tow a space shuttle and more. Or is that another brand?

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Community Alumni
Not applicable
A good alternative to Timbrens are the Firestone Work Rite. I have them on my Ram 1500 and they work great. The Firestone units are a little cheaper and stay pliable when the temperature gets below freezing, which I need occasionally.

Dave_H_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well I am an air bag guy. Been running them on my last two "three quarter" F250's

I bagged my current truck before it was even hooked to the fifth wheel.

I like the level ride plus I think they help when I hit one of those big adzed woop de doo's unexpectedly going on or off a bridge.

Airing up and down is not a rob for me, and I get the ride I want.

When I drop the psi to zero (I know what the mfg says) I think the ride is the same as not having them on. Kind like a log wagon. :W

Sport45
Explorer
Explorer
AlmostAnOldGuy wrote:
I do not recall running across a max payload on this forum since the switch to the new body style in 2015. Did you order the truck? Would you share the payload and receiver rating? Just curious this compares to the prior generation max payload (see signature).

His(her?) signature leads me to believe it's a 2014 model.
’19 F350 SRW CCLB PSD Fx4
'00 F250, CC SWB 4x2, V-10 3.73LS. (sold)
'83 F100 SWB 4x2, 302 AOD 3.55. (parked)
'05 GMC Envoy 4x2 4.2 3.73L.
'12 Edge 2.0 Ecoboost
'15 Cherokee Trailhawk

AlmostAnOldGuy
Explorer
Explorer
tkhollywood wrote:

2012 F150 HD/Max Payload (8200 GVWR, 2176 payload) SuperCrew EcoBoost
2008 Komfort Trailblazer T254S

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
Dano1955 wrote:
Bill & Kate wrote:
If you have leaf springs, the Loadmaster Suspension System has worked well for us.

We have airbags on our older 3/4 ton Chevy van, and while they work fine, they are a pain to keep adjusting air all the time, and the on board air system is pricey.

My mechanic recommended the Loadmaster for out newer E350 van, and they certainly work as advertised, and were cost effective.

Broken link

ooops! Sorry. Editied it try this Active Suspension
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel