cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing a larger Travel Trailer

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Guys, newbie here. I recently upgraded to a 35ft Nomad Joey that has a dry weight of 7250 lbs, but the sticker on the side says it weighs like 8100 lbs(not sure what that weight means, dry weight plus whats in the trailer?). We bought our 1st camper last December, 24ft light travel trailer but soon realized we wanted to upgrade since we have 2 children and fell in love with camping. I have a 2007 Toyota crewmax that has a max towing capacity around 10,400 lbs. We have taken it on a short trip of about 30-40 miles away from the house but we are getting ready for a 3-4 hour trip and I'm a little nervous. I've seen a lot of campers my size on the road being towed by 3/4 ton trucks. Should my Tundra be ok? or did I over do it with this big of a travel trailer? Recommended top speed? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
32 REPLIES 32

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
buffaloKev wrote:

I talked to a dealership and they told me I was fine with my WD set up and sway bars...

Dealership will say you can tow it with a VW beetle to make a sale!..:R

If a salesperson's mouth is moving - don't believe him/her..;)

~

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Dog Trainer wrote:
This year we decided to sell our MH that we have put 80,000 miles on.
I have a love affair with my 2010 F150 max tow pkg. I really like the Flagstaff classic superlite series of TT. Here is where my fun began.
Our first impression was that we could tow any of the superlite trailer configurations, then I started studying the advertised weights. There was a variation of weights but I noticed the greater variation was in the tongue weights as advertised (DRY Weight ).
I know all the ford factory weights on my F150 so It became very clear v that with most of these classics we would have enough tongue weight to be over our GVW, long before we came to our cgvw or trailer tow rating.
We have camped long enough to know a couple of things.
1. we have been out west about all we want we have seen the parks no need to trapse up and down too many mtns.

2. we now have a lot of time to to take our time and not be rushed into traveling on bad road days. We can get there when we do.

3. I have a lot of hours both in the MH and with towing fairly heavy loads although many of those hours were in Diesel.

4.) We are not going to spend much more than a month on the road at a time we have lovely family and friends that we enjoy at the S&B location in the future we plan to stay put and not travel a lot other than to the destination.

5.) We have learned to be light in our packing and needs we do not carry a lot of dishes, silverware and heavy pots and pans. We tend to buy light weight disposable storage containers 9 In lieu of glass bowls ) and throw them out after a few uses. We use paper and plastic dishes and cups most of the time. we have learned to take a few canned goods and staples and then stop at the store as needed. We keep the refrig to a few days supply at a time and a few things like condiments.

6. my best educated guess is that for the 2 of us we will have about 700 extra pounds to be distributed in the Trailer

In all the thinking and research I decided to add a couple of mods to my F150 I Did not add these mods to go beyond any payload or other factory specs. I did them to add a margin of safety and stability.
I replaced the factory tires (P rated) with Michelin Lt LX/MS E rated tires I did this to stiffen the sidewalls and to help that squishy side to side movement in the P tire.
I installed Timbren SES (rear only) again to help the stability and the inadvertent bouncing from rough roads.
I have a 5star tow tune on an SCT programer that deals with shifts and locks out 6th gear in the tow/haul mode. I know the 5.4 makes HP and torque in the 4000 rpm range that is where the benefit of the tuner is at its peak.
Now getting back to our selection we chose the 831RESS because it is a front living set up and has the least amount of tongue weight. It also has a center kitchen so much of the heavier kitchen items will end up amid ship. I hope that with proper packing we can keep the tounge weight to about 950 lbs. There is very little outside storage so less tempting to start hording. When we sat down and looked at all those past years on the road we realized how much junk we hauled on the what if or that would be nice to have. We have weeded those items down.
I agree that too many put fate into the hands of Ill informed sales people that want to sell a truck or RV. I cringe when I read some of posts and the questions. I believe some people would not be safe towing a pop up with a one ton. Why people do not carefully consider all the aspects before a purchase before they are in over their head is unclear. It seems common sense and due diligence is not on the plate of many.
I hope our own choice will work out we will try it for a bit and if not we will change TV if we feel unsafe or overloaded. Point is we have not drank the kool aid from a sales person. If you find me upside down along the road it will not be because someone talked me into something other than my self.

That 2nd to last paragraph you wrote should be required reading for ANYONE looking to buy their first travel trailer!

buffaloKev
Explorer
Explorer
One reason I put my trust into a salesperson is I'm fairly new to camping and have no relationship with anyone who enjoys camping. I probably rushed into this decision to buy such a big trailer, lesson learned. Thanks to everyone that had some helpful input

Dog_Trainer
Explorer
Explorer
This year we decided to sell our MH that we have put 80,000 miles on.
I have a love affair with my 2010 F150 max tow pkg. I really like the Flagstaff classic superlite series of TT. Here is where my fun began.
Our first impression was that we could tow any of the superlite trailer configurations, then I started studying the advertised weights. There was a variation of weights but I noticed the greater variation was in the tongue weights as advertised (DRY Weight ).
I know all the ford factory weights on my F150 so It became very clear v that with most of these classics we would have enough tongue weight to be over our GVW, long before we came to our cgvw or trailer tow rating.
We have camped long enough to know a couple of things.
1. we have been out west about all we want we have seen the parks no need to trapse up and down too many mtns.

2. we now have a lot of time to to take our time and not be rushed into traveling on bad road days. We can get there when we do.

3. I have a lot of hours both in the MH and with towing fairly heavy loads although many of those hours were in Diesel.

4.) We are not going to spend much more than a month on the road at a time we have lovely family and friends that we enjoy at the S&B location in the future we plan to stay put and not travel a lot other than to the destination.

5.) We have learned to be light in our packing and needs we do not carry a lot of dishes, silverware and heavy pots and pans. We tend to buy light weight disposable storage containers 9 In lieu of glass bowls ) and throw them out after a few uses. We use paper and plastic dishes and cups most of the time. we have learned to take a few canned goods and staples and then stop at the store as needed. We keep the refrig to a few days supply at a time and a few things like condiments.

6. my best educated guess is that for the 2 of us we will have about 700 extra pounds to be distributed in the Trailer

In all the thinking and research I decided to add a couple of mods to my F150 I Did not add these mods to go beyond any payload or other factory specs. I did them to add a margin of safety and stability.
I replaced the factory tires (P rated) with Michelin Lt LX/MS E rated tires I did this to stiffen the sidewalls and to help that squishy side to side movement in the P tire.
I installed Timbren SES (rear only) again to help the stability and the inadvertent bouncing from rough roads.
I have a 5star tow tune on an SCT programer that deals with shifts and locks out 6th gear in the tow/haul mode. I know the 5.4 makes HP and torque in the 4000 rpm range that is where the benefit of the tuner is at its peak.
Now getting back to our selection we chose the 831RESS because it is a front living set up and has the least amount of tongue weight. It also has a center kitchen so much of the heavier kitchen items will end up amid ship. I hope that with proper packing we can keep the tounge weight to about 950 lbs. There is very little outside storage so less tempting to start hording. When we sat down and looked at all those past years on the road we realized how much junk we hauled on the what if or that would be nice to have. We have weeded those items down.
I agree that too many put fate into the hands of Ill informed sales people that want to sell a truck or RV. I cringe when I read some of posts and the questions. I believe some people would not be safe towing a pop up with a one ton. Why people do not carefully consider all the aspects before a purchase before they are in over their head is unclear. It seems common sense and due diligence is not on the plate of many.
I hope our own choice will work out we will try it for a bit and if not we will change TV if we feel unsafe or overloaded. Point is we have not drank the kool aid from a sales person. If you find me upside down along the road it will not be because someone talked me into something other than my self.
2016 Newmar Baystar 3401
2011 HHR Toad
Daktari & Lydia Cavalier King Charles , Annie get your guns, our English setter (fur Bearing Children)

CampingN_C_
Explorer
Explorer
Dealer sold my in-laws a 34ft 5er with three slides to go behind their Ram 1500.
He literally said "it's got a Hemi, you're fine".
I wouldn't let them take my kids anywhere with them !!
2018 Ram 3500 DRW CCLB Aisin 4.10 4x4

2018 Jayco Talon 413T
B&W Companion

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
jaycocreek wrote:
The only time I was told my half ton was too small, was when I asked two different dealers what I had to do to it to tow a Fiver. Both dealers said you will not be happy with anything less than a ¾ ton

And the 3/4 ton in the fifth wheel market is mostly overloaded as well as in the pickup camper market,I would venture to guess more so than so called 1/2 tons in the travel trailer market.

Let's face it...they bought too much trailer the first time around. Hopefully, the dealership can mitigate this situation and make switching trailers as painless as possible.

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
TSeck wrote:
Had the same thing happen to me. Salesman said "Sure, that'll pull it". Yeah to the house. After its loaded, kids and dogs are in the car and you take off down the interstate, get ready for the "white knuckles" effect.
Just one experience of trailer sway will do it.

See signature for the fix.... 🙂

White knuckles? Wow! I have not been able to duplicate that. Trailer sway? None here with my Equilizer WD Hitch. It all comes down to a properly set up combo to tow comfortably. But I've only been doing it for 10 years so I'm a bit of a newby.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody comes on here asking how they can lower the payload or towing ability of their tow vehicles. That's why I choose to error on the side of a little extra capability.

PAThwacker
Explorer
Explorer
I go by the 80% formula to disregard published tow rating

Max tow rating example: 7600 x 80%. = 6080lb.
Max hitch weight 6080 x 13% = 790lbs

If you don't have 790lb of available payload after loading the truck the 6080lb loaded trailer is too big!

Others say Deduct 2000lbs off tow rating, or 20% less than published.
It all is the same??
2015 Keystone Springdale Summerland 257rl
Tow vehicle: 2003 GMC K1500 ext lb
Previous: 14 years of 3 popups and a hybrid tt

APT
Explorer
Explorer
SprinklerMan wrote:
buffaloKev wrote:
Thanks for the replies guys, very helpful. I talked to a dealership and they told me I was fine with my WD set up and sway bars... but after reading these replies, I may need to down size to a smaller trailer.

Thats how you sell a trailer .

That's how to sell two trailers!
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only time I was told my half ton was too small, was when I asked two different dealers what I had to do to it to tow a Fiver. Both dealers said you will not be happy with anything less than a ¾ ton

And the 3/4 ton in the fifth wheel market is mostly overloaded as well as in the pickup camper market,I would venture to guess more so than so called 1/2 tons in the travel trailer market.
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

john_bet
Explorer
Explorer
Check inside the kitchen cabinets. There should be a sticker showing several weights to include GVW,weight of water onboard,weight of propane ondoard.etc.
2018 Ram 3500 SRW CC LB 6.7L Cummins Auto 3.42 gears
2018 Grand Design 337RLS

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
I tow a 31 Foot tt with a 2008 crewmax without the trd which adds the blistein shocks.My TT Brochure claims 6800 lbs dry and sticker 6333 lbs dry. one day I will weigh to find which is correct.

I have the 4 pt equi-l-izer and once I got it setup correctly which the dealer did not , it tows real good. I have a full exhaust so when the kids are sleeping I the back I geneally turn the tow/haul off on the highways.

I even have nitto grapper for tire and on 20 inch aftermarket rims. I have only towed around 1000 miles in 2 months. maybe I will change my mind next year when I do first 400 mile in one day tow. Maximum distance in one go was 175 miles so far. Again, it ran smooth and . wished the full exhaust was quieter. We got the camper after the truck .I am happy with this setup. I might in the future get a smaller TT when the kids grow up.

satz
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

TSeck
Explorer
Explorer
Had the same thing happen to me. Salesman said "Sure, that'll pull it". Yeah to the house. After its loaded, kids and dogs are in the car and you take off down the interstate, get ready for the "white knuckles" effect.
Just one experience of trailer sway will do it.

See signature for the fix.... 🙂
N. Fla. Family of 6 (2 Eagle Scouts!)
Looking at full time RV after retirement in 3 years.