cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Towing with a Manual

zombojoe
Explorer
Explorer
Hey folks. I'm helping a buddy of mine move his trailer from Edmonton to Vancouver. It should be roughly a 12-14 hour drive depending on traffic and route taken. The trailer is approx 38 ft long and weights roughly 10,000 loaded just to give specifics. The thing I'm a little iffy on is his tow vehicle. It's a 2015 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 with a 6-speed manual transmission (my buddy injured his leg, hence me giving him a hand). Don't get me wrong, the trailer doesn't exceed any ratings, even with the two of us and our gear we should be fine. It's just that I've towed and I've driven manuals, but I've never towed with a manual. Are there any tips or tricks one has to know? Does anybody have any experience towing with a manual transmission? I'd just like to get an idea what I'm in for. All help is appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

nofoolin
Explorer
Explorer
I think you are aware of how to launch and drive the truck trailer combo, just ask your friend to let you know if you are not driving his truck the way he likes. I think most of us are a little protective of our trucks and it is hard to be a passenger when someone else is driving. That is probably why he bought a stick. He wants and likes the feel. The better you mimic that feel he likes will make the trip even smoother. You sound like you are a good friend, enjoy the trip.

zombojoe
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the info guys, I really appreciate it. I wasn't aware of the zero throttle launch system,and it sounds like a great system. I'm heading over to Edmonton tomorrow, and I'll give a quick rundown on how the trip went after I get back. Thanks again!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rhagfo wrote:
JIMNLIN wrote:
I pull a 11200 lb 5th wheel rv trailer and several GN trailers up to 16k with my '03 Dodge/Cummins NV5600 6 speed manual 3.73 axle with the Jacobs exhaust brake.

Its a dream machine for towing heavy trailers however not everyone can use a manual and make glass smooth up and down shifts. After a while you can make those smooth shifts.

The Cummins from '03 and up uses the zero throttle launch system. Simply let the clutch (keep your foot off the go pedel) out and the Cummins rpms comes up which eliminates stalling on any grade. With the deep 1st and 2nd gear there is no need to slip the clutch....ever.
If its flat I take off in 2nd gear empty of pulling. When empty I go with 2nd....4th ....then 6th. Pulling a load I run the gears.

I believe that that is true from 99.5 on up, once the IP was electronically controlled.

The best part of that feature is when you're crawling along slow dirt roads. You can select any of the first 3 gears and, when empty, the truck will maintain idle speed even uphill with no throttle input. Dooing it with a load on causes the engine to surge and then back off too much in 3rd though.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
JIMNLIN wrote:
I pull a 11200 lb 5th wheel rv trailer and several GN trailers up to 16k with my '03 Dodge/Cummins NV5600 6 speed manual 3.73 axle with the Jacobs exhaust brake.

Its a dream machine for towing heavy trailers however not everyone can use a manual and make glass smooth up and down shifts. After a while you can make those smooth shifts.

The Cummins from '03 and up uses the zero throttle launch system. Simply let the clutch (keep your foot off the go pedel) out and the Cummins rpms comes up which eliminates stalling on any grade. With the deep 1st and 2nd gear there is no need to slip the clutch....ever.
If its flat I take off in 2nd gear empty of pulling. When empty I go with 2nd....4th ....then 6th. Pulling a load I run the gears.

I believe that that is true from 99.5 on up, once the IP was electronically controlled.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
We bought the trailer in my signature last year in Edmonton and towed it back to the coast with the truck in my signature and it towed like a dream (my truck also has the G56 manual transmission). We have since towed the trailer (which weighs 16,000 lbs) on countless trips and the truck handles it extremely well. As others have said, the Cummins has a zero launch feature so you can let out the clutch with the transmission in first gear with no throttle. The truck will take off like nothing is even hooked to it. You can start the truck off in second gear with no trailer connected. As others have said, don't lug the engine (the Cummins will tow that trailer in 6th gear at 1500 RPM or less for most of the trip), and there really is no reason to bring it above 2500-2700 RPM. When you do reach a large hill that will require a downshift, downshift it a gear fairly early to keep it around 2000-2500 RPM and it will march up the hill easily.

Ensure that the exhaust brake is on FULL setting (one push of the button on the centre portion of the dash and the icon in the instrument panel will light up yellow). If the icon is green then the exhaust brake is on AUTO setting which is not as good for towing. I usually descend moderate hills with my truck and trailer in 5th gear and steeper mountain passes in 4th gear and rarely have to use the service brakes.

You will be surprised how well the truck handles that trailer and the trip will go quickly! Drive safely in the summer traffic.
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
That's where that G56 shines is towing.
Use 1st to take off. Little burp on the throttle as you let the clutch out.
Make your up shifts around 2500rpms in general so you aren't lugging the next gear with that big trailer and enjoy the ride. It's a dream to tow with.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Chuck_thehammer
Explorer
Explorer
low rpms to start out.. most can do it AT idle.. till you try once.

little to No slippage of the clutch... match RPM to road speed per gear.

You will be fine. We all have learned.. and before 1960 all Towing trucks were manual.

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
The only manual truck I've driven was an 89 F-250.
To help the original poster, and for my benefit, is the first gear a granny gear? Basically only used to get a load started, otherwise you start the truck in 2nd gear? Also, is the first gear synchronized? I know it wasn't in my 89 (That or the synchros were gone by the time the truck was handed to me).
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)

jake2250
Explorer
Explorer
I would suggest going out for a drive with the truck before you tow with it.. Get a feel for it. Not Rocket Science! Have a good trip!! Nice truck Nice trailer, should make for a nice trip!! Good luck!!

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
rhagfo wrote:
One other thing, with a diesel, you don't need to slip the clutch, don't "dump it", but you don't need to rev before releasing quickly. Drive the truck through town a while to get use to the feeling.

This is spot on. You mentioned that you have never towed heavy with a manual. A key difference between your friend's truck and, say my VW Passat, is that the truck launches with zero throttle. You choose the appropriate gear (usually the lowest with that trailer) and smoothly let the clutch out to take off, gently rolling on the throttle as the clutch becomes fully engaged. It seems counterintuitive to drive this way, but it works even when launching on a hill.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

Lessmore
Explorer II
Explorer II
You'll be going over the Rockies, my concerns would be keeping it in the right gear for engine braking down hill and being careful where you start up...re; steep inclines. But having 6 speeds, lots of low end torque and a low first gear, I would think you'll be fine.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
The only thing you should concern yourself with is keeping the motor in its RPM range. Thats what that big lever in the middle is for. If the truck is a 6.7L Cummins that means power comes on at about 1700 RPM and peaks around 3000 RPM. So, basically dont lug it and dont let it scream.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
:h

Do it every time I hook up the 5er!
never been an issue for me, 1st is usually not too low for stop & go traffic, not that hard to go between 1st and 2nd anyway. We usually get stuck in some S&G traffic every trip to the Oregon coast through the small coastal towns. Watch your revs, don't lug the engine and you should be fine.
Use the Exhaust brake and gears on the down hill side of hills, you really should not need to use your service brakes except, if traffic slows suddenly or the grade is steep.

One other thing, with a diesel, you don't need to slip the clutch, don't "dump it", but you don't need to rev before releasing quickly. Drive the truck through town a while to get use to the feeling.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"